Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have always been a leather boot guy. Recently I got a new pup and we are out tromping the swampy and slushy fields and woods everyday exercising and training. I was thinking about the elk guides I went with in Alberta a few years ago and they wore nothing but rubber knee boots everyday and hiked everywhere in them. I’d like to try some. I know a lot hunters wear them.
Any particular ones you’ve actually owned and worn and can recommend? Don’t need insulated, but good for lots of walking. Thanks!

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i use Muck brand wetlands

FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lacrosse. Tight around the ankle, and a steel shank.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my Muck's.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Lacrosse. Tight around the ankle, and a steel shank.

I have 50 years experience that says Jim's offers excellent advice. More so if you don't need insulation. Their Grange boot can be had for $60 or so, are fairly light, and quite durable.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grange LaCrosse. They are made in China now but mine have held up well. If you need cold weather comfort they come in 2 insulated versions and both have a lug type sole rather than tractor tread.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Muck boots, they make several different models.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Xtratuf

Is there any other ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used the LaCrosse grange for lots of years and Red Ball before that, made in the same style. They do not fit after the China move like they did before, but hold up pretty good. I used to wear all the tread off before they started leaking but not now. Close, but not worn smooth. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
LaCrosse if you go thru any trash/briars/sticks... if you are just going thru wet grass, Mucks are fine... I've actually had both.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Muck boots, they make several different models.

I have Bog boots. They're very similar to Mucks but fit slightly different. Go with the one that fits you the best.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have used the LaCrosse grange for lots of years and Red Ball before that, made in the same style. They do not fit after the China move like they did before, but hold up pretty good. I used to wear all the tread off before they started leaking but not now. Close, but not worn smooth. miles

Have had several pair of the LaCrosse Grange here too. Miles if you used the old Red Ball rubber boots you been on this earth for more than just a little while. My father (96) and uncle (89) wore out many a pair of those RB's hunting quail, back when we had some in AR. Later they switched to LaCrosse and that's what I grew up using.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by munsterlander
I have always been a leather boot guy. Recently I got a new pup and we are out tromping the swampy and slushy fields and woods everyday exercising and training. I was thinking about the elk guides I went with in Alberta a few years ago and they wore nothing but rubber knee boots everyday and hiked everywhere in them. I’d like to try some. I know a lot hunters wear them.
Any particular ones you’ve actually owned and worn and can recommend? Don’t need insulated, but good for lots of walking. Thanks!

Mucks are good boots, but I'd avoid the entry level price point - not from quality, but from walking in them over distance.

I've got Irish Setter and Browning in heavier duty rubber boots, and the difference in heel slippage and comfort is very noticeable.

The better boots for what you describe will have a heavier duty sole, some stiffness in the arch, and generally have a much more aggressive tread.

The light tread tends to slip for me, I've tumbled more in my light Mucks than my other boots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think the Grange is the best for toughness and non-insulation. The MUCK's are comfortable/warm and I use them both for farm and hunting but I think the Grange will outlast them....

Since it sounds like you're doing a fair amount of walking...not just to the tractor and back....regardless of what you get, pull the paper thin insole out and replace it with a Superfeet green (or whatever aftermarket insole you prefer). Using a quality insole that fits you can change a boot and I don't think it shows up more anywhere than it does in a rubber boot. In some it may change the fit so take that into account.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles if you used the old Red Ball rubber boots you been on this earth for more than just a little while. My father (96) and uncle (89) wore out many a pair of those RB's hunting quail, back when we had some in AR.

Yeah, I got in on the tail end of the Red Ball boots and good quail hunting. I am old enough to remember when there was no deer here. Now we have deer and no quail. I also remember when we had lots of woods in east Arkansas, and no soybeans. Cotton was king. miles

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by milespatton
Miles if you used the old Red Ball rubber boots you been on this earth for more than just a little while. My father (96) and uncle (89) wore out many a pair of those RB's hunting quail, back when we had some in AR.

Yeah, I got in on the tail end of the Red Ball boots and good quail hunting. I am old enough to remember when there was no deer here. Now we have deer and no quail. I also remember when we had lots of woods in east Arkansas, and no soybeans. Cotton was king. miles

Yep, my uncle said he was 16 before he ever saw a deer track. Our deer camp originated as a fox hunters camp. Fox population went down, deer population came up and they wanted to run those dogs. Mom was from DeWitt. Back in the day (for me) it was cotton, rice, milo, winter wheat, soy beans and oats. Now it's corn, rice, soy beans and winter wheat. Lots of fields have been let go.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Xtratuf is your feet’s best friend!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mom was from DeWitt.

I am a little North of there, near Des Arc. miles

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would steer clear of the Muck boot brand. While I own several pair of their different models, I have learned that a tube of shoe-goo is your best friend if you plan to wear them in the woodlands.
They may be fine (and in fact are!) in the grassland, but are extremely susceptible to snagging and tearing of the uppers (any area above the molded lower) when used in brush and dried tangles.
They are relatively warm, but no where near the advertised temps. (i.e. the Insulated Woody Max shows a comfort range of 60 to -40 F, but at best is good for 0 F or possibly -10 F if you are
continually walking. (We get to test the warmth claims every Winter here in Northern Minnesota smile.)

Very little experience with most of the other brands mentioned, other than the "Red Ball" and "Ball Band" rubber boots some 50 years of so ago. They were fine, but i'm sure there are better
brands available in this day and age.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Another vote for LaCrosse Grange

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.