Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, I love beans and rice. I have a pretty simple recipe that I use.

Been thinking about cooking up a batch this week. Have decided that I'd like to try a new recipe.

SO... post your family secret recipe. Tell me why it is the best ever.

Thanks, Owl.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not an old family secret but here's the one I like.

I use red beans instead of kidney but other than that I see no need to change anything.

It may not be hot enough for some depending on the Andouille but you can always add a little hot sauce.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58211/authentic-louisiana-red-beans-and-rice/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please don't get out the pitchforks.

I bought a box mix at Sav-a-lot, just thought of a simple quick side.

Ticked me off how good it was, considering the time it take to
make them properly.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
tag

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Could we get back to briskets? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

My wife took this one from Willy Robertson's book and it has been good when she made it.

1 pound dry kidney Pinto beans
1/3 cup olive oil
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
6 cups water
a couple of slices of bacon, cut up
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (less if you are feeding kids)
2 bay leaves (if you don’t have it in your cabinet don’t worry about it)
a pinch of brown sugar
1 teaspoon Phil Robertson’s Cajun Style Seasoning
1 tablespoon parsley flakes (again, don’t sweat it if you don’t have it)
1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced (Add more if you like sausage, or a different kind if this is too spicy.)
Ham bone with as much ham left on it as you want (I buy one that is honey glazed, take the ham off for sandwiches, then use what’s left for beans)
4 cups water
2 cups long grain white rice
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Directions:

Rinse beans and transfer to a large pot with ham bone six cups of water. Make sure the water is covers all the beans.
In a skillet, heat olive oil and cut up bacon over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper, and celery for three to four minutes.
Stir cooked vegetables into beans.
Season with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, parsley, and Cajun Style Seasoning.
Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 6 hours, or until beans are soft and done. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Cut sausage into slices and brown in skillet on medium heat with a teaspoon of olive oil.
Stir sausage into beans towards the end of cooking time and continue to simmer for thirty minutes.
Add a pinch of brown sugar to taste.
In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for twenty minutes. Serve beans over steamed white rice and add plenty of Louisiana Hot Sauce.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My wife makes the best but in a pinch ya can’t beat Popeyes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys.

Bought a few smoked ham hocks today, and some fresh pink kidney beans. Think I'm going to try a slow cooker method. I work on Saturdays. I start at 4am.
Thinking that if I soak the beans Friday night, and cut up all of the ingredients and stick them in zip lock bags, then all I will need to do on Saturday morning is to
dump them into the slow cooker on load, and by lunch time they will be ready. Think that I'll take some hot links, Polish or Andouille and add it to the pot about
an hour before I'm ready to eat. Maybe garnish with some chopped green onions and a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce. Have red beans and rice at work, HA !

Ingredients

1 pound dried red kidney beans rinsed
1 ham Hock
1 lb pound smoked sausage thinly sliced (andouille or smoked)
3 celery ribs chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon chili powder
7 cups water
4 cups uncooked long grain rice
green onions chopped, for garnish
fresh parsley chopped, for garnish

Instructions

Add red kidney beans, smoked sausage, celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, chili powder, and water to a 6-quart slow cooker. Set on high setting and cook for 6 hours.
Cook rice according to package directions.

Serve red beans over top of the cooked rice. Top with fresh green onions and parsley

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264
My wife makes the best but in a pinch ya can’t beat Popeyes.

+1

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I have found the small dry "Red Chili Beans" work best for me

Last edited by LouisB; 02/28/19.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use dry small red beans soaked overnight. Sliced Andouille rendered a bit then toss in 1 diced sweet onion, 1 cup diced celery and 1 large diced green bell pepper. Cook that down a bit until the trinity is soft. Toss in the beans and stir to mix and cover the beans in the mixture. After about three minutes I deglaze the pot with chicken stock or water. I then cover in chicken stock or water one inch over the beans. I add whatever cajun seasoning Im using that week and two bay leaves. Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer. I let it simmer until the beans are creamy and soft. Sometimes I hit it for a few seconds with my emersion blender or just take a cup of the beans and smash them to help thicken up the beans. Sometimes I eat them over rice as a meal and sometimes I eat them as a side without rice like any other beans. If I have leftovers sometimes I add chicken stock and hit it with the emersion blender and create a soup. You can eat the soup with some corn bread or crusty french bread. Im off bread right now.
If you cant find good andouille sausage smoke polish or keiobasa sausage or smoked pork sausage can be substituted. I will sometimes use smoked ham hocks and chopped up smoked ham along with the sausage if I have them. Sorry I dont measure out things much so my recipes lack exact measurements. It in the end the beans need a little more kick I serve with tabasco or whatever hot sauce is around so people can season them to their own taste or lack of. To me variety is important so I use different things in my stews and beans. I like red beans about ten different ways.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Red Beans and Rice is a Monday staple here in New Orleans. It is a basic meal that many not from here try to over load. This is a long time N.O. family recipe
1LB of Camilia Red kidney beans
1/4 cup of bacon grease
1lb Pickle Pork
1 med onion sliced in half
salt and pepper to taste
wash beans and soak for one hour.
Bring beans to hard boil for 20 minutes
Turn down fire to where they are just turning over and cook for two hours. Add water and still occasionally as needed.
Garnish with Louisiana hot sauce when served.
Fried pork chops or fried catfish
go well with this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RNF

My wife took this one from Willy Robertson's book and it has been good when she made it.

1/3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
6 cups water
a pinch of brown sugar
1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced (Add more if you like sausage, or a different kind if this is too spicy.)
Ham bone with as much ham left on it as you want (I buy one that is honey glazed, take the ham off for sandwiches, then use what’s left for beans)
4 cups water
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Directions:

Rinse beans and transfer to a large pot with ham bone six cups of water. Make sure the water is covers all the beans.
In a skillet, heat olive oil and cut up bacon over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper, and celery for three to four minutes.
Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 6 hours, or until beans are soft and done. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Cut sausage into slices and brown in skillet on medium heat with a teaspoon of olive oil.
Stir sausage into beans towards the end of cooking time and continue to simmer for thirty minutes.
In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for twenty minutes. Serve beans over steamed white rice and add plenty of Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Originally Posted by RNF

1/3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
6 cups water
a pinch of brown sugar
4 cups water
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Directions:

Well that's for dinner tonight, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds great... We will have to try it...

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wasn't real impressed! And leftovers for lunch, if was better then. For the time spent, I'd rather have Zaterands!

Denny

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Roystu
Red Beans and Rice is a Monday staple here in New Orleans. It is a basic meal that many not from here try to over load. This is a long time N.O. family recipe
1LB of Camilia Red kidney beans
1/4 cup of bacon grease
1lb Pickle Pork
1 med onion sliced in half
salt and pepper to taste
wash beans and soak for one hour.
Bring beans to hard boil for 20 minutes
Turn down fire to where they are just turning over and cook for two hours. Add water and still occasionally as needed.
Garnish with Louisiana hot sauce when served.
Fried pork chops or fried catfish
go well with this.

Used to be a real good recipe right on the bag of Camilia red beans.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I have found the "Small Red Chili Beans" to work really well.
Starting from "dry beans" of course

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Owl
So, I love beans and rice. I have a pretty simple recipe that I use.

Been thinking about cooking up a batch this week. Have decided that I'd like to try a new recipe.

SO... post your family secret recipe. Tell me why it is the best ever.

Thanks, Owl.
Years ago the wife and I were in a crafts type store in Joplin, Missouri and I was staring around all slack-jawed, bored out of my skull. My eyes fixed on some t-shirt and it had this recipe on it. Not quite. I modified the recipe and came up with this one and we've ate it for years.

Couple of pounds of sausage. I like Owens the best, but it's not always available. RB Rice is about as good.

Two cans of Red Beans. Substitute Pintos for one or both, just as good. Walmart's Great Value are okay but Bush's are the best.

Goodly bit of chili powder. Couple of shakes of Red Pepper or Cayenne. Few shakes of garlic. Minced onion. Add all this in as you're browning the sausage. Drain the grease off. Add in the beans. Make up about two cups or so of Rice (as measured after it's cooked.) I like Uncle Ben's Brown Rice the best. Add in the rice. Let all this simmer for awhile and then turn off the burner and let it stand. It just gets better as it stands, just don't let the bottom stuff burn whilst simmering or standing.

This can be made on an electric or gas stove. It is best though, cooked outside over an open flame in a dutch oven or high sided iron skillet. You can add ketchup to taste if you like it sweeter and/or Tabasco if you like it hotter/spicier.

This recipe can be a Depression Era cheapie if you are low on cash or a bit higher dollar with the better grade of ingredients. Either way it is not expensive.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Tag

u r always tagging everything...LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 65 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,486
Posts18,508,963
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.