-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The American Revolution was largely fought over tax reasons....
This deliberate theft and mis use of today's tax dollar might someday engender the same result.

The report here is just the tip of the iceberg. With all the talk about Government waste, it always seems like the biggest offenders are the lawmakers themselves. Way too often, these azzholes set themselves up with a personal fifedom, and make a career not out of serving their constituents, but in bilking them.

Congress goes on Spring Break

Sam......

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The American Revolution was largely fought over tax reasons....

That's the official version, but the ink wasn't even dry on the Declaration of Independance before Washington and his cronies were doing exactly the same thing.

Here comes the new boss,... same as the old boss.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard1.html

The most hated tax imposed by the British had been the Stamp Tax of 1765, on all internal documents and transactions; if the British had kept this detested tax, the American Revolution would have occurred a decade earlier, and enjoyed far greater support than it eventually received.

Americans, furthermore, had inherited hatred of the excise tax from the British opposition; for two centuries, excise taxes in Britain, in particular the hated tax on cider, had provoked riots and demonstrations upholding the slogan, "liberty, property, and no excise!" To the average American, the federal government's assumption of the power to impose excise taxes did not look very different from the levies of the British crown.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That's the official version, but the ink wasn't even dry on the Declaration of Independance before Washington and his cronies were doing exactly the same thing.

I agree. Even if we swept DC with a broom, the next spawn of Congress Kritters would act the same.

I see this is another reason for term limits. That would at least spread the wealth around, and not let just a few criminals enjoy living the life of Riley on my dime.

Sam......

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quoteI see this is another reason for term limits. That would at least spread the wealth around, and not let just a few criminals enjoy living the life of Riley on my dime.

Agree on the term limits. Michigan has term limits in its congress. I do know the new guys will do the same thing as their predecessors, but we'd at least get rid of the likes of Conyers, Levin, Kennedy, Schumer, et al, and get some new blood on the scene.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I agree. Even if we swept DC with a broom, the next spawn of Congress Kritters would act the same.

I see this is another reason for term limits. That would at least spread the wealth around, and not let just a few criminals enjoy living the life of Riley on my dime.

Sadly, so true.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I believe the issue of the Revolutionary War was "Taxation without representation."

Not taxation, although everyone would like to avoid that. I'm overtaxed, like the rest of you, but fact is, you can't run any business without income coming in. Roads, Armed Forces...I don't mind paying for these.

It's the fat that needs to be cut, but since it's the fat that gets poliicians elected, they will always be a fat budge.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gene L
I believe the issue of the Revolutionary War was "Taxation without representation."

Very good Gene, the issue of the next "Revolutionary war" will thus be " Taxation because of repr�sentation." wink

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
gene
It's the fat that needs to be cut, but since it's the fat that gets poliicians elected, they will always be a fat budge.

the fat and the graft/corruption/pork.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deersmeller
Originally Posted by Gene L

Very good Gene, the issue of the next "Revolutionary war" will thus be " Taxation because of repr�sentation." wink

Revolutionary war: "Taxation because of mis-representation!" wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What the [bleep] does any of that have to do with what is going on NOW?

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We need two things. Term limits and no pork allowed to be tacked onto bills up for passage.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
One of the unintended consequences of term limits is that a novice thief/politico will rely on his experienced professional staff to guide and control him. They are very well insulated from the taxpayers.
Still, an inexperienced thief is to be preferred.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.