Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by dSmith_45
What we don't know yet is if the on duty flight crew reported the problem after landing or if the third pilot after the crash offered up 'oh yeah, it did that same thing yesterday'

If the flight crew didn't report it, they're the ones who need to hang. It was a known problem and somewhere along the line, someone is culpable.

This!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
TRIM DISCONNECT BUTTON, "PRESS"

This too!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skimp == Sabotage where a flight critical systems are concerned. At least to us half-wits.

Are those the same pilots that say it's never pilot error, it's always somebody else's fault? The union mantra.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okie,

The way these things are resolved is into contributing factors and cause. What lead to the incident, and what happened that inevitably caused it. If the situation was recoverable, why wasn't it?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Skimp == Sabotage where a flight critical systems are concerned. At least to us half-wits.

Sabotage (verb) - to deliberately destroy, damage, vandalise, cripple, etc

If you think thats the same as a manufacturer 'skimping' as many do [within the law] to please shareholders,
you truly are all the idiot you proudly show yourself as.

Are those the same pilots that say it's never error, it's always somebody else's fault? The union mantra.

LOL...I don't know - are they?...Id say its just more of your trademark conjecture at work.

Rational folk would rather listen and give some credence to 737 captains and Boeing technicians involved with 737 MAX

than clueless rambling types like yourself that desperately scramble around in the dark of their minds and point fingers.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(Does this guy ever stop laugh )

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m not an expert, but every airplane I fly has a MSW, a master switch on the control column. A nice bright red button under my left thumb that if pushed, disconnects the autopilot and the yaw damper. It’s there to take control of the aircraft and ‘hand fly’ it due to some abnormality with the autopilot and/or yaw damper (Flight management system) or to land the airplane. There are two FMS’s. Normally it gets pushed at 200’ agl to land. I’ve pushed it due to severe turbulence recently. I’ve never flown a Boeing Max, but I’m sure it also has a MSW used for the same purposes. If the aircraft is not doing what it is supposed to be doing, you are supposed to be trained to ‘fly the airplane’ by hand.

I’m trying to figure out why these two foriegn crews in the MAX watched the airplane fly itself into the ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In days of old
When pilots were bold
And autopilots weren't invented
They were rarely sold
On machinery malcontented

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch the movie Sully.

Different incident, circumstances, airplane, and manufacturer.

The response was identical.

Lie, connive, whatever it takes to make the company look good,
destroying a good pilot who did everything right, just make the optics positive.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Pilot error, pilot training, or Boeing Incompetence... I imagine it'll all come out eventually. Difference in who the pilots are and their competence might not be so easy to understand. The way that I've understood it so far is that their is a difference in the planes exported and the ones sold to U.S. airlines, in that the sensor at the hart of the problem has a back-up on U.S. planes and the exports don't. On the planes flown by U.S airlines if one sensor fails or the two don't agree, the autopilot automatically disconnects giving the pilots immediate control.

Story had it that that was the reason Boeing wasn't too worried about letting U.S. planes continue to fly until the patch was released... but apparently that fact wasn't common knowledge to airlines around the globe.

Phil

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So, the MCAS works with both the autopilot and when the pilots are flying. Apparently, in the Max the trim button in the column DOES NOT override the MCAS trim. The solution is to flip the master switch and turn off power to the trim motor. And yes, the Lion plane was known to have a faulty AOA sensor. What was not known by the pilots or the airlines was that the M AS system existed and how it depended on the AOA sensor.

Was it something that a US pilot or, as we saw any well trained or experienced pilot should figure out? Yeah, for a lesser crew with the autopilot engaged? I can see how they might think that it was a problem with the autopilot instead of what it really was. And in the Lion plane apparently the stick shaker was going, the stall warning was blaring, and they were too distracted to notice the trim wheel spinning. But of course that would have stopped as soon as it reached its full travel which was the position it was found in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okie,

The way these things are resolved is into contributing factors and cause. What lead to the incident, and what happened that inevitably caused it. If the situation was recoverable, why wasn't it?

In Naval Aviation there are four broad categories of contributing factors that lead to a root cause: Pilot Error, Mechanical Failure, Manufacturing Defect, and Maintenance Error.

If we (the public) assume the software in the Max was defective and inadvertently or incorrectly caused the control configuration that resulted in the crash, then you have to focus in on Manufacturing Defect (Software)

But, Boeing has already stated publicly that the switch to disconnect the software from the catastrophic automatic control configuration, was right next to the pilot's knee. (example of go/no go)

So then you have to ask, assuming this is the case, why didn't the pilot switch off the erratic software which had the aircraft configured to crash?

Possible reasons: The switch was manipulated by the pilot, but was inoperative/failed to deactivate the software; the pilots had not received proper/effective training on this emergency procedure, and were unaware of the switch's location/purpose.

So then you have to ask, if the switch was activated by the pilots, but didn't work, why didn't it work? (You return to Manufacturer Defect); If the pilots were not properly trained on this emergency procedure, you have to ask who failed to properly/effectively train, and why did they fail to complete/ensure the required training. Depending on the sales contract for the aircraft from Boeing, this could be Boeing's negligence (again, why were they negligent?) or it could be a supervisory error in the oversight of the pilots.

All of these rat holes have to be tapped and followed to their conclusion, to find the root cause, with a continuation of why, why, why. Along the way, one can find certain go/no go decisions that could have interrupted the chain of events, but finding the root cause allows the powers that be to come up with lessons learned and effective corrective action. It is a complicated process, and a proper and thorough mishap investigation can take a year or more to complete.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How would a pilot not know his AOA sensor was bad? I would think it would show up on the display.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
How would a pilot not know his AOA sensor was bad? I would think it would show up on the display.

Like I said they knew it was bad. It isn’t too critical of an item. What they did not know was that there was an MCAS system that would trim the airplane regardless of other control input from either the autopilot based on information from that faulty sensor.

For all we know, the crew from earlier in the day reported the runaway trim incident and the trim motor and controls were checked out and the autopilot checked out and all found to be in order.

But Boeing DID NOT TELL ANYONE about the MCAS and what it did.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/20/19.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would imagine it would also make a big difference at what altitude the plane was at when that one sensor failed... My understanding is that in both crashes it was at take-off.

Phil

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bear in mind that Boeing designed a system that would trim the aircraft right into the ground if not stopped by the pilots. They could have designed it to move 2 degrees or something like that and stop.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Boeing's KC-46 problems, probable loss of any F-15X work, and now this... I'm thinking Boeing is in deep-doo-doo

Phil

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If a had a nickel for every time a line mechanic cleared an aircraft for the next flight by writing “unable to duplicate - ops check good”....

I’m not saying that is necessarily what happened here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As mentioned, it seems to me the ultimate cause of incident, for both crashes, was pilot error.

Under trained, inexperienced, and never should have been in the cockpit of a passenger jet to begin with.

Boeing should have done a few things different. The FFA should have done a few things different. Neither is as culpable as the pilots and the airlines that put them in the cockpit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.