Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
increased recoil of the 40, increased capacity of the 9, and advances in 9MM ammo all played into the switch IIRC

This ^^^

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
This has been going on for some time. I can't prove it, but law enforcement seems to follow the FBI (except for the Texas Rangers, and likely some other elite organizations.). I believe FBI is going back to 9mm.

Last March, I did a quick and dirty survey of handgun ammo prices. In equal quality ammo (brass case, boxer primed "range ammo"), 9mm was 18.5c are round, .40 was 23.9c a round. Even .380 was more expensive than .40. Production volume is a big driver. If you want cheap .40, it might be a good idea to stock up now. As it falls from favor, production will drop, and prices will rise.

Two thoughts.
Texas Rangers carry "bbq rigs" for show.

(Smart)LE agencies follow FBI ammo recommendations because it's one less thing they have to defend in court ever time they shoot somebody.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I broke (cracked frames) three of those when I shot a lot. LOL.

I love those big ol' Berettas.

I have a 92F that I carried, it is a great pistol. The Beretta Cougar that I had in .357 Sig went down the road, the cougars had a few issues.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
LT,

Is that a constant or do they just do that for PR events?

I think I've only been around one and he was wearing some stupid ass 1911 in a Yaqui or similar.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BIGR

I have a 92F that I carried, it is a great pistol. The Beretta Cougar that I had in .357 Sig went down the road, the cougars had a few issues.

We had the Brigadiers. DAO. Awesome gun.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Remsen
I've picked up a couple LEO trade in .40s in the past two months at prices I couldn't say no to. From what I'm seeing, there is definitely a glut of these handguns nowadays. .40s may not be cost effective for a police department but they sure work fine for my needs. A Gen 4 Glock 22 with very little use under $300 is a deal in my book.

Source?

Second that. Where can I find such a deal?

I just passed on a Glock 22 Police trade in for $300 cash. Only because it was of course a .40.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl
I can't say personally as I haven't logged rounds on a Glock frame but armorers that have say 10K is when most .40's start to fail.

But this is pretty consistent with all .40's. Regardless of make.

The 155gr. stuff that was all the rage for some time accelerated this.

Thanks, that's not a good service life.

if you are lucky, you can get 40S&W for $250/case

if you shoot up $2500 worth of 40S&W, treat yourself to a second $300 pistol. WTH, you only live once.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by night_owl
I can't say personally as I haven't logged rounds on a Glock frame but armorers that have say 10K is when most .40's start to fail.

But this is pretty consistent with all .40's. Regardless of make.

The 155gr. stuff that was all the rage for some time accelerated this.

Thanks, that's not a good service life.

Yeah.

They die fast. No free lunch and all that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LT,

Is that a constant or do they just do that for PR events?

I think I've only been around one and he was wearing some stupid ass 1911 in a Yaqui or similar.

It's for show. Why else would anyone carry a 1911 in the 21st century?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

We had the Brigadiers. DAO. Awesome gun.

Good deal, we went from the Cougar .357 Sig to the Sig P229 DAK, .357 sig. After that to the S&W M&P .357 Sig, some issues with it, then onto the Sig P226 in .357 Sig, yelp now were getting somewhere, my favorite of all time.

NEVER GIVE UP
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, a frame that only lasted 10k rounds wouldn't be a deal killer for me either.

Last edited by night_owl; 03/01/19.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by z1r
I've picked up a couple LEO trade in .40s in the past two months at prices I couldn't say no to. From what I'm seeing, there is definitely a glut of these handguns nowadays. .40s may not be cost effective for a police department but they sure work fine for my needs. A Gen 4 Glock 22 with very little use under $300 is a deal in my book.

Source?

I just passed on a Glock 22 Police trade in for $300 cash. Only because it was of course a .40.

At that price, you could pick up a Storm Lake .357 Sig barrel and be king of the block.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by z1r

Source?

At that price, you could pick up a Storm Lake .357 Sig barrel and be king of the block.

Or if he want's 9mm, a 9mm conversion barrel.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Good deal, we went from the Cougar .357 Sig to the Sig P229 DAK, .357 sig. After that to the S&W M&P .357 Sig, some issues with it, then onto the Sig P226 in .357 Sig, yelp now were getting somewhere, my favorite of all time.

If I was elected Supreme Ruler of all the Earth the only three guns that would be purchased by any military or LE entity would be the Glock 17, Ruger LCR's, and AR's.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I'm going to go duck and run...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a 19, but in defense of the .40....I can't remember any of our bad guys showing up at their wrongful death lawsuit's.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TFF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If I was elected Supreme Ruler of all the Earth the only three guns that would be purchased by any military or LE entity would be the Glock 17, Ruger LCR's, and AR's.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I'm going to go duck and run...

Not a problem at all with that, the Glock 17 would be fine, I would carry it with confidence. Somewhere in the safe I have a never fired Glock 31, that I picked up years ago at a great price. I carried a Glock 26 for backup and it is often carried now as my EDC gun. So I own two Glocks and several Sigs, not saying one is better than the other, I believe that's two top contenders right there.

The AR's are much needed and a good scattergun would not be bad at all to have for duty and home defense.

NEVER GIVE UP
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Our local city PD adopted Smith 5906's in 9mm in 1994. The county PD and Sheriff;s dept. adopted G22's in 40 S&W the same year. The GSP had 4506's in 45 at the time then went to 40, then 45 GAP and now G17's in 9mm. Fish and game had Smith 686's in 357 mag and went to G22's in 40 at about the same time.

Since 1994 we've had 12 LE shootings between all of those agencies. There were 5 with 40 S&W, 6 with 9mm and one where officers were present from multiple agencies when a bad girl shoot at an officer. 4 different officers fired 3 shot each. She was hit with 6 rounds of 40, 6 rounds of 9mm. The other 11 shootings involved a double tap and the bad guy was dead when he hit the ground. No missed shots, no survivors.

Our county and Sheriff's dept are going to 9mm, probably in 2020. They have researched shootings from agencies all across the country and can find no evidence that 40, nor 45 is any better than 9mm. Forget about energy numbers, gel tests and all those other things. The only thing that matters is results. If you use good ammo in any of them and place your shots the end result is exactly the same. And cheaper, lower recoiling ammo and more of it never hurts.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FBI report aside...

Guns chambered in the .40 die quicker than those chambered in the 9mm. And I'm talking about frames. Not parts.

Took a few years for that to become apparent to a lot of departments.

The man speaks the truth. Talk to any armorer in any large department and they’ll tell you the same...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Truthfully, I like them all.
If I need one, I hope the one I have works.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 17,936 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,891
Posts18,538,544
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.