Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Is exit glacier still there? wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll offer NO... NOOOOO LOL. First time I ever heard my mother use the MF word, following by Motor Home. Preceded by ANOTHER. LOL. That was in the 80s.

Have fun and enjoy!

I think I"m going to like Alaska the most maybe Sept through May.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Is exit glacier still there? wink

I missed something here...... confused smile

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
One word of advice:

Alaska Statutes Title 28. Motor Vehicles § 28.35.140. Unlawful obstruction or blocking of traffic;  duty to yield to following traffic

(b) A person operating a motor vehicle at any time on a two-lane roadway outside of an urban area shall pull the motor vehicle off the roadway at the first opportunity to pull over safely if there are five or more motor vehicles immediately following that motor vehicle.  A person operating a motor vehicle who violates this subsection is guilty of an infraction as described in AS 28.90.010(d) and shall be punished by a fine of at least $100.

Note, this does not say "unless you are going the speed limit"... Lot's of RV'ers (and others) go 55/65 in the straightaways (passing zones), then slow to 35-45 on the curves (double yellow).... pisses a lot of people off.

Enjoy your drive, please be considerate.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
One thing you might try is looking in Craigslist for an individual who is looking to rent out their motorhome.
We did this in 2010 for 3 weeks. It was waaay cheaper than renting from ABC or CruiseAmerica.

the 2 times we went and rented an rv.….it was through abc….rent it well in advance and you can get it for about half price.....bob

Rent it well in advance.
Worth repeating.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LoadClear
One word of advice:

Alaska Statutes Title 28. Motor Vehicles § 28.35.140. Unlawful obstruction or blocking of traffic;  duty to yield to following traffic

(b) A person operating a motor vehicle at any time on a two-lane roadway outside of an urban area shall pull the motor vehicle off the roadway at the first opportunity to pull over safely if there are five or more motor vehicles immediately following that motor vehicle.  A person operating a motor vehicle who violates this subsection is guilty of an infraction as described in AS 28.90.010(d) and shall be punished by a fine of at least $100.

Note, this does not say "unless you are going the speed limit"... Lot's of RV'ers (and others) go 55/65 in the straightaways (passing zones), then slow to 35-45 on the curves (double yellow).... pisses a lot of people off.

Thank you for the far better description and salient points!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2

So it's gone? I will have to look next time by!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LoadClear
One word of advice:

Will add that there are a bunch of new slow-vehicle (RV/motorhome) lanes added here on the KP.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Thanks, Chris!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots to do on the Kenai. Seward is a must. Take the all day tour on Major Marine----there are 2 companies that do the tour. Take the one with the Salmon & Prime Rib buffet. They also have a Park Ranger onboard. For sure do the Wildlife Center in Seward---You'll see the same animals as on the tour but close up. Puffins are my favorite. Exit Glacier is a nice hike. I would also hike up to Russian River Falls----in July you'll see "Reds" or sockeyes jumping.

Lots of neat stuff in the town of Kenai. In July it's fun to sit up on the bluff & watch the dip netters. Some really neat old Russian churches there. Take a flight over to Wolverine Creek for bear watching---that's a great day.

Anchor Point is nice---watch them put the boats out with the bull dozier. Can you still calm at Calm Gulch?

Homer is a must. Have a beer at the Salty Dog. I like to halibut fish there. Be sure to enter the derby. Hopefully the fire weed will be in bloom

I've got a cabin on the Kenai River just outside of Soldotna. I've played tour guide a few times. To be honest we have never leave the peninsula except to fly out of ANC. Watching the tide come in on Turnabout is something to see.

The only time I saw Denali was on a bear hunt & we drove up to Cantwell. Then down the Denali Hiway about 70 miles to Alpine Creek Lodge. It was a bucket list grizzly hunt with Jake Jefferson. Killed a nice grizzly. Only bad part was we left before I could catch a grayling.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Lots to do on the Kenai. Seward is a must. Take the all day tour on Major Marine----there are 2 companies that do the tour. Take the one with the Salmon & Prime Rib buffet. They also have a Park Ranger onboard. For sure do the Wildlife Center in Seward---You'll see the same animals as on the tour but close up. Puffins are my favorite. Exit Glacier is a nice hike. I would also hike up to Russian River Falls----in July you'll see "Reds" or sockeyes jumping.

Lots of neat stuff in the town of Kenai. In July it's fun to sit up on the bluff & watch the dip netters. Some really neat old Russian churches there. Take a flight over to Wolverine Creek for bear watching---that's a great day.

Anchor Point is nice---watch them put the boats out with the bull dozier. Can you still calm at Calm Gulch?

Homer is a must. Have a beer at the Salty Dog. I like to halibut fish there. Be sure to enter the derby. Hopefully the fire weed will be in bloom

I've got a cabin on the Kenai River just outside of Soldotna. I've played tour guide a few times. To be honest we have never leave the peninsula except to fly out of ANC. Watching the tide come in on Turnabout is something to see.

The only time I saw Denali was on a bear hunt & we drove up to Cantwell. Then down the Denali Hiway about 70 miles to Alpine Creek Lodge. It was a bucket list grizzly hunt with Jake Jefferson. Killed a nice grizzly. Only bad part was we left before I could catch a grayling.

Good points Bob. Just a couple technicalities.

Anchor point and deep creek launch/retrieve sport boats in the surf via tractor.

Anchor Point also seems to be a locus of KP crime. Drugs? perhaps?

It's Turnagain Arm where a bore tide can be seen.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Crescent Creek is pretty close to your cabin and on the way from ANC. Graying live there... hint...
wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
great advice up here. we did an 8 week RV trip from TX in 2017. Coastal AK was definitely my favorite.

I didnt really find the RV campgrounds that crowded. busy yes, but not "crowded".

definitely try to find time to be "off grid" a couple days if you can. my bunch did a 3 day 2 night canoe trip and got lucky with weather.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of good advice so far and I'll throw this one out since I didn't see it mentioned yet (or just missed it). If the weather is conducive, take a trip down to Valdez, it's a part of Alaska that often gets overlooked because it's sort of out of the way. Some beautiful country down that way.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, thanks for taking the time to respond. So, thinking temps will range from 50 to 65 degrees every day? Trying to get a feel for outerwear.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Lots of good advice so far and I'll throw this one out since I didn't see it mentioned yet (or just missed it). If the weather is conducive, take a trip down to Valdez, it's a part of Alaska that often gets overlooked because it's sort of out of the way. Some beautiful country down that way.

Nailed that comment IOHO. !

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Its receding faster than my hairline.

So it's gone?

Ouch!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was shocked a couple of years ago to see no sign of Portage Glacier where it used to be in the mid 80's when I was working up there. Talk about receding hairline!

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
great advice up here. we did an 8 week RV trip from TX in 2017. Coastal AK was definitely my favorite.

I didnt really find the RV campgrounds that crowded. busy yes, but not "crowded".

definitely try to find time to be "off grid" a couple days if you can. my bunch did a 3 day 2 night canoe trip and got lucky with weather.

If you decide to try and get off the map for a couple of days shoot me a PM. My wife and I have a lodge here.

Temps are really going to be area specific and weather dependent. I’d plan on everything from 40’s and wind driven rain to low 80’s and calm.

Last edited by ykrvak; 02/20/19.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,198
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.