Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This film has been two years in the making. It will make its premiere at the BHA Rendezvous in Boise, on May 4th. The next day it will be live on our Amazon Prime Video and YouTube channels.

Hard to tell a story of hunting, food, conservation, research and how it is funded, all within a 20-minute film. I think our crew did an amazing job to fit it within those confines.

Film trailer at the link below.

If you want to help with Sitka Blacktail Research, this link will give you more details of what is being done - https://sitkablacktail.org

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's Jim, right

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's Jim, right

Yup; the man, the myth, and when it comes to Sitka Blacktails, the legend.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I met him about a dozen years ago. Had an acquaintance that hunted with him.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
T
Judging by your podcasts around that time, I think a buddy and I were up on PoW hunting while you were all filming this. Last August was my first out-of-state hunting trip and I chose PoW blacktail partially because of your previous videos with Jim, and I'm already booked for a return trip. Looking forward to seeing this.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BigFin: Thanks for the heads up - can't wait for the videos release.
Enjoyed the "trailer" but coming from someone who HAS Hunted SE Alaska on several occasions your use of sunny days (non-rainy days!) in that trailer may mislead some?
I trust the longer version of your video will (RAIN DEER - A Sitka Blacktail Story) will relay more typical climatic scenes?
Ketchikan, there in SE Alaska, for instance, receives over 160" or rain a year much of it comes during the Hunting season! One year Ketchikan endured 203" of rain!
That is 16.8 FEET of rain!
Back country Hunting when NOT well prepared for that much rain can be rather dangerous and incredibly uncomfortable!
I know - I been there.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BigFin: Thanks for the heads up - can't wait for the videos release.
Enjoyed the "trailer" but coming from someone who HAS Hunted SE Alaska on several occasions your use of sunny days (non-rainy days!) in that trailer may mislead some?
I trust the longer version of your video will (RAIN DEER - A Sitka Blacktail Story) will relay more typical climatic scenes?
Ketchikan, there in SE Alaska, for instance, receives over 160" or rain a year much of it comes during the Hunting season! One year Ketchikan endured 203" of rain!
That is 16.8 FEET of rain!
Back country Hunting when NOT well prepared for that much rain can be rather dangerous and incredibly uncomfortable!
I know - I been there.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

As you well, know, one day of sunshine is designed to suck you into thinking this is going to be a great week to be outside. Nope, this one day of sun was followed by four days of downpour and 50mph winds. A guy can go stir crazy in a small tent after a few days of listening to nothing by the wind howling and the rain pelting your tent. We filled two tags the first day and the other two tag holders, of which I was one, got rained out, literally and figuratively.

All one can do is laugh, realizing that in this part of the world, weather determines your fate more than any skill a hunter might bring to the mountain. Was a ton of fun, even if we did get weathered out and my tag sits in my desk drawer with so many other unpunched tags. All the more reason for another return to this amazing mountain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man I sure like the trailer. Good job! Look forward to the whole film.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As usual thanks for sharing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look forward to seeing it. Really enjoying your You Tube Channel. Not only your channel but other hunters as well. That platform has really enhanced
Outdoor entertainment for me. I had pretty much gave up watching outdoor programming before I discovered how to use You Tube.
The content gets better and better.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So, this is a different than the Black Tail hunt you filmed with Jim & his black powder rifle awhile back?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just hooked up Amazon Prime...I'll be looking for you Randy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
So, this is a different than the Black Tail hunt you filmed with Jim & his black powder rifle awhile back?

Same location, but a different hunt.

Originally Posted by ingwe
I just hooked up Amazon Prime...I'll be looking for you Randy!

The full version went live on YouTube and Amazon this weekend.

Here is the Amazon link (highest quality viewing experience - https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07R93JPT4/ref=atv_un_tp6_c_OcGi58_brws_2_1

The YouTube link is below....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff Randy. I scheduled four weeks off to chase them up top in August and seeing that big 4x4 doesn’t help the wait.

Last edited by AKduck; 05/05/19.

Yup.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for sharing!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Wow, just wow.

I really enjoyed this episode. The cinematography and music is sublime. Thank you for sharing it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One of the best hunting vids I've ever watched ! Bravo !

Always wanted to go hunt Alaska , this sure was a teaser for real....

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.