-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do pause for at least a day and wander through some of the redwood groves.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Id suggest driving strategic sections of it combined with I5 for speed.

After 8 hours of looking at trees and ocean it all starts to look the same, especially when you continuously have to drive defensively for the idiot tourist morons that wander into your lane while looking at breath taking views.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Mendocino is nice. The problem with cutting back and forth to I-5 is that some of the connectors are worse than Highway One. Point Reyes is nice scenery with some old Coast Artillery spotting/ranging ruins thrown in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it were me, I would wander down 1 to about Bodega / Tomales Bay..... Then cut over east through Petaluma/ Fairfield and catch interstate 80 east..... hammered down for the Nevada State line...... you will not see any ocean view or giant redwood south of San Francisco that you didn’t already see North of it...... just becomes a urban third world chithole south of there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not actually sure how much of a detour it would be, but the Lava Beds National Monument is pretty cool.

https://www.nps.gov/labe/index.htm

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IB, the Oregon stretch is kinda slow going. Don't plan on doing 60 mph. Manzanita Beach on the north Oregon coast is a nice long pretty beach for walking. Little towns all along the coast to look around in. You can buy a kite at a local shop and fly on the beach which is a blast if you enjoy that sort of thing.

If you have a smart phone you can Google gunshops in the upcoming towns before you get there and hopefully hit them all on your way by! I've picked up some sweet rifles along the coast. Local economies are depressed so retailers appreciate out of area cash.

The redwoods are a very few miles inland right near the California/Oregon border and you really need to see them to believe them. I'd take 2-3 days minimum to go thru Oregon, can't speak to the rest.

We are about 100 miles inland but my wife and I would love to meet you on the coast on your way thru if you'd like to do lunch or whatever. Don't hesitate to give a shout.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Not actually sure how much of a detour it would be, but the Lava Beds National Monument is pretty cool.

Very cool place, but counting the driving too and from the coast, it's going to eat up a whole day depending on the route one takes.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Very cool place, but counting the driving too and from the coast, it's going to eat up a whole day depending on the route one takes.

Geno

Yeah some cool history aspects to it and then rock formations too.

Still kind of amazes me how low population Northern California is compared to Southern California. Some of those counties don't have that many more people than they did in the 1870's.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Gold Bluff/fern canyon is worth the ride on a rough gravel road just north of Orick CA. Old 101 just south of Klamath CA.travels through the fed park(BIG REDWOODS). Mouth of the Klamath overlook on the north side of river. Jedediah Smith State Park and a ride up to Smith River are a must.
All of the Or. coast. Jet boat ride up the Rogue River is pretty cool.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

Yeah some cool history aspects to it and then rock formations too.

Still kind of amazes me how low population Northern California is compared to Southern California. Some of those counties don't have that many more people than they did in the 1870's.

Ours may have less than in the past. And it's shrinking every census as far as I know.

But it would take me over 5 hours to get to the coast if I was speeding and didn't stop to pee or for coffee.

But, if ironbender is heading North by a different route and had time, Lava Beds, Mt Lassen, and Crater Lake would make nice detours.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Driving straight through from Fortuna to Olympia/Lacey was about 10 hours with about half that on I5.

We did drive 101 North going through Oregon one time and it is pretty twisty but scenic. Ocean views mostly.

Some of the state parks around Crescent City and further South have some really nice scenery, stuff like giant redwood groves and trails to hike.

Road closures or delays due to rock slides are fairly common when there has been lots of rain.

I don't know how many times I made that drive going the opposite way on a friday after formation. Best time was 8 hours by myself. Took about 12 with the wife, and 2 days with 2 little ones.
Eureka doesn't have much in the way of tourist attractions as far as I know.

Maybe Fort Humboldt if you're intersted in Civil War era history.

I'm not sure if the Samoa Cookhouse is still operating. It used to be the main chow hall for all the loggers back in the day. It used to have a bunch of old logging memorabilia on the walls.

I loved going to the cookhouse as a kid. I ate there for the last time before going to Korea, was the last time I saw him alive.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Driving straight through from Fortuna to Olympia/Lacey was about 10 hours with about half that on I5.

We did drive 101 North going through Oregon one time and it is pretty twisty but scenic. Ocean views mostly.

Some of the state parks around Crescent City and further South have some really nice scenery, stuff like giant redwood groves and trails to hike.

Road closures or delays due to rock slides are fairly common when there has been lots of rain.

I don't know how many times I made that drive going the opposite way on a friday after formation. Best time was 8 hours by myself. Took about 12 with the wife, and 2 days with 2 little ones.
Eureka doesn't have much in the way of tourist attractions as far as I know.

Maybe Fort Humboldt if you're intersted in Civil War era history.

I'm not sure if the Samoa Cookhouse is still operating. It used to be the main chow hall for all the loggers back in the day. It used to have a bunch of old logging memorabilia on the walls.

I loved going to the cookhouse as a kid. I ate there for the last time before going to Korea, was the last time I saw him alive.

I made the drive a few times myself. I was stationed at Lewis from 03-06.

I remember eating at the cookhouse, but that must of been 30-40 years ago.

Last edited by dodgefan; 02/26/19.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Iron Bender, Me and a couple of buddies road our Triumphs down the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) a few years ago from Port Angeles to San Diego. Took a little over two weeks of riding and camping and it was an absolute blast. This was before the California landslides however but I think they have that cleared up now but even still having to take side trips is great. You can see so much more on a bike than in a car. Washington/Oregon coastline is some beautiful rugged scenery that you gotta see. The California Coast gives you some great twisting rides also. I'd love to do it again, I'm just glad I'm able to be able to say I did it. And have pictured and T shirts to prove it! Just do it Iron.

Which Triumph do you have?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jet boat up the rogue river is worth the time, but will cost you most of a day.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
101 in Washington and Oregon are both excellent drives, all the way down to Eureka CA. That would burn up a week easy.
South of there, like maybe Scotia, you have CA 1 to San Francisco. In a good car, at least two days, maybe three. South of San Fransicko, it's all right on 1 (not 101, which is now a freeway) but much more open. Monterey and Big Sur are impressive, but I turned around at Big Sur and have never been back.
The experience in WA and OR is different than in northern CA, the climate zone changes at Brookings because of the California ocean current.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may know this, but 101 in WA makes most of a loop. It starts just outside of Olympia and runs North along Hood canal to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, then west almost to the ocean, then south to Oregon.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My perspective is horribly out of date. Did the coastal highway on a pedal bike in 1982 from Olympia Washington to Anaheim. It is a gorgeous trip. I would like to take my wife on driving tour.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
For a week, not having done this before, please suggest a segment best for 5-7 days in case I don't do it again.

With stops to enjoy local sights and attractions.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
For a week, not having done this before, please suggest a segment best for 5-7 days in case I don't do it again.

Mike, avoid going any further South than Crescent City CA or thereabouts. The charm fades in a hurry.
We have never been further North than Northern OR on the coast. In between those is a whole bunch of great scenery and sights.
Visit some smaller redwood groves, take a jet boat ride up the Rogue River. We did the 104 mile round trip ride and it took up most of a day, but you'll see some great scenery.
If I have any time I can see if I can think of more.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by ironbender

Mike, avoid going any further South than Crescent City CA or thereabouts. The charm fades in a hurry.
We have never been further North than Northern OR on the coast. In between those is a whole bunch of great scenery and sights.
Visit some smaller redwood groves, take a jet boat ride up the Rogue River. We did the 104 mile round trip ride and it took up most of a day, but you'll see some great scenery.
If I have any time I can see if I can think of more.

I haven't been down the California part but what he's suggesting is basically stay in Oregon. Hard to argue that. It would be very easy to spend a week on the Oregon coast.

LOL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 13 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.