R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
They have been here a couple of weeks now

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The nights for the next 10 days won't even drop to freezing. I took the snowplow off my UTV this morning. I haven't needed it in 2 winters.
Usually this time of year I have to ration bird feed or they'll bankrupt us. This year they aren't even eating that reduced amount. They're finding enough elsewhere.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny you guys further North in ID have had some RW blackbirds for a while now, ours just showed up last week. First only one, then there was a half dozen the next day or so. Robins overwinter here, mainly go after the juniper berries from what I can tell. Had flocks of them last winter on the tree in the yard that was loaded. Hardly any berries this year, so few robins in the yard but many out in the sage/juniper flats.

We're pretty sure spring is on the way soon enough though. It can't make up it's mind if it wants to snow, rain, freeze, be sunny and 53 degrees, snow again..............maybe all in the same day it seems.

Heard one of the tree frogs the other evening when it was warm (in the high forties) , saw a bluebird by the lake the other day, a meadowlark today, cranes are moving north, flocks of small geese (snows and specks) along with the swans have been here for a couple of weeks. Cows are dropping calves, saw some new lambs up north of us a couple of hours.

I'll be glad this weekend when the time changes too!

Enjoy folks, enjoy. Winter will be back soon enough.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Saw 2 robins yesterday here in the mountains of Utah. There a bit early because we still have a lot of snow. Maybe it means spring is coming soon. I’m over the winter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We had robins here in town a couple weeks ago. I was dumbfounded.

It was colder than hell and 4-5 of them were camped out on the neighbors big juniper tree/bush that is right next to our driveway.

Talkin' snow everywhere and -20F at night.

Put out chopped apples and even bought a $10 bag of dried meal worms but they never touched it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it is so cold in boise , i saw a robin microwaving his worm before eating it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our first robin showed up on February 18th . That's about a month earlier than usual. (We're in northern Wisconsin.) He's still here, too. I don't know why, ... snow is azz-deep and it's been a pretty cold winter. Hardy bugger.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We've had thousands of Robbins now for a few weeks. Suspect they won't be here much longer... geese headed north I heard the specks a week or so ago.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson

It was colder than hell and 4-5 of them were camped out on the neighbors big juniper tree/bush that is right next to our driveway.

Put out chopped apples and even bought a $10 bag of dried meal worms but they never touched it.

You're a good man Sam.. I don't care what they say about you laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Ya! Maybe at your house. If was 2 degrees at our house this morning!

Dad cut part of his yard last Saturday. Several trees are blooming, but early this week it got down in the 20's. Frost/freeze probably got all the blooms.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Sam,

does that juniper have a bunch of berries on it. Robins that overwinter here love the dang things, last year I have robin crap full of juniper seeds all over everything parked outside, the fence, on the gutters...............everyf'n where.

Didn't get down into the -20's here this year, just a -2 or so for the low so far. First winter ('16-'17) we were here it hit -26F so I know the birds can handle it. I'm not sure why these stay around here, the only thing I can figure is those dang juniper berries. Must be the robins like the taste of gin. Maybe this gives them a head start back up to the high country compared to the ones that go further to warmer climates?

Ah, the uncertain vagaries of life.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Robins show up here around Valentines every year. Amazing it is almost like clockwork.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It ain’t so much temperature which kills birds as it is food supply, their feathers insulate pretty well.

Hard to call when spring begins down here being as we have no winter to speak of. The purple martins are the first to come back, end of January/early February. Maybe hummingbirds are a better cue, should have the first ones on my feeder pretty soon.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Robins follow food.

Not temperature.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No robins here yet...but the cherries won't be ripe until July.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Robins follow food.

Not temperature.

True. And food availability follows temperature usually. There will be Robins in Barrow by 3rd week of June. Raising families. Or one, anyway.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m in Kansas City

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Salty, think Dr Doolittle......lol

Geno, oh yeah, they were munching the berries and chitting all over the place!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cousin told me he seen a bunch of Robins down by the river 2 weeks ago. I told him he was drunk.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And just like that ….. boom several robins feeding on the lawn today. Which a few days ago was a frozen pad of snow and ice. They sure know how to follow the break of spring. Hope they've got it right. lol

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,088
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.