Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yoder , then you're one of the 1%, right? 250 yds with a RF, is BS to me. And 450 headshots> more BS. I have a friend who won't even shoot a groundhogs "the close" , but he shoots out in Ohio and other places where wide open, and is setting at a table, shooting a Cheytac round. But we're talking about the PA mountains, and such place,were most of the time you don't have a 400 yd open shot, period. Where I've hunted most of my deer, a 50 yd shot long. I've shot competitive LR and so can hit a deer of something at a longer range, if needed to. But those ranges not available here. The other thing is a deer quickly becomes a mouse size target at 450 yds. Have shot that range in Colorado.

Ghost
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ghost
The other thing is a deer quickly becomes a mouse size target at 450 yds. Have shot that range in Colorado.

I completely agree. Most folks couldn't see a deer at a quarter mile even with binoculars.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
says the guy with no binoculars.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yoder , then you're one of the 1%, right? 250 yds with a RF, is BS to me. And 450 headshots> more BS. I have a friend who won't even shoot a groundhogs "the close" , but he shoots out in Ohio and other places where wide open, and is setting at a table, shooting a Cheytac round. But we're talking about the PA mountains, and such place,were most of the time you don't have a 400 yd open shot, period. Where I've hunted most of my deer, a 50 yd shot long. I've shot competitive LR and so can hit a deer of something at a longer range, if needed to. But those ranges not available here. The other thing is a deer quickly becomes a mouse size target at 450 yds. Have shot that range in Colorado.

I know nothing of any 1%. I just grew up shooting and reloading and don't suck at it.

As far as BS......... the first liar don't stand a chance. But I can shoot 700+ yards by putting up my bedroom window. I haven't even pursued it hard and my personal, casual best with a rimfire is a groundhog at a lasered 280 yards. And it was a small groundhog. Have not monkeyed with any of my centerfires on groundhogs for a good many years. But my Swift shoots 3 shot groups at 100 from the high .1's to the mid .3's depending on whether I do my job or not. Last centerfire groundhogs I shot were with my bear rifle right around the 300 yard line. No fuss. No muss. For chitz and giggles, at the farm, we shoot an 8" round plate at 600 with sporter-weght rifles......some accurized.....some stock.....and most days, get bored with hitting it.

So if that makes me a liar or puts me in some theoretical percentile, then so be it. Most farm boys around here can shoot. Some better than others.

Last edited by Yoder409; 03/31/19.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
ghost.... please explain how a deer becomes the size of a mouse.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
says the guy with no binoculars.....

Upon what do you base this assertion? confused

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

What you know about LR shooting in the Pa mountains can be written on a period.

Last edited by battue; 03/31/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is this the April fools thread?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
Is this the April fools thread?

Not til tomorrow.

It's just the "fool's thread" today.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
For me it is anything past 600 because I practice with clay pigeons at that range. For others it is much shorter. And for others it is longer.

How do you define it?

Sorry, but I'm gonna be that guy. What kind of choke are you using?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yoder , then you're one of the 1%, right? 250 yds with a RF, is BS to me. ,,,.

Daughter #2 hit 11 clay pigeons with 12 shots, 200 yard berm, Browning SA-22 I purchased new in 1974 and had probably 10K rounds through it at the time. Strong crosswind, She was aiming about a foot to the left.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
For me it is anything past 600 because I practice with clay pigeons at that range. For others it is much shorter. And for others it is longer.

How do you define it?

Sorry, but I'm gonna be that guy. What kind of choke are you using?

Cylinder.
Mostly .243", .257", .264", .284", .308", and .338". smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2018, I painstakingly built a long range rifle in 280AI, and sighted in at long ranges, and then shot a 15" antelope buck free hand at ~~ 50 yards.

Long range hunting is in the planning, but what really happens in hunting could be anything.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
2018, I painstakingly built a long range rifle in 280AI, and sighted in at long ranges, and then shot a 15" antelope buck free hand at ~~ 50 yards.

Long range hunting is in the planning, but what really happens in hunting could be anything.

Did a similar thing a few years back. Practiced extensively out to 600 yards, sat on a hill where 400-500 for elk was most likely, passed on a shot at 25 feet, took a shot that was about 25 yards.

That's why I prefer bullets that are good near to far.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did a similar thing a few years back. Practiced extensively out to 600 yards, sat on a hill where 400-500 for elk was most likely, passed on a shot at 25 feet, took a shot that was about 25 yards.

Sounds like Hammer bullets.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman

Have never seen a Hammer bullet in person but the design doesn't leave me with any warm fuzzies. I simply don't trust bullets like the TTSX and other mono-, hollowpointed bullets to open reliably at low velocity - or even high velocity - based on experience with Barnes X bullets.

Bullets I do trust and use - at least as far as I'll shoot, which is 600 max and only then under perfect conditions - include the following:
Barnes TTSX
Swift Scirocco II
Nosler AccuBond
Swift A-Frame
North Fork FP
North Fork,SS
North Fork HP

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coyote_Hunter ,

They will refund your money if you are not satisfied.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Coyote_Hunter ,

Thanks, but not interested. I have good loads for every rifle I shoot and for every purpose I use them for. I will admit the Federal Edge TLR is interesting and will likely get a try.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Coyote_Hunter ,

Tell us about your experience with Hammer bullets.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got hammered once.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.