Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dogzapper: Steve for once I wish I still lived out there on the west coast instead of here in SW Montana!
Good luck in your sale.
I am interested in any Jack O'Connor books you may have and would pay shipping if that is in your plans.
How about the Dall Sheep horn handled knife you have - is that going to be for sale?
Again interested if so.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Dale in Dillon

Friend Dale,

The basic George Herron Number Two with desert ironwood handles are fairly priced at from $1000 to $1500. And this ain't one of them.

This knife, however, is totally a one-of-a-kind. It's quite literally the ONLY sheep horn handled sheath knife that my buddy, George ever made.

Pricing it will be difficult because there are absolutely NO comparables.

Yeah, I'll sell the knife, but we'd have to work together to figure out a fair price.

Like everything else we're liquidating, I want the buyer to think he got a great deal, yet I don't want to feel cheated.

Obviously, the dall sheep horned Herron comes with the magazine article I wrote about it. Even autographed, if you like grin.

Blessings,

Steve

Ohhhh, that knife is amazing. It'd be a thrill to see and handle it in person......

What about the Herron folders and other fixed blades?

Regardless of that type of stuff, good luck with the transition to the new digs. I hope things go well with the moving.

Yeah, I've got some Herron sheath knives and some folders.

I've gotta think about the prices on them. Literally all of them are typical George jewelry.

Anyway, lets keep in touch and see what happens.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Hiya Steve. Cleaning out, downsizing is in my future also. The only thing I want from you, I have had for many years. That is, of course, your friendship, and that of Karen.
Get another Scottie lassie, she will keep you young. Elvie sends her love to you both.

Sam

Friend Sam,

This friendship surely goes both ways.

Sophie is doing good. Recently, we've had a pair of mallard ducks in our backyard pond. Soph has designated herself responsible for keeping our yard duck-free. She fell in the pond yesterday and somehow didn't get wet (walks on water, I guess grin)

By the way, this situation absolutely SUCKS. Karen is in constant pain from wearing out a bunch of discs in her spine and she has a failed fusion from twenty years ago. It hurts me to see her on her constantly on her walker and in so much pain … and she's still grinning. Anyway, I'm not far behind her. Again, SUCKS.

Love and hugs to both you and Elvie.

Your friend Steve

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

My personal copy of Elmer's Safari has been sold.

And thanks to the 24HCF

Blessings,

Steve

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can you tell us one last time how to identify a feral cat vs a house cat?

That was one of your greatest lines.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrfudd
I would be interested in a zebra rug

Yep, I've got a couple and a back-hide.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Friend Clark, I'll try to recount the story as well as my memory can dredge it up. Yeah, it was a high spot in my life.

Here goes: I was testing my new wunderkind varmint rifle; a .220 Swift Ackley. It shot boolits hella fast.

Anyway, in the middle of load development, a rogue cat, or a bobcat in drag, came slowly waltzing across the 100-yard berm. I could tell it was rogue because of the pink bejeweled collar (amazing what you can see with a 36-power scope)

I thought the world be not badly harmed by the demise of a rogue, so I shouldered him with a bullet leaving the muzzle at about 4,400 fps.

Upon the shot, the middle of the rogue kitty-cat disappeared in a fog. The rear quarters flew many feet in the air to the right. And to the left, the head probably flew seventy feet in the air and ended considerably downrange.

If memory serves, I never found the pink bejeweled collar.

Blessings,

Your buddy Steve

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Anybody know what a decent price, both to buyer and seller, would be for the little green Elmer Keith's Big Game Rifles and Cartridges?

I searched the internet and came up dry. There are three or four reprints, Wolfe and such, but this is the small green 1936 book. The condition is really, really good, especially considering that it's eighty-some years old.

I'm thinking $100, but I easily could be waaaay off the mark.

Anyway, if any of you guys knows about the pricing of this book, please let me know.

Blessings,

Steve

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by deflave

Friend Clark, I'll try to recount the story as well as my memory can dredge it up. Yeah, it was a high spot in my life.

Here goes: I was testing my new wunderkind varmint rifle; a .220 Swift Ackley. It shot boolits hella fast.

Anyway, in the middle of load development, a rogue cat, or a bobcat in drag, came slowly waltzing across the 100-yard berm. I could tell it was rogue because of the pink bejeweled collar (amazing what you can see with a 36-power scope)

I thought the world be not badly harmed by the demise of a rogue, so I shouldered him with a bullet leaving the muzzle at about 4,400 fps.

Upon the shot, the middle of the rogue kitty-cat disappeared in a fog. The rear quarters flew many feet in the air to the right. And to the left, the head probably flew seventy feet in the air and ended considerably downrange.

If memory serves, I never found the pink bejeweled collar.

Blessings,

Your buddy Steve

Well, your memory sure hasn't faded.

Pretty damn close to the original.

Then again, I've been drunk for 20 years so maybe it's exactly like the original.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope this works well for you, Steve. PM sent.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best wishes in your transition.

I'm about 2 hours North and have a couple of buddies who would accompany me to a sale.

Will PM.

Hoping the best, and less pain, for your wife and you.

Regards,
Bob.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best of luck with your new living arrangement Steve.

Thank you for all the info and interesting stories you have shared over the years through here and the VH mag. I very much appreciate you spending at least and hour on the phone many years ago helping me with a rifle build.

Take care!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, I wish I lived closer...not that S.E. South Dakota is the dark side of the moon, I know. wink

In recognition of your influence on myself and many others from the Varmint Hunter days, I have begun ordering parts for an exact replica of your 223 Ackley. It was all I could do to not spec. a purple/white swirl, though. wink

All the best to you and Karen. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Steve, I wish I lived closer...not that S.E. South Dakota is the dark side of the moon, I know. wink

In recognition of your influence on myself and many others from the Varmint Hunter days, I have begun ordering parts for an exact replica of your 223 Ackley. It was all I could do to not spec. a purple/white swirl, though. wink

All the best to you and Karen. smile -Al

Friend Al,

I treasure the great times we spent at the VHA Jamboree. Your friendship will always be precious to me, live on the dark side of the moon or not grin

In friendship,

Your buddy Steve

PS. I've often thought that in a perfect world Ned, Marc and crew had been "caught dirty." You and a few others know what I mean.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Anybody local need a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT pickup with the way-extra super SLT package? It's a 1500 crew cab/short bed.

I've owned it for 22 months and put a rip-roaring 650 miles on it.

Without a doubt the finest rig I've ever owned, but Karen cannot even come close to getting in it and I'm not far from that.

Anyway, I can make the price very, very, VERY right.

Here are the specs, photos to follow:

https://imgur.com/RBXIGyj

Window Sticker
2017 GMC Sierra 1500
SLT 4WD, Short Crew

VIN
3GTU2NEC1HG417260

Engine: 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine

Transmission: 8-speed automatic transmission

Trim: Jet Black Perforated leather-appointed

Color: Quicksilver Metallic

Pricing: Destination Charge $1,295.00

Total Options SEE DEALER
MSRP* $56,540.00

Sierra 1500 4SA Standard Equipment**

Entertainment:
• 6-speaker audio system
• Audio system, 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen with IntelliLink, AM/FM/SiriusXM, HD Radio with USB ports, auxiliary jack, Bluetooth streaming audio for music and most phones, Pandora Internet radio and voice-activated technology for radio and phone (Upgradeable to (IO6) 8" Diagonal Color Touch audio system with Navigation and IntelliLink.) (STD)
• Bluetooth for phone personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system
• Radio, HD
• Single-slot CD/MP3 player (On Crew Cab model replaced by (U42) rear seat DVD/Blu-Ray Entertainment Package when (U42) Entertainment Package is ordered.)
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on nearly all 2017 GM models. Enjoy a 3-month All Access trial subscription with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, news and entertainment. Plus listening on the app and online is included, so you'll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Welcome to the world of SiriusXM. (If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com. All fees and programming subject to change.)
• Steering wheel audio controls
Exterior
• Active aero shutters, front
• Bumper, front chrome lower
• Bumper, rear chrome with rear bumper corner steps
• CornerStep, rear bumper
• Door handles, chrome
• Fog lamps, thin profile LED
• Glass, deep-tinted
• Grille surround, chrome
• Headlamps, high intensity discharge (HID) projector-beam with LED signature
• LED Lighting, cargo box with switch on center switch bank
• Lamps, cargo area, cab mounted with switch on center switch bank
• Mirror caps, chrome (Not available with (GAT) All Terrain Package.)
• Mirrors, outside chrome cap, heated power-adjustable, power-folding and driver-side auto-dimming with integrated turn signal indicators and puddle lamps (includes driver's side spotter mirror)
• Moldings, bodyside, chrome
• Remote Locking Tailgate (Included and only available with (AQQ) Remote Keyless Entry.)
• Tailgate and bed rail protection caps, top
• Tailgate, EZ-Lift and Lower
• Taillamps, LED with signature
• Tire carrier lock keyed cylinder lock that utilizes same key as ignition and door
• Tire, spare P265/70R17 all-season, blackwall
• Tires, P265/65R18 all-season, blackwall (STD)
• Wheelhouse liners, rear (Requires Crew Cab or Double Cab model.)
• Wheels, 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm) polished aluminum (STD)
Interior
• Air conditioning, dual-zone automatic climate control
• Assist handle, front passenger on A-pillar
• Cruise control, steering wheel-mounted
• Defogger, rear-window electric
• Door locks, power
• Driver Information Center, 4.2-inch diagonal color display includes driver personalization, warning messages and vehicle information
• Floor covering, color-keyed carpeting
• Floor mats, color-keyed carpeted first and second row (Not available with (GAT) All Terrain Package.)
• Instrumentation, 6-gauge cluster featuring speedometer, fuel level, engine temperature, tachometer, voltage and oil pressure
• Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming
• OnStar 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot connects to the Internet at 4G LTE speeds; includes OnStar Data Trial for 3 months or 3GB (whichever comes first) (Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data. Available Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar service and data plan. Data plans provided by AT&T.)
• OnStar Guidance Plan for 3 months, including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling) (Fleet orders receive a 6-month trial. Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data.) (Retail orders receive a 3-month trial. Visit www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data.)
• Pedals, power-adjustable
• Power outlet, 110-volt AC
• Remote Keyless Entry (Includes (A91) remote locking tailgate.)
• Remote vehicle starter system
• Seat, rear 60/40 folding bench (folds up), 3-passenger (includes child seat top tether anchor)
• Seating, heated driver and front passenger Only available on Crew Cab and Double Cab models.
• Seats, front 40/20/40 leather-appointed split-bench, 3-passenger with (KA1) heated seat cushions and seat backs. Includes 10-way power driver and front passenger seat adjusters, including driver/front passenger power recline, driver/front passenger power lumbar, 2-position driver memory and adjustable outboard head restraints. (STD)
• Steering column, manual Tilt-Wheel and telescoping
• Steering wheel, leather-wrapped with audio and cruise controls
• Theft-deterrent system, unauthorized entry
• Universal Home Remote
• Visors, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors
• Windows, power with driver express up and down and express down on all other windows
Mechanical
• Alternator, 150 amps (Not included with (PCQ) SLT eAssist Package.)
• Battery, heavy-duty 720 cold-cranking amps/80 Amp-hr, maintenance-free with rundown protection and retained accessory power
• Brakes, 4-wheel disc with DURALIFE rotors, 4-wheel antilock
• Capless Fuel Fill
• Cargo tie downs (4), movable upper
• Cooling, auxiliary external transmission oil cooler
• Cooling, external engine oil cooler
• Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
• Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8, with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing, includes aluminum block construction (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm; more than 300 lb-ft of torque from 2000 to 5600 rpm) (STD)
• Exhaust, aluminized stainless-steel muffler and tailpipe
• Four wheel drive
• Frame, fully-boxed, hydroformed front section
• GVWR, 7200 lbs. (3266 kg) (Requires Crew Cab or Double Cab 4WD models and (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L86) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Included with (PCQ) SLT eAssist Package on TC15543 Crew Cab model.) (STD)
• Pickup box (STD)
• Rear axle, 3.08 ratio (Standard and only available on (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Not available with (RD3) 20" bright machined aluminum wheels, (NZM) 20" chrome aluminum wheels or 22" LPO wheels.)
• Recovery hooks, front, frame-mounted, black (Standard on 4WD models.)
• Steering, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, rack-and-pinion
• Suspension Package
• Transfer case, active, 2-speed electronic Autotrac with rotary controls, includes neutral position for dinghy towing (Included with 4WD models only.)
• Transmission, 6-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Includes Cruise Grade Braking and Powertrain Grade Braking (STD)
Package
• Trailering equipment includes trailer hitch, 7-pin and 4-pin connectors
Safety-Interior
• Air bags, dual-stage frontal and side-impact, driver and front passenger and head-curtain and seat-mounted side-impact, front and rear outboard seating positions with Passenger Sensing System (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
• Daytime Running Lamps with automatic exterior lamp control
• Rear Vision Camera
• Teen Driver mode a configurable feature that lets you activate customizable vehicle settings associated with a key fob, to encourage safe driving behavior. It can limit certain vehicle features, and it prevents certain safety systems from being turned off. An in-vehicle report gives you information on your teen's driving habits and helps you to continue to coach your new driver
• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (does not apply to spare tire)
Safety-Mechanical
• StabiliTrak, stability control system with Proactive Roll Avoidance and traction control, includes electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist
Warranty
• Basic: 3 Years/36,000 Miles
• Drivetrain: 5 Years/60,000 Miles Qualified Fleet Purchases: 5 Years/100,000 Miles
• Corrosion: 3 Years/36,000 Miles Rust-Through 6 Years/100,000 Miles
• Roadside Assistance: 5 Years/60,000 Miles Qualified Fleet Purchases: 5 Years/100,000 Miles
• Maintenance: 2 Years/24,000 Miles 2 visits

Bunch of other sh1t, like SLT Premium Package, Z-71 and other stuff

God Bless

Last edited by dogzapper; 04/02/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve, wishing you and Karen a smooth transition into the next phase. Wish I was out that way to stop and lift a box or two for you and maybe hear one story.

Your excerpt in Nosler #4 about the 218 Bee really got stuck in my then 18 year old brain and two years ago I finally made owning one a reality when I had a barrel for my encore chambered in it. Thanks for the inspiration and all the other great reading over the years. Thanks also for showing others what living one’s faith really means.

God bless,
Todd

Fear the crabcat.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I guess I missed out on the Safari book, but I would be interested in any other Elmer Keith books. I have a few but some of them have seen some wear so would like to upgrade. Also, any JOC Books or other good writers.

Thanks,

Dean

Please PM me with details.

Last edited by kudu3; 04/02/19.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Friend Todd,

All we have to share in life is ourselves and our total love of God.

The interest in the .218 is fabulous and wonderful and fun to the MAX, but out trust and love of God is everlasting.

That I was, even in a little bit, inspiring to you makes me feel soooooo great. Truly, it was only for the readers that I wrote my little words.

I'll light several Prayer Candles for you before our next Vigil Mass, my friend.

God Bless,

Steve

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Originally Posted by kudu3
Well, I guess I missed out on the Safari book, but I would be interested in any other Elmer Keith books. I have a few but some of them have seen some wear so would like to upgrade. Also, any JOC Books or other good writers.

Thanks,

Dean

Please PM me with details.

Dean,

Any idea about my little mystery book? The little 1936 Elmer Keith Big Game Rifles and Cartridges?

I bought it in about 1952 and it is in pristine shape. I've searched the internet and got no results … apparently fairly rare, though maybe they are so common that they aren't worth a penny.

And, if it's worth nothing, I'll simply throw it in the frickin' recycle bin, like so many of the books I've been doing this week.

Essentially, I simply want this amazing amount of trash gone so I can shuffle off to the Old Folks Home and Die.

God Bless,

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

Sent you a PM. I’d love to see you and Karen again.

YBC,

David.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1_deuce, 673, 3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 21 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.