Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Remington thunderbolt 500 rnds at $14.58 ea.
Bucket of bullets by remington 1400 rnds at $62.00
Do the math

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What math ? 2.9 cents a round for Thunderbolt blasting ammo and 4.4 a round for Golden bullets? I don't see a roll back as much as I think the supply and demand have leveled out and prices have returned to normal. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or skip that and get the Fed 550 Bulk Pack 36gr HP's for $19.95.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Y'all go ahead. Crap ammo is no bargain IMO. I'm not a "blaster" nor do I encourage blasting by new shooters. Careful shopping will yield CCI SV and other good ammo for just a little more money. Never had a FTF with that, or Aguila that I can recall, just to name two. Breech-clearing drills are better handle with dummy rounds, I think.

The crunch is over. Prepare for the next one by stocking up with good ammo and cut the scalpers and scrounges off at the pass.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some people in the past have had issues with RP Thunderbolts but just because they have had a bad lot or two out of thousands of lots doesn't mean they are all bad. More Remington Thunderbolts have taught kids and allowed others to shoot more inexpensively than all the CCI's ever produced. You can go to the bank on that. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're also great at teaching kids to use a bore brush in their .22. Ditto for Cyclones, Subsonics, and even the blue box target over the past 20-25 years.
Spend a few bucks extra for CCI or Federal or Winchester, all of whom make good cheap ammo. Unless you're just happy with the Thunderbolt lead recycling program (shoot, scrub bore till bullet shavings fall out, melt shavings back into new bullets).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Some people in the past have had issues with RP Thunderbolts but just because they have had a bad lot or two out of thousands of lots doesn't mean they are all bad. More Remington Thunderbolts have taught kids and allowed others to shoot more inexpensively than all the CCI's ever produced. You can go to the bank on that. MB

Maybe so, but I've never had any issues whatsoever with any lot of CCI ammo. Consistency and reliability, along with good accuracy with most versions keeps me buying them. Even if the the Thunderbolts on average are better than the ones everyone bitches about, why take a chance on getting a bad lot. Kinda waters down the price edge if a fair percentage is less than reliable.

As a kid, I bought WW Super X at the little store near my grandmother's place in PA. Later on when I could drive, I started using Golden Bullets in my 581. After Stingers came out, I tried them and they worked well in my rifle, which led me to try Mini-Mags for regular use.I also tried Yellow Jackets, but found them less than accurate than Stingers in my gun, and less effective killers. CCI became my goto ammo from then on. I also use some high-end SSHPs and have tried Wolf and Aguila Match and some others. I picked up some Fed and WW bulk during the first panic and the WW is pretty good, but the maroon box Fed has more FTFs than anything I've ever used. Most of the box of Thunder-duds I bought to test my first CZ with are sitting in my reject pile for disposal in handguns.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a few Win. and Fed. bulk packs here that ain't worth a shyt. Bang, poof, pow, click, bang, click. Hell the bullets are so loose in a couple of the Win. 555 bulk packs you can pluck them out of the cases with your fingers and they even come with a few loose bullets and cases rolling around seperately in the bottom of the box. Got some shytty Win. super x and power points hangin around here too. Lots of duds and not very accurate compared to the super-x and power points of old. No Remington rimfire has been worth a shyt in the last 30 years.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cheap ammo has its place. Especially in revolvers and bolt action rifles for young shooters who just love hearing it go bang. And the misfires, while frustrating, can be a good teacher not to flinch.
That being said, 95% of the time my guns only see CCI or Wolf target with the exception of a SP101 8 shot revolver we keep handy for critter shooting/scaring off the back porch. I'll admit I don't plan on buying anymore of the cheap stuff though. Most of what I have remaining was purchased prior to the last shortage.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some of the Winnys I have are in the white box, others in the silver. Not the best shooting in any of my guns, but okay. Gave some to my sons so they'd have at least something on hand. Now a box usually rides in my ammo bag when I go to the range in case I want to rip off a few rounds from the little Smith I carry daily or my Victory. For that, they work about as well as anything.

Speaking of Winchester, I had high hopes for those 1435fps loads they sell, but have had a bunch of duds out of the few boxes I bought and not in just one gun. The Browning version seems pretty popular, so maybe I got a bad bunch.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
They're also great at teaching kids to use a bore brush in their .22. Ditto for Cyclones, Subsonics, and even the blue box target over the past 20-25 years.
Spend a few bucks extra for CCI or Federal or Winchester, all of whom make good cheap ammo. Unless you're just happy with the Thunderbolt lead recycling program (shoot, scrub bore till bullet shavings fall out, melt shavings back into new bullets) smile.

That's it in a nutshell. All cheap ammo isn't the same. CCI Blazer for me, even if it isn't the rock bottom of .22 price. If I can get it for about 4-5 cents per round, I'm OK with it. Federal Automatch is OK too, but I'm not convinced that it's as good as it was in the pre-shortage days. Ammo production quality does vary over time, probably due to market pressures and the bean counters. I remember when a group of long range .22 shooters (200 meters) had good results with certain lots of Federal Lightning. I did some careful accuracy with later lots. Not only was it not accurate for more than plinking, but there was considerable variation among lots.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What math ? 2.9 cents a round for Thunderbolt blasting ammo and 4.4 a round for Golden bullets? I don't see a roll back as much as I think the supply and demand have leveled out and prices have returned to normal. MB

Bob, why even buy that crap when you can get CCI SV's for $.03-04/rd and MiniMags for $.04-05/rd. I see those deals all the time. In fact, I got more than 1 email yesterday with same.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst ammo I ever tried to shoot was Fad bulk pac.
Thought it was my gun, until I went with a friend who had some of the same.
No idea where they went, but I gave up trying to shoot them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a cabinet full of cheap stuff. I always reach for the CCI Std Vel or SK. Std Vel is about as consistent as it gets for really affordable stuff. The SK shines in my tiny group gun. To me more fun than blasting.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by papat
I have a cabinet full of cheap stuff. I always reach for the CCI Std Vel or SK. Std Vel is about as consistent as it gets for really affordable stuff. The SK shines in my tiny group gun. To me more fun than blasting.

Thats about whwre I have been for years, although I will add CCI Blazer and Fed Auto Match to the list of "cheap and consistent " depending on the gun.

In teems of ccuracy ,most everything else under $5 per 50 tounds is plinking ammo.

Last edited by jk16; 03/04/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington .22 ammo is the worst stuff I have ever used. No thanks. I'm sure the discerning shoppers at Wally World will get their moneys worth.
+1 for the Fed Auto Match and CCI.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have used lots of Rem ammo.. The worst I ever had was ww333!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for bulk i like the fed 550 packs. have about 15k of cci sv and a few bricks of sk standard for the suppressed and target guns

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lest we forget, accuracy can be pretty variable in .22s, so I won't condemn anything on that basis alone, unless there are a bunch of crazy flyers. But not going bang when asked is a pretty big deal and somewhat of a safety issue, though I've never had a hangfire in one of mine. FTF sucks and spoils one's concentration to boot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Or skip that and get the Fed 550 Bulk Pack 36gr HP's for $19.95"

This. ^^^^

Never.thought I"d see them again after such a long absence at Walmart, but they did come back. Been shooting these things for many years. One of the most consistently useful "plinking" ammo choices I've ever found. Works well in almost every 22 I own, very well in a few of them..

Only thing more amazing that seeing them back at Walmart again, was seeing the price was that low.

For the record, I also have Wolf Match Target, WW Wildcats, TAC 22, WW Dynapoints (old stock), CCI SV and oodles of Auto Match. Still have several boxes of the Fed. 36gr bulk, from when Walmart used to have it. Gave lots of that away to youth shooting programs, back when 22 ammo was hard to find.

Some rifles prefer one or more of those, some don't. As most know, nature of the beast. Years ago I swapped something I had that someone else wanted, for a brick of Fed. 40gr. None of my rifles liked that Fed. 40gr. Think I gave that away, too?

Many years ago the old white box bulk Dynapoints that only Kmart sold, was pretty decent ammo. Would estimate that I fired multiple thousands of rounds of that stuff decades ago. When they reintroduced it in multi-colored boxes, picked one up. Doesn't shoot worth diddly in anything I have. Now I hear Auto Match isn't what it once was, but all of mine is the "old stuff" from several years ago, still works fine in a few rifles.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,968
Posts18,499,277
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.