Hop To
Page 1,743 of 1,842 1 2 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats TJay!

I want no part of shoveling pickups off the ice anymore. That is a young man's game.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1 year old pup !

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We have one of those too. 10 months old. Eats everydamnthing she can find.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a black lab that got ahold of a spade shovel with a hickory handle. Chewed entirely through the handle. I swear that dog thought it was a danged beaver. He used to go out in the woods beside my folk's house and find the longest stick he could come up with and drag it around the yard. The sticks would be three times longer than him.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Not sure where to start. A nasty virus seems to be kicking my ass and keeping me almost bedridden the last month or so. I have been spending a lot of time searching the gun/hunting etc. everything...

Then I found Northern Dave's original post about building a deer camp. The more I read the more I couldn't stop reading. I spent all afternoon and most of the evening reading this stuff. It was like looking into a mirror and I wanted to reply to SO many posts. They were of course very old and there was little point but then I skipped ahead to the most recent post and realized this is still alive! Wow. So here I am.

Dave & the rest of you clearly like to hunt, fish & shoot a lot.So do I.I have a similar size "camp" in Ontario that is more fishing/relaxing than hunting but I have successfully bear hunted there a couple of times. It is for me the only place I would rather go to get away. Rustic, no electric, no cell service and remote. But it is also comfortable year round with an excellent wood stove when needed (like recently if I were there).A gravity feed water system and hand driven well. I have had the unique pleasure to see a handfull of young people come to love the experience(s) of being there, some are grown men now and still ask when the next trip is. We have spent hours around a fire, sometimes toasting a friend or family member that has left us. We regularly toast the previous camp owner because we know how much the place meant to him, he died there & there is no apprehension of what he would think of us being in his special place because we take care of it and love it as he did.

I have a '72 Chevelle that I purchased 35+ years ago and I know what Dave is talking about when he said he hunted with a particular gun just because he felt he needed to take a deer with it. There is always a Camp project in the works for "next summer". The old Servell propane refrigerator still works but unless the temps are around 80 it starts to freeze everything after a day or two, except beer. But even that is sometimes pretty close. Nothing better than cleaning fish with one of the boys delivering a frosty bottle if "Blue" to you. Problem is some of those boys don't drink pop anymore!

I am fortunate enough to live in an old farm house with just enough property to hunt right out my back door taking a few nice bucks over the years. I also see pics of someone hunting with the Remington 760/7600. My favorite deer rifle since the late 70's, but not the only one I use. Always thinking about hunting, even when I'm fishing.

I have gone on long enough, do way more reading than I ever do posting but hope to read much more here and would really like to see more pics of Northern Dave's camp as it's progressed over the years. (still a lot of posts to read since yesterday).

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Welcome Jim! Whereabouts in Ontario do you hang your hat? We go up to Lac Seul every year (year number 34 I think this year).

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Jim! Sorry to hear you’re tied up with a virus. Glad you found the site.
I’m one of the guys on here that likes to use a 7600. Skane is probably the other guy.

Have fun reading. I read it all every year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome aboard Jim. Thanks for letting us in on your little corner of the world. Get over your bout of the crud soon sir. You're in good company with your 760. Lots of them in the woods around here. They are very popular out east in Pennsylvania where semi-automic rifles aren't used.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There is a nice little gun shop near my current office that seems to have a few 760's and a 1/2 way decent 7600 on hand. They sell new ones too, which I like a fair bit.Just not as much character in the new ones.

Jeff you'd probably like it in there. They have a lot of military rifles in there and old mausers.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Camp is up near Chapleau, north east of Sault Ontario. Will see if I can remember how to post pics. It's been a while. Am already antsy about getting back up there. Gotta have a ton of snow there right now. Not familiar with Lac Seul but I have nothing but time right now so I will look for it. Have been going there about 20+ years. This will be 19 at the cabin I guess.

The Rem. 760 is a popular deer rifle for most of Mi & Pa from what I have read. Not everyone likes it. Mine had a pretty rough trigger but I found someone to smooth it out and that made a lot of difference. The 760 has been left out a little lately as I have found myself collecting the old classic deer rifles. I am not into the real expensive stuff, just the shooter's that you would find in any typical deer camp. Would like to find a decent used one in .35 Rem. As I have read here from someone else, working PT at a gun shop causes one to quickly need another gun safe. Sure missing that place.

I am on page 1301 now and still a few years behind. How I wish I had found this when it first started. What a great bunch of people here. I hope all of you go back occasionally and read some of this. Can't wait for the next (2015 I think) deer season reports to show up.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
[img][/img][/url]Ontario in winter [[img][/img][/url]Ontario in winter[/img]/img]

photo test

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would have to agree Jim .. some very good lads here and that Nordern Davey, he’s one of a kind.

Don’t post a great deal on any forums but lots of interesting info and stories to peruse.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Well it appears you can open the link but not what I was hoping for. Any suggestions?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Yes, two ears and one mouth. I tend to be pretty quiet most of the time.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Welcome Jim. It's cool that people can still stumble across this mess and find it entertaining.

the latest camp photos from Joey's birthday weekend.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

Cool place Jim

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
like super awesome cool, I love it!

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff Dave.

Polaris fest @ Chickenbuck.

Looking at BBQ, I note, no ribs were harmed in the making of this event !

Say HB to long tall Joe !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, welcome !

& I did attempt to do what, master of everything, ND did with your photo, but it was seeing flikr as an expletive, for some reason.

I seem to remember somebody else having the same issue.

Camp looks great.

Paul.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Dave, glad to meet you. I am still not done reading all of this but I really do not want to overlook any of it.

Thanks for the current pics. Is that the sauna behind the white truck? I have one also (great in the winter) but you cannot see it in the pic. Thank you by the way for posting them.
If you can fill me in on what I am doing wrong I will bore everyone here with all the pics I would have been posting had I been along when this first started.

Sorry for stealing your name, wasn't real creative of me, just that the family always asked how things were in the "great white north" or "up north" when I first moved here a long time ago.

Thanks for the welcomes from the rest of you. We have lots to talk about.

Page 1,743 of 1,842 1 2 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.