Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
also had the rear end apart twice to replace bearings. why would anyone design a differential with c clips.

I had a beautiful Z71. Cherry! After I replaced the heads, front differential, transfer case, and several other lesser problems, I finally sold it. Like the dumbazz I am, I let my younger son talk me into buying him another Z71. So far, all I've done is work on it too.

We also have a Ford, Honda, and 2 Toyotas. All we do is put gas in them and drive.

There isn't enough bandwidth to describe all the problems I ad with the last two Dodges I've owned. I used to be a big Mopar fan.

I know other have had differing experiences, but you only let a snake bite you so many times before you part ways with him.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/27/19.
GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Honestly, my automobile problems became way less frequent once I decided to stop buying Chrysler problems; and to a lesser degree, Chevrolets.

If you look up dodge in the dictionary its says.....to avoid or evade laugh

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had very similar issues with my '01 Ram.
Dodge has a known problem, at least from the late '90s to the early 2000's with the PCM (computer). From your description it sounds exactly like what my Ram was doing.
At 161,000 miles failed late last summer. The engine would turn over fine, but (usually) would not even try to start. Sometimes it would run for a second or two, sometimes it would run until it got up to temp then die. The gauges became inoperative. I finally broke down and took it to the local Dodge dealer to have them fix it. Two hundred dollars later they told me they couldn't find a definite cause, but it may be the PCM module. They wanted $700 to replace it with a reman unit (new units no longer available) and another $125 to flash the unit with the latest firmware. They also stated that it was a 2 hour job the replace the computer--pure BS. It takes less than ten minutes from start to finish.
I did an internet search and found several companies that sell remanufactured units that come flashed with the latest firmware for under $300 with a lifetime guarantee. I went with a unit from SOLO Auto Electronics.
The first unit failed on start up. SOLO replaced it with another unit. It ran fine for about 10 minutes then it, too, failed. SOLO replaced it immediately. Third unit failed with in about 50 miles of driving. SOLO also replaced this one immediately. The fourth unit lasted for 238 miles. I just put the fifth unit in last week--so far it's working.
My daughter has an '05 Dodge that had the same symptoms that also turned out to be a PCM failure. So far, after about 12,000 miles, hers seem to be running fine with the first unit she got from SOLO.
My guess is that's probably the cause with your neighbors Ram, the symptoms sound identical.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm thinking fuel pump at this point but it's less than a year old and quit all at once.

Aftermarket fuel pump out of China?

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pat85
I'm thinking fuel pump at this point but it's less than a year old and quit all at once.

Aftermarket fuel pump out of China?

I'm not sure, probably.

I doubt I'll get over there today.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To be a bit more specific, you should:

Make sure all 6 (3.9L V6) or all 8 cylinders are getting spark with a spark tester.
If spark was present in all of the cylinders, then this result tells you several very important things:
The distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plug wires are OK.
The ignition coil is OK and functioning correctly.
The crankshaft (crank) position sensor is functioning correctly.
The Auto Shut Down (ASD) relay, which powers the ignition coil, is good.

NOTE: One of the most common failures on these Dodge vehicles is a bad crank sensor causing a no start condition. Since the crank sensor is at the heart of everything that is involved with starting the vehicle. When the crank sensor has failed you'll see the following specific symptoms:

The PCM will not activate the fuel injectors.
The PCM will not activate the ASD (Auto Shut Down relay).
If the ASD relay does not activate, the ignition coil will not get power.
If the ASD relay does not activate, the fuel pump relay will not activate.

More here if you care to puruse. Code scan would also help isolate.
https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chrysler/3.9L-5.2L-5.9L/how-to-test-a-no-start-2

Last edited by Swifty52; 02/27/19.

Swifty
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Did anyone check it for codes? I had a 93 Dakota that stopped dead in its tracks when an O2 sensor failed. It tripped an auto shutdown relay and would crank but not fire. I also had a Plymouth Breeze that had the fuel pump go bad. That repair would have cost more than the car was worth. It was 20 years old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 2001 5.9 did the same thing, it was the pump. I figured it out by cranking it and pouring a small amount of gas down the fuel injector. It gave a very brief attempt at starting (just a sputter). So I knew that the electronics were functioning. There is a fuel pump relay that can prevent currant from getting to the plugs that can also cause that problem.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Prwlr
My 2001 5.9 did the same thing, it was the pump. I figured it out by cranking it and pouring a small amount of gas down the fuel injector. It gave a very brief attempt at starting (just a sputter). So I knew that the electronics were functioning. There is a fuel pump relay that can prevent currant from getting to the plugs that can also cause that problem.

You can accomplish the same thing with a lot less hassle by squirting some starter fluid directly into the air intake. If it starts, then look to the pump as the issue.
Crank and/or cam sensors may also be the cause.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tried the ether thing yesterday and it didn't fire.

Actually the easiest way to test for injector bleed down, poor pump performance is to put a pressure gauge on the test port at the inlet of the fuel rail, usually a Schrader valve. Hook it up, turn on the ignition and it should pump up and usually hold 75 psi on throttle body and 90-95 on injectors.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My neighbor has a 1998 Ram 1500 with a 5.2 motor. I was helping him troubleshoot it yesterday and thought I'd ask here.

It turns over fine but doesn't start. The gas gauge quit working at the time the problem arose. It's got a full tank but the gauge doesn't register at all. Just wondering if it could be a blown fuse, a bad fuel pump, relay etc. I think there's a connection between the gauge stopping working and it not starting. I'm no mechanic that's for sure so I thought I'd ask here.

It worked fine when he parked it, the next day it didn't fire at all. Turns over great.

My guess would be bad ignition switch. I have seen other trucks crank, but no power to the dash, turned out to be the ignition.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would get it running and unload it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by whit
Did anyone check it for codes? I had a 93 Dakota that stopped dead in its tracks when an O2 sensor failed. It tripped an auto shutdown relay and would crank but not fire. I also had a Plymouth Breeze that had the fuel pump go bad. That repair would have cost more than the car was worth. It was 20 years old.

So would a tank of gas.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 24 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,048
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.