Print Thread
Hop To
M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Before the flames start, I have been an avid archer for almost 15 years. I have had surgery on one shoulder and problems with the other and my back. I have been using the same XI Legend Magnum bow since I started bow hunting. It's time for a change and the X-bow makes sense for me.
I have been recomended the TenPoint crossbows from my local pro-shop, but I don't know much about there different models. The prices range from under 500 to almost 2,000. What is a "good" model. Can anyone more knowledgeable than I on the subject give me a run down?

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Funny you should post this, a friend of mine just bought a Tenpoint crossbow today. I am an avid bow hunter but I'll shoot anything. My first shot at 20 yds bulls-eye my second shot at 40 yds bulls-eye pretty good huh? Not to brag to quick, but the guys wife did the same thing her first two shots. Very easy to shoot would be fun to target practice and an accurate weapon for a injured bowhunter. Just my two cents!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not all that knowledgable on them, but I have shot/hunted with several different models. Finally settled on this one:
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...ndex&indexId=cat20024&hasJS=true

Very accurate and easy to shoot.

Also had one of these that is very affordable and shot well. Would have kept it but the neighbor made me and offer I couldn't refuse. If I were to buy another, it would be between these 2. The Horton was much smaller and lighter, and shot almost as good. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...ndex&indexId=cat20024&hasJS=true
Edit: didn't buy them from Cabelas, much better deals around, just posted the links for quick reference.

Last edited by rooster711; 04/12/07.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Mark I know what your are going through with your shoulder because I am in the same boat. I have the stealth x2 crossbow I bought it new in 2003. I have been very pleased with the bow and I have actually been to the factory in suffix ohio where they are made. The best thing about the ten point crossbows is there customer service. I took my bow to get restrung and they replaced the stock and the limbs for free. I am sure there are other crossbow company's out there that make good bows but I will not look ant farther than 10 point.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just witnessed a friend of mine shoot four hogs at distances of 20,30,35,and 40 yards yesterday very accurate, very fast. If something happened to my shoulders that would prevent me from bow hunting I would by one in a heart beat.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
IC B2

M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well I picked one up Saturday. I went with the Ten Point Blazer HP, with the Mill Dot 40. Sweet rig. My local pro-shop assembled the X-Bow, set up the Mill Dot Scope, and sighted in.
The Owner walked me through everything and was very helpful.

!!Props, to Bobby at B&B pro shop in Manassas, VA. cool !!

I have 2" bull on my Block at home and at 30 yards everything has been in the bull!
[Linked Image]

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Congrats. I had to go the same way due to bad shoulder joints.Put me back in the game at 67. So far I can pull the string cocker but there is a crankaroo awaiting the day when I can't.
I shoot a Parker Terminator with a 3 dot Simmons red dot. It's a real nice rig, 320 fps, pull weight of just 150 lbs, compact with an awesome trigger. The other one is an Excalibur Equinox, 350 fps but the pull weight is 225 lbs. It's a recurve so is quite simple sans cables and pullys. It's sighted with a Lumi-Zone scope: a multiple aiming point scope that adjusts trajectory with a velocity dial and has an on-demand lighted reticule. Sweeet!
It you're looking for broadheads, you may try the 1 and a 1/4" 100 gr Slick Tricks or another relatively small, 4 bladed head.
The latter is important. The shorter x bow bolts (mine are just 20") tend to plane with larger heads depending how the blades are oriented. Missed 2 bucks at < 30 yards with Thunderheads before I realized that. Plus the Slicks shoot to the same point of impact with my bows as field tips of comperable weight.So I practice with field tips knowing that the broadheads will be hitting the same spot.
If you do go mecahnical, you may need to double band them is the speed is much over 300 fps due to the intense torque of crossbow release.
BTW, I see no need to apologize for shooting a X bow.Modern compound vertical bows are quieter, as fast of faster and shoot as far or further more acurately. Due to the noise and movement needed to re-cock it's also unlikely that you'll get a second shot. Yet they tend to be spurned by the vertical boys. Go figure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,462
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.