Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BEN243 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just loaded fifty 222's using virgin Rem cases, CCI small rifle primers and 50 gr Sierra bullets. After loading these, I noticed that the primers weren't seated completely (level) in the cases. They were just sticking out slightly, so I tried a few rounds in my rifle and the bolt closed over them without any problem. I then tried seating a few more primers in unloaded virgin cases and they wouldn't go all the way in either. I guessing the primer pockets in the cases are a bit smaller they they should be ? Anyway, I think the loaded rounds should be safe to shoot, but since this is the first time anything like this has happened to me, I thought I should get a few other opinions before actually trying them. TIA, Ben

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They should be safe to shoot, but the primers may look pretty flattened after firing--which will not be due to excessive pressure, but the primers being "raised" a little bit.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pull them and use primers that go all the way in... you dont want any going off when you close the bolt.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Hubert
Pull them and use primers that go all the way in... you dont want any going off when you close the bolt.

That's what would worry me. It's only 50, I'd pull 'em myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If closing the bolt on a raised primer is going to set the primer off, then how do we get away with seating a primer in the first place?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They should be safe to shoot, but the primers may look pretty flattened after firing--which will not be due to excessive pressure, but the primers being "raised" a little bit.

What John said

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just don't slam the bolt shut on them and you'll be fine. Reference what RR said above.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only time I'd worry about a slightly raised primer would be with a semi-auto.

You probably have a little wiggle room anyway, unless your headspace is on the short side.

B
BEN243 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the comments ... I guess I'll try them ... carefully. Ben

Last edited by BEN243; 04/02/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What Vic said.

Normal bolt-action chambering won't cause a primer to go off.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I would just go back to the press and try to seat the primers all the way. You don't have to pull them for that. Use appropriate caution of course.

If the rounds with raised primers do chamber, that indicates you're bumping shoulders back too far on your brass and creating excess headspace. Measuring shoulder bump and adjusting the sizing die appropriately will let your brass live longer, and will prevent showing false pressure signs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had some Sellior and Bellot .308 cases that had slightly shallow primer pockets. Every primer seated was raised slightly, enough to feel with my thumb.

They shot fine.

Last edited by Elvis; 04/03/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Yondering
I would just go back to the press and try to seat the primers all the way. You don't have to pull them for that. Use appropriate caution of course.

If the rounds with raised primers do chamber, that indicates you're bumping shoulders back too far on your brass and creating excess headspace. Measuring shoulder bump and adjusting the sizing die appropriately will let your brass live longer, and will prevent showing false pressure signs.

He's using virgin brass at this point.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had a primer go off when I was loading 44 mag shells , they were too high and I was bumping them down even with the back of the case. and one fired. no harm was done as it only had the primer in it . I removed all the ones I had the primers in and put the proper primers in them.. anyone that would try to reseat a loaded shell primer is plain nuts. me and a friend used to load about 400 44 mag shell a week as we used revolvers to hunt with for several years..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Last edited by New_2_99s; 04/03/19. Reason: MathMan pointed it out, above !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by mathman

He's using virgin brass at this point.

OK, but that doesn't necessarily mean unsized. Plenty of handloaders, myself included, size every case before loading even with new brass. But you're right, the factory new brass is likely to have the shoulders bumped back a bit more than necessary, so it may not be the OP's die setup at fault.

Either way, it's still an indication that headspace is likely excessive, unless the OP has very sensitive fingers and is noticing just a few thousandths protrusion.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BEN243
Thanks for the comments ... I guess I'll try them ... carefully. Ben

No worries Ben. You'll be fine. Certain posts in this thread reminded me of my sig line. Not your post, but a couple of the responses. Cheers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The firing pin will seat them.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BEN243
Just loaded fifty 222's using virgin Rem cases, CCI small rifle primers and 50 gr Sierra bullets. After loading these, I noticed that the primers weren't seated completely (level) in the cases. They were just sticking out slightly, so I tried a few rounds in my rifle and the bolt closed over them without any problem. I then tried seating a few more primers in unloaded virgin cases and they wouldn't go all the way in either. I guessing the primer pockets in the cases are a bit smaller they they should be ? Anyway, I think the loaded rounds should be safe to shoot, but since this is the first time anything like this has happened to me, I thought I should get a few other opinions before actually trying them. TIA, Ben

I am a huge fan of the 222 Rem, that said Rem probably makes the worst brass for this chambering. You have 2 choices #1 get a primer pocket uniformer and fix the cases you have or #2 buy a box of Lapua brass and they will out last your barrel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Wait a minute! Do you want to rethink that? These are loaded rounds!

Do NOT try to reseat primers on loaded rounds!

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1moredeer, 58 invisible), 14,345 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,283
Posts18,545,162
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.