Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I posted this on another forum so some of you may see this twice and for that I appologize. I have found some folks don't frequent other forums. I find more info is better than less. Just my opinion.

My question is what countrys still allow 2 buffalo in 7 days and is that a realistic goal. What area and month is best and what is a realistic price.

Thanks for the info.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tanzania, Selous Game Reserve.............

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can accomplish the goal of taking two bufallo in 7 days. The problem is that you will have to pay for more days.
You could try and book two 5 day buf hunts at the end of the season to handle quota where left over. I do not know where you could pay for 7 days at DG rate and get 2 buf at cost of trophy fee + 7 day DG daily rate.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The Selous of Tanzania. They were doing 7 day hunts for Buf in Kilombero area several years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are also 7 day, two-buffalo hunts, in Tanzania's Masailand. I was there in October/November 2005.

Tom

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanzania...Selous...again. A 7 day 1X1 2 buffalo hunt will be about $11,500.00, on up, not including transportation, etc.

Zimbabwe has some less expensive opportunities for a two buffalo hunt...$8,995.00 for one bull and one cow, and those cows can be a real handfull!! shocked

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've answered this elsewhere but will explain the Tanzanian licencing sytem here. The game dept issue 7, 14, 16 and 21 day licences. Each licence allows a certain number of specified species to be hunted on each licence. For example, a 7 day licence allows 2 Buff, 2 wildebeest, 1 impala, 1 warthog, 1 zebra and a Lichenstein's Hartebeest. Longer licences give you more animals. At the other end of the scale is the 21 day licence which gives you 3 buff, 1 lion, 1 leopard, 1 elephant and a shed load of other species.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to Tanzania last September to Rungwa with Foa Safaris. Outstanding. Plenty of buff and lion!

Shakari has a good explaination of what is available on a 7 day license. Air charters are a must, so make sure you get that cost up front.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually Hatari has raised a good point. We include all ancilliary costs such as charters, permits, dip and pack and rifle import etc, but many companies do not...... So you need to get all the inclusions and exclusions in writing before you pay a deposit....... also ensure exactly where you'll be hunting. There are a lot of areas described as nestling against or adjoining the Selous etc. What this means is that the area is not in the Game Reserve and is a buffer zone...... These generally only hold a fraction of the game the reserve itself has.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shakari- thanks for the update. I had it in my head that you could not get 2 buf on a 7 day licence. I am sorry to add incorect info to the thread.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7, 14 and 16 day licence give you 2 Buff and a variety of plains game and in the case of the 14 & 16 day licences, such things as croc and hippo etc and a 21 gives you 3 Buff, 1 Lion, 1 Leopard, 1 Elephant, 1 Hippo plus croc and a whole lot more.

A 21 day hunt isn't cheap but it really is a tremendous hunting experience.........

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shakari- Doesn't Tanzania allow 2 hunters to share a licence on some hunts? How does that work?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, there are 4 different pieces of legislation that refer directly to tourist hunting (2 in English and 2 in Swahili) and one of the very few things they agree on is that each hunter should have his own hunting licence and no person without a hunting licence shall hunt any animal...... That said, it's not that uncommon for some safari companies to allow 2 hunters to share a licence. This makes it cheaper for the clients but they do of course have a game guard in attendance who has to be in agreement/be 'placated' ....... These kind of deals are rarely discussed on public forums for the obvious reasons....... and an outfitter would have to be very indiscreet to admit to doing it on a public forum.....

Last edited by shakari; 04/16/07.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Then what is the difference if I let my wife shoot some of my PG while I shoot 2 buffalo...isn't that called a Companion Hunt? I've taken her along to 3 different countries as an observer and on each trip the PH asked if I'd like to let her shoot an animal or two. Which she did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Each country has it's own game laws and under the various Tanzanian game laws your wife or anyone else is not allowed to take any animals at all, unless she has her own hunting licence........ That said, the same tourist hunting regulations make no provision for any kind of a meat quota, but anyone who thinks no animals are ever taken off quota for meat only is dreaming. Hell, I've even been 'told of people' (not me you understand) who have been asked to shoot a couple of off quota/permit animals to provide meat for various ministers who might be visiting game posts or other places etc......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem with these unofficial shared licences is that if you get an akward game guard who wants to make life difficult, he or she can make life really difficult........ I've been hunting Tanzania for about 13 or 14 years now and have only come across 2 game guards that were a real problem........ but they are out there.

In both cases I was able to handle them but thst doesn't mean every PH could handle every problem.....

Last edited by shakari; 04/16/07.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll add that the phrase 'companion hunt' seems to be very popular (esp) when talking about Tanzania for some reason. Under Tanzanian law, there is no such thing. - Anyone who tells you there is, is wrong at best.

Tanzania has some of the best game populations in Africa and (according to Robertson and the FZS) holds more Buffalo than all the southern and eastern African countries put together...... one of the reasons for this is that they have such good and strict game laws in place. Sure they don't always make it easy for the PH but that's life.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the information.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad I was able to help.... I did send you an e-mail with an attached article I've recently written for one of the African hunting magazines that explains how hunting in the Selous operates..... but don't know if you received it?

Feel free to e-mail me if you think I can be of further help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We hunt in two area's in the Selous. Might want to look at my Tanzania page at my website. We can get you two buff in 7 days in Zim for a lot less money. Especially if you can go this October. Hot, but a great time to see lots of Buffalo. Look at the website and PM or e-mail me if interested.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 8,056 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,829
Posts18,537,034
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.