-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am building a load for a 270WSM with 140 gr. Bullets. Any recommendations for powder.

Looking for excellent groups. I will do the work.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Two that have worked for me are 69 grains of R25 or R26. I keep thinking that Alliant will change the max for R26 but it has not shown any pressure indications in my rifle. This is with Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubonds, Fed 215 primers, and Winchester brass. Both right at 3200 fps. with a 24 inch barrel. Work up especially if any component is different. The brass thickness seems to vary more in the WSM cases than most. I had one early lot that I had to neck turn just to make sure there was enough bullet clearance it was like they had necked down 404 cases with no thinning of the case.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
To be honest I am trying better groups than .80. Would like to shrink to 1/2 inch. I know it is a great group already, but you know how it goes.
24'' barrel, .010 above SAAMI OAL. keeps me near perfect. I chose to use Sierra Game Changer. I was considering Ramshot Magnum but have been using IMR 7828ssc near max loads. I have not yet invested in a neck turner yet, but use Federal brass once fired, FL sizing each time. CCI magnum primers. Picked up an Earnie the gunsmith trigger spring, about 3lbs or close.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
And you fired all of your shots perfectly? No human error involved? Your scope is perfectly mounted and tracks exactly? So it's got to be the powder? Just wondering, no offence.

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Far from perfect, sorry, I can't say that. I do like my powder choice, don't get me wrong. I guess I am looking for improvements and wanted to know if any thought a different powder could be an advantage. Thank you for asking, that is what this is about, (fire away). Fill the case full of magnum powder and see what happens.

I will try the tracking on the scope, good suggestion. I do 3 shot groups. Things heat-up quick after three.

No offense was taken cdparker.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use IMR 4350, great accuracy, my favorite powder!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Adk

I like and use 7828 with excellent velocity & accuracy<for my hunting>. I routinely get
Sub inch groups and sometimes BUG holes.

Based on MANY good reports here— I’m trying and recommend Rl 26. It seems to work well
with heavier bullets. Problem right now seems to be finding it.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tejano
Two that have worked for me are 69 grains of R25 or R26. I keep thinking that Alliant will change the max for R26 but it has not shown any pressure indications in my rifle. This is with Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubonds, Fed 215 primers, and Winchester brass. Both right at 3200 fps. with a 24 inch barrel. Work up especially if any component is different. The brass thickness seems to vary more in the WSM cases than most. I had one early lot that I had to neck turn just to make sure there was enough bullet clearance it was like they had necked down 404 cases with no thinning of the case.

What brand chronograph are you using? Published data, or your own work if you don't mind me asking?

Oscar Wilde~~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ADK,

In the couple of .270 WSM's I've handloaded for, have always gotten great results with H4831, both in velocity and accuracy, and of course because it's an Extreme powder, it works very well in a wide range of temperatures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey guys, thanks for the input.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
H4831SC and a 140 or 150gr Hornady Interlock.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A powder not mentioned yet but works very well H1000

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Within its parameters, I've never had back results with H1000....

its ALWAYS accurate, and yields great velocity....

While RL 26 seems to be the darling desired powder lately, and people complain about not being able to to find it... H 1000 is always find-able.. and does just as good of a job as RL 26....

even under Obama era shortages... I was always able to find H 1000 on the shelves..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by boatanchor
A powder not mentioned yet but works very well H1000

I have developed a load with H1000. I started with .65 gr. and my groups were well over moa. Not good, but further research is definitely needed. I used IMR reloading data and started at the lowest charge and need to get closer to max maybe? .70 gr. is a recommendation for the max .charge. Although, that is with 140 gr. SFT SPR. I am using Sierra Game Changer for this application.

How you say?

Oscar Wilde~~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Originally Posted by Tejano

What brand chronograph are you using? Published data, or your own work if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry I lost track of this thread. The R26 charge weight is from Alliant and R25 I believe is from Nosler. Chrony is the magneto speed which is good for me. I shoot at improvised riflr ranges and the barrel mount is more consistent than types that are affected by terrain and lighting. I keep thinking that the charge for R26 is off but it shoots fine. It is also higher than the 160 grain loads for the 7RM which is probably due to the SAAMI pressure difference. About equal for the 140 & 150 grain loads.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 10 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.