Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,746 of 1,842 1 2 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1841 1842
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

There was nothing going on here so out of curiosity I did some looking to see if I could find your shop. My last reading of the old stuff here did not have much past your finishing the building. That's where I found the dog post. My compliments on the shop and the truly fantastic work you do there. All of the cars/trucks coming out of there are no less than perfect.
I saw an old post where you put an animal hide in the cabin that you had tanned yourself. Have you ever done any taxidermy? With your artistic ability and patience I suspect you would be very good at it. Not that probably have time for that to.
I have been doing it as a hobby, mostly deer but I did a caribou and my own full body bear, that came out pretty good but I decided I wasn't doing another one of those.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
Dave, I saw the dog running around on the roof. That's different.
We have had a lot of snow here also but clearly not that much. Our house is up on a hill so the wind tends to keep the roof from building up to much.
Are you having any issues/concerns with it at the cabin?
[quote=northern_dave][quote=Northern_Jim]Dave, I saw the dog running around on the roof. That's different.
We have had a lot of snow here also but clearly not that much. Our house is up on a hill so the wind tends to keep the roof from building up to much.
Are you having any issues/concerns with it at the cabin?

Saw the dog on facebook or?

The cabin could be flattened, I'm not sure, haven't been out there for a while. I'm hoping the snow slid off the roof, it's a tin roof and it usually does slide.

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've been taking snow off the house roof, it's deep and heavy. We are supposed to get another 6 to 8" of heavy wet snow starting tonight, that would just bee too much on top of the 2' I already have. Some areas of my roof were 4' deep with snow. This is the garage roof that I'm working on, attached to the house.

[Linked Image]

I have not seen a roof rake system like you are using here. How exactly does it work?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've been taking snow off the house roof, it's deep and heavy. We are supposed to get another 6 to 8" of heavy wet snow starting tonight, that would just bee too much on top of the 2' I already have. Some areas of my roof were 4' deep with snow. This is the garage roof that I'm working on, attached to the house.

[Linked Image]

I have not seen a roof rake system like you are using here. How exactly does it work?

You start small...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, Dave! That's a lot of work, and that's just one of your rooftops to clear. I hope Chickenbuck is okay. I'd wager to think there will be more than a few camps with significant damage up your way. I wonder if a black tin roof would shed the snow any better than a shingled roof would? The only thing that makes me think it might, is my neighbor has a blacktopped driveway, and his driveway is always the first one to melt off, way before our paved driveways. Just wondering if the black color and it's inherrant warmth would me a big difference.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

[Linked Image]

Its just some junk i threw together in the shop at the end of the day on Tues this week. It works well, just hard work.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, this is the commercial version of ND's slick roof rake system.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Jim, this is the commercial version of ND's slick roof rake system.

Thanks for the info, pretty neat. I have never seen this before and we usually get our share of snow.
Why am I not surprised that ND made his own. I may just try that myself, no more snow in the rain gutter.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
New to 99's

Wondering just how new you are to 99's ?

I got my first one last year but not in time to hunt with it. I really like it and after a lot of careful disassembly and cleaning I like it even more. It's a 1950 EG I believe in 300 Savage. I put an old "Ted Williams" Sears 4x scope on it (made by Weaver) after removing the Tasco 3x9. It clearly was hunted with but taken care of. Has an old well used leather sling that I like and it shoots pretty nice in the limited range time I had with it.
One thing I noticed that is pretty unique to these rifles is that the ser. # is also stamped on both parts of the stock and even the butt plate, all hand fitted parts I assume.

Would love to hear about anyone else's feelings on the '99 and if there is any preference between the factory 150 or 180gn bullet?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody going to the gun show at the Mn. State Fair Grounds on Sunday? I'm planning on going. Maybe match up for a coffee or????

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
New to 99's

I got my first one last year but not in time to hunt with it. I really like it and after a lot of careful disassembly and cleaning I like it even more. It's a 1950 EG I believe in 300 Savage. I put an old "Ted Williams" Sears 4x scope on it (made by Weaver) after removing the Tasco 3x9. It clearly was hunted with but taken care of. Has an old well used leather sling that I like and it shoots pretty nice in the limited range time I had with it.
One thing I noticed that is pretty unique to these rifles is that the ser. # is also stamped on both parts of the stock and even the butt plate, all hand fitted parts I assume.

Would love to hear about anyone else's feelings on the '99 and if there is any preference between the factory 150 or 180gn bullet?

Don't know whether you know it or not, but there is a forum on the Campfire dedicated to Savage firearms and it is extremely heavy with knowledge and info on the M99. I would highly recommend you check it out. It's a tremendous resource.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03/15/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, bought my first one, from a buddy who origanaly lent it to me, in 2012.

M99c premil, .308, was drilled & tapped, so I added a 3-9x40 bushnell, as seen in the following pictures. Now wears a 2-7x32 Redfield revolution.

I absolutely love it, but our harsh hunting conditions have taken their toll on the action metal.

[Linked Image]

Lots of dead deer via 150gr Federal Fusions & 2 bull moose via 165gr Federal Fusions.

Currently in safe, waiting to find the right guy to clean up the metal.

Paul.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Jim, bought my first one, from a buddy who origanaly lent it to me, in 2012.

M99c premil, .308, was drilled & tapped, so I added a 3-9x40 bushnell, as seen in the following pictures. Now wears a 2-7x32 Redfield revolution.

I absolutely love it, but our harsh hunting conditions have taken their toll on the action metal.

[Linked Image]

Lots of dead deer via 150gr Federal Fusions & 2 bull moose via 165gr Federal Fusions.

Currently in safe, waiting to find the right guy to clean up the metal.

The gun looks pretty clean in the pics. Do you mean the actual inside of the receiver action parts are corroded or just the bluing is worn? You have probably heard about 0000 steel wool and gun oil to clean them up ? As far as the inside action parts, I was reluctant to dig into mine but once I did it wasn't that bad. Mine had little wear or corrosion just a lot of dirt & oil build up. I don't think the insides were ever touched since 1950.
The '99 is a great gun.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
New to 99's

Don't know whether you know it or not, but there is a forum on the Campfire dedicated to Savage firearms and it is extremely heavy with knowledge and info on the M99. I would highly recommend you check it out. It's a tremendous resource.

Yes, I think I was cruising around after looking at that when I found this very interesting thread and noticed that a few of you had mentioned the 99. And the Rem. 760

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Town side landing starting to go to [bleep], in the warm weather, so time to pull her off !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
When you need to get the Hi-lift out to get the house off...it's time to pull it. Glad you got it out of there.

It's the time of year when tzone tom gets the itch for a new (different) boat. I have been a Ranger/Lund guy forever but pretty much got priced out of that game. My current boat is a 16.5' Alumacraft Classic. Too small. I found a decent deal on a used 18' Skeeter glass boat with a 115 Suzuki. She ain't pretty but they all look good at closing time.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
That looks like a lot of work. Spring weather has finally arrived here also. Not a lot to do until all the snow is gone and spring projects can start.Like getting your old car back out maybe.
[Linked Image]

Wonder what ND is working on

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That looks like a lot of work. Spring weather has finally arrived here also. Not a lot to do until all the snow is gone and spring projects can start.Like getting your old car back out maybe.
[Linked Image]

Wonder what ND is working on

Yessss!

Details Jim?

End of this week I should be ordering the top end for my 351w small block ford. I'm pretty excited I’ve been saving up for what seems like forever for it.

Last edited by tzone; 03/19/19.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Paul, your 99 C in 308 looks new compared to my buddies rifle same as yours, it was his Gramps rifle, used in PA. and MI. its taken Elk 3 bears and a truck load of deer! Gotta love a 99!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Dave is working mostly on business expansion plans. Insulating, finishing, wiring a new building and fitting it with equipment and tools. then creating a break room in the main building. The idea is to support 2 additional employees and be able to shoot through projects faster.

also doing bodywork on a 35 plymouth street rod.

Sweet chevy!

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mr 'Ring,

That picture was taken, just after I purchased it.

Knocked some of the "pretty" off it, so it's little different now !

Our fall & winter hunting conditions are varied & harsh.

Jim, yeah rust / pitts on the external metal - could go the steel wool/oil route, however, I was thinking that + professional re-bluing.

Paul.

Page 1,746 of 1,842 1 2 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 57 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.