Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I traded into a Colt Commander last week. It was stock except for a huge set of target sights. Why anyone would hang Bullseye sights on a lightweight Commander is beyond me. The rear was an old Bomar BCMS that overhung the hammer to the point of making it impossible to manipulate. I replaced that with a new Colt 80 series fixed rear, which I had in the parts drawer.

I figured the ski-ramp front sight was silver soldered in place, as was the custom with Bullseye builds of the 60s-70s' so I decided to just lower it to work with the fixed rear sight. About a week of shooting/filing got it spot on at 50 yards with 230 grain ammo. It shoots pretty well for having a stock barrel and bushing. From a rest at 50 yards, I was able to keep five UMC 230 JHP in 5".

My 225grain Flathead load shot in the same place and about as well. From Mecgar, Metalform or McCormick mags, this Colt has fed 250 rounds of 215 grain Express, another hundred 225 grain Flathead, 50 Rem/UMC JHPs and 150 rounds of 230 FMJ. It ran like a sewing machine with that mulligan stew with the original barrel and GI throat.

In summary, the old Commander met and exceeded the performance I've come to expect from a Colt. Its odd sights and minor finish wear don't hurt it as a shooter or carry gun. Front of the slide just happened to reflect the late afternoon sky.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/07/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great pickup, Sarge. Nice looking piece.

I've about given up finding a decent Series 70 Commander around here. The first thing most of the gun shops do is run to gunbroker and check highest prices, if they get one in on a sale or pawn. And forget gunbroker, anyway. I've had an ongoing search running there for months.

Found one about 2 years ago online at a gun shop in TN or KY at a decent price, but it was sold the day before I found it online.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice gun Sarge You don't find old semi autos around here, handguns were
never a thing until recently. And semis are illegal for hunting, so shops would
only order therm in the past.

Anyhow, I have been itching for a lightweight Commander, not sure if 38 or 45.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice 45!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sarge, how much you want for the BoMar

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a soft spot for colt Commander’s. Nice pistol you have their sarge, enjoy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Both LWT Commanders I've owned shot better than the '70 Series Gold Cup I also owned at one time. It was just my impression, but I thought that maybe they took more time fitting them up because of the alloy frame.

In any event, my old Gold Cup was a lemon of the worst sort. Sights were always falling off, too many sharp edges on it, didn't like that fat trigger, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
That's a fine looking old Colt.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Sarge, how much you want for the BoMar

I hadn't given it any thought. The sight was missing the elevation detent pin, which was I didn't care about since I was replacing it anyway. The spring and the screw are there.

I think the detent pins remained constant between models and you can get replacement parts from Kensight.

This is the old original model that requires drilling a 6-48 hole behind the front sight for the elevation screw; but I had a plug screw to cork the hole with. If all that hasn't skeered you off, PM me and I'll make sure the rest of it is sound.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/07/19.

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you all for the kind comments.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Great old Colt there.

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/07/19.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I desperately wanted one of those back in the early 1980s, but couldn't lay my hands on one at any price. They were nearly impossible to acquire. I ended up, after about six months of having a Lightweight Commander on order in several different gun stores, giving up and buying a Mk IV, Series 70 Government Model, which I carried a bit, but not as much as I would have carried the Lightweight Commander.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That is a real nice one. Just enough wear that you don't have to worry about carrying it.

Commanders are my favorite semi-autos. I like mine in 38 Super but there's nothing wrong with a good 45.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Has any of you had a chance to compare the Commander to a Detonics in .45?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO

[Linked Image]

Great looking old Colt.

I picked up a LW Commander some years ago, a parts gun that someone had thrown together. It didn't function well, mostly due to a bad extractor, but the frame work - checkering, and trigger were excellent. The slide wasn't correct for it, and I hemmed and hawed for a while, then made a 9mm Commander out of it, with a 9mm slide and barrel. It ran fine, but the frame apparently has pretty worn rails, and there's a lot of slop in it. Locally Briley does Accu-rails, and I think they may be a smart addition to really fix it up. The LW Commander in 9mm is a pretty slick deal smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Which model of Detonics? Without looking it up, I remember Detonics had a 1911 type that was basically an Officer's Model, then they had the full-size 1911 "Government" model. I don't recall a Commander size model Detonics.

The Detonics was a good gun, basically foreshadowing the Colt Officer's and being a copy of the Colt as opposed to the Star which wasn't an exact copy, but WAS popular as a concealment piece. Back then, it was a crap shoot as to whether you'd find a single action auto that would feed any profile bullet other than FMJ so these guns were used to punch a big hole, not worrying about feeding premium ammo.

IIRC the Detonics like the Randall, had galling problems with the stainless steels used at the time. As such it needed to be kept lubed well.

Personally, I'd rather have the Commander and sacrifice a bit of size to do so. I would run more than 50 JHP's through it to make sure it fed reliably though and if it didn't would re-profile and polish the feed ramp until it ran anything reliably.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
...or you could save yourself the time and trouble, not to mention about $500, and get yourself a Smith M&P Compact or a Glock if you prefer them.

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had a detective friend who had a little Detonics Combat Master, or whatever they called their little Officer size gun. I shot it a time or two and liked it. It and my issued MkIV Government ran fine with dept issued Remington 185 JHP- about the only game in town in 1983.

His Detonics was all steel and heavy for its size, not a bad thing in a pint size 45 auto.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a chance one time to buy a detonics, but didn't.
from memory there were some problems with them depending on when and where they were built. Again, from poor memory those built in oregon were okay, but the later ones built i think in new york not so much.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Star P.D. was another interesting pistol from that era.
Fragile in my experience.

Last edited by night_owl; 04/08/19.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,750
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.