Hop To
Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Any praise ascribed to the 270 shines more light on the more deserving 280.

Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!

BS, just get an 06. The 280 filled a need that never existed. Thats just the way it is.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
vapodog,

What stuff does he know? He cites losing a deer as a young guy with an unspecified cartridge and bullet. If he lost the deer, how does he know what happened? Did he make a bad shot, or was it the fault of the cartridge and bullet? If it was the fault of the bullet, was it due to its caliber, weight or construction?

Similarly, how does he know any of a number of other cartridges won't work on deer won't work as well as the .270 at closer ranges?

I'm a big fan of the .270, in fact at one point about 20 years ago had used it on more big game animals than any other round--and had also watched my wife use it on plenty of big game from pronghorns to bull moose, at ranges from up close to 450 yards. In the 1990's, in fact, Eileen had string of 10 one-shot kills in a row with the .270 on not just antelope and moose but elk and big buck deer, both whitetails and muleys. It works great.

But I have since gotten plenty of experience with several 6.5's that won't match the .270's muzzle velocities. Yet they somehow work great as well--if the hunter puts the right bullet in the right place. Which in my experience is far more important than a few grains of bullet weight and minor differences in retained velocity, especially close up where the 6.5x55 has always worked very well.

I always love how these threads devolve into BOTH theoretical ballistic numbers AND field examples of one.

Here's an experience of "many."

For many years I shot 600 yard matches with NRA rules. We got five sighter shots before firing 20 shots for record. We shot from the prone position, with tight slings, with very accurate heavy rifles. The target was a 36" black circle on a white background. After each shot, people in the pits pulled the target down, stuck a spotter in it, and ran it back up, so you could see exactly where you had shot. We wore specialized shooting coats to dampen recoil, make our bodies rigid, and minimize heartbeat vibrations. Calibers ranged from the .223 using 80 grain bullets through .243s using 105 to 117 grain bullets, the 6.5mms, and .30 calibers. All bullets were heavy for caliber hollow point boat tails. Usually there were two scope sight matches and one iron sight match. The range, of course, was known exactly. Each of us had an exact zero from the previous match. We had three minutes to prepare and get into position. Our gear included a powerful spotting scope next to the rifle, in order to detect wind speed by reading the mirage. Most of us were pretty good at doing that. There were also large range flags to indicate wind speed and direction.

I maintain that the conditions of such matches were better for accuracy than one would ever find when hunting at comparable ranges.

Now here's the point. Why did we get five sighter shots? Because at least 1/3 of the first sighting shots did not come close enough to the target center to kill a deer. Also, it was quite common, after getting in the X-ring, to see a slight change in conditions blow the bullet out. In fact, anyone shooting 20 shots within a 12" circle would score 200/200 and probably win the match. Most of us couldn't do that.

From this experience, I think that hitting a deer at 600 yards with the first shot is larely a matter of luck. I would not attempt it. If the 6.5 is marginally better than a .270 beyond 600 yards, after it has dropped more in the first 600 yards, so what? Neither is a competent 600-yard hunting round.

Well said.

I Dindo Nuffin
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I certainly would not sell my 270's to go buy a 6.5 'mooorrrreee.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Here's an experience of "many."

For many years I shot 600 yard matches with NRA rules. We got five sighter shots before firing 20 shots for record. We shot from the prone position, with tight slings, with very accurate heavy rifles. The target was a 36" black circle on a white background. After each shot, people in the pits pulled the target down, stuck a spotter in it, and ran it back up, so you could see exactly where you had shot. We wore specialized shooting coats to dampen recoil, make our bodies rigid, and minimize heartbeat vibrations. Calibers ranged from the .223 using 80 grain bullets through .243s using 105 to 117 grain bullets, the 6.5mms, and .30 calibers. All bullets were heavy for caliber hollow point boat tails. Usually there were two scope sight matches and one iron sight match. The range, of course, was known exactly. Each of us had an exact zero from the previous match. We had three minutes to prepare and get into position. Our gear included a powerful spotting scope next to the rifle, in order to detect wind speed by reading the mirage. Most of us were pretty good at doing that. There were also large range flags to indicate wind speed and direction.

I maintain that the conditions of such matches were better for accuracy than one would ever find when hunting at comparable ranges.

Now here's the point. Why did we get five sighter shots? Because at least 1/3 of the first sighting shots did not come close enough to the target center to kill a deer. Also, it was quite common, after getting in the X-ring, to see a slight change in conditions blow the bullet out. In fact, anyone shooting 20 shots within a 12" circle would score 200/200 and probably win the match. Most of us couldn't do that.

From this experience, I think that hitting a deer at 600 yards with the first shot is larely a matter of luck. I would not attempt it. If the 6.5 is marginally better than a .270 beyond 600 yards, after it has dropped more in the first 600 yards, so what? Neither is a competent 600-yard hunting round.

You are largely correct about this, but there's two factors you're omitting:
1) Shooting off a bipod or ruck reduces group size by about a factor of two vs. prone+sling+coat
2) Wind is the primary enemy, and wind drift goes down as bore goes down and SD and BC goes up. Velocity matters too, but not as much. So there's a lot of loads in various .264 cartridges that can't be matched for wind drift by anything in a factory .277. A shooter with a 6.5-06 would have whipped all your .30-06 shooters quite handily. That's just the way the game works.

Nonetheless, between 500 and 550y is generally the practical limit to guarantee a first round hit in unknown wind in field conditions regardless of equipment. Sleek bullets and lots of powder only overcome the wind to a degree.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In an article in the current issue of "American Rifleman," Craig Boddington states that, "In my opinion these three similar 6.5mms (6.5x55, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor), despite the magical properties currently attributed to them, do not equal the 96-year-old .270 Winchester as a hunting cartridge."

He then goes on to describe why in four pages. It's a good read.

I have 4 270's at the moment and love them all. my 6.5 creed however, is the most comfortable and accurate rifle I have ever owned, right out of the box. and I am pretty sure with todays bullets will handle anything I am going to hunt in my advanced years, so enjoy them both, can't go wrong

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hell, I even have issues with dials on scopes! I've been hunting a while, taken a fair number of animals at ranges from 375 yards down to "at my shoelaces" and all i ever do is "hold on hair" be mindful of wind drift & cartridge limitations and pull the trigger. The 270 fits that bill rather nicely and for that matter so do a whole lot of other cartridges that have been around forever. Besides, "Creedmoor" sounds kindafaggoty... smile

Amen.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hell, I even have issues with dials on scopes! I've been hunting a while, taken a fair number of animals at ranges from 375 yards down to "at my shoelaces" and all i ever do is "hold on hair" be mindful of wind drift & cartridge limitations and pull the trigger. The 270 fits that bill rather nicely and for that matter so do a whole lot of other cartridges that have been around forever. Besides, "Creedmoor" sounds kindafaggoty... smile

Amen.
Originally Posted by mathman
In my view the 6.5 Creedmoor has many charms quite applicable to the occasional shooter who shoots his deer inside 200 yards.

Yeah, like a 243 varmint gun loaded with noslers in deer season, huh?

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SU35
This is my reality with my rifles, there is no killing difference between the two.

.277/150 ABLR/546 bc/3000 mv ..... MOA 11.3 @ 600 yds 26.5 @ 1000 yds

6.5/147ELD/697 bc/2,800 mv ....... MOA 12.2 @ 600 yds 27.1 @ 1000 yds

The 6.5 using 14 grains less powder.

I'll take the 6.5 creedmoor based on those numbers. I've tried to like the 270, but ended up selling the 3 I had. The creed just makes more sense..

This thread is about the 270 and before you know it the 6.5 Creed becomes the topic of discussion. If you mention anything critical of the 6.5 Creedmoor in any 6.5 discussion, you are some sort of malcontent.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has its followers and I am happy for them, but I guarantee anyone hunting the rest of their life with the 6.5 won’t kill as much game with that cartridge as I have without it...

Ha. For sure.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SU35
This is my reality with my rifles, there is no killing difference between the two.

.277/150 ABLR/546 bc/3000 mv ..... MOA 11.3 @ 600 yds 26.5 @ 1000 yds

6.5/147ELD/697 bc/2,800 mv ....... MOA 12.2 @ 600 yds 27.1 @ 1000 yds

The 6.5 using 14 grains less powder.

I'll take the 6.5 creedmoor based on those numbers. I've tried to like the 270, but ended up selling the 3 I had. The creed just makes more sense..

This thread is about the 270 and before you know it the 6.5 Creed becomes the topic of discussion. If you mention anything critical of the 6.5 Creedmoor in any 6.5 discussion, you are some sort of malcontent.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has its followers and I am happy for them, but I guarantee anyone hunting the rest of their life with the 6.5 won’t kill as much game with that cartridge as I have without it...

Ha. For sure.
Originally Posted by Switch
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kid0917,

Apparently you missed the introduction of the B-29 cartridge about 20 years ago, which proved to be the best general-purpose big game round ever.

smile Man, I need to get out more!

You sure do.

JB should have given the B-29 more media exposure; it's the ultimate big game round. My 1,200 + yard one-shot kill in a gusting 90 m.p.h crosswind on a 7X7 bull elk would never have happened with any other round, not even a 50cal.

Today I gave my close second to the B-29 to my stepson, a sweet 1980s Mdl 70 FW XTR 270. In all seriousness I loved the rifle, but I'll never hunt with it again, and he will join his son, Owen, in the 270 fraternity. Owen got my Husqvarna/FN 270 a few years ago and it's claimed three mulies and an antelope.

I can't think of a better round than the 270 for hunting our game under our conditions here in Nevada.

I whole heartily agree!

That makes 3.

I Dindo Nuffin
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
It’s the people

GOD Bless America
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't seen a post here that would convince me to go to the Creedmoor. A fast twist .270 with a vld bullet would improve long range shooting' -I could care less.
I would rather practice positional shooting any day at 100 yards . This prepares me for hunting .
A far flung thunk at 800 yards on a metal plate seems so uninteresting but a least the plate won't run off a die in the valley bottem- unfound.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm a 30-06 slut, but also consider the 308 and 270 to be in the exact same ballpark.
Two of the finest (and most successful) hunters I've ever known used 270's - my uncle, and a neighbor, who was a retired "Government Trapper", in the olden days.
Vic used his old 270 up until just a year before his death on everything - coyotes, cougar, deer, antelope, bear, elk - whatever! He used it 'til it had NO bluing, and the stock resembled an OLD cedar fence post. But he brought home an elk damn near every year. Probably since the late '40's!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Creedmoor's (LONG range only) ability to ALMOST do as much is pure and simple..................BULLET ballistic coefficient. Period

Compare apples to apples with bullets of similar/same BC and it will be slower, lighter and have less of literally everything than rounds of greater capacity and especially less than those also having a larger bore (no matter how small).
It's pure and simple physics. Numbers dont lie (but load data sure as hell does).

Everyone now thinks they are Andy Oakley and 5-6-7 hundred yards is "sensible" range..........*snort*.......and yes I can shoot that far.............on targets, and shoot well. At wild game...........NOT IN YOUR LIFETIME would I dream of it.

It's people falling for advertising hype from manufactures of literally everything.
They cannot sell you hunting ability..........but they can CONVINCE you that you can buy things so you don't have to learn what hunters have learned and used for eons.

Think they wont be coming up with HIGH BC bullets for them all in time? Sure they will.

It's all in what creates profit.

Under 350....maybe even 300 yards, the Creedmoor has ONLY the advantage over SOME of having less recoil........period. (It seems the hunter of today sure is tender.....??)

We already had several rounds that do that.........and have better NORMAL range ballistics.

But.........go for it. Fall for the hype. For normal and average hunting conditions it will always be "fast.flat and hard" that prevails.
The 6.5s are standing on the pretense of the high BC >>>bullets<<<< being superior.........not the cartridges.

What will happen when the high BC bullets come out in bigger bore rounds? Yep...........NEW HYPE.

More freezers are filled with game shot at MUCH shorter ranges than the CM has any bragging rights within. That won't change. Does the CM "work" at short range? Yep. Better than any others......NOPE.

The CM was designed for and excels at .........long range TARGET situations where lots of caps are busted. A superior hunting round does not automatically follow. To 300 yards with the same bullet, FEW could tell the difference out to 300 yards between the CM, 243 and 6mm Rem.

And none of the animals could.

2 cents (Hey......It's YOUR money. Blow it as you wish.)

and no......I'm not going to debate this. The laws of physics are carved in granite and not debatable.
God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 04/29/19.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have yet to see an advertisement telling me that if I get a 6.5 Creedmoor I’m a great long range Hunter. Where is this marketing hype I keep reading about?

The reason nobody compares inside 300yds, give or take, is that there are probably 50 cartridges that all work equally well. Dead is dead.

If Boddington and anyone else likes the .270, great, go forth and hunt. Ones particular vibe towards a cartridge is really what this is all about. Family history, what writers in the past have written about a cartridge, or whatever else gives you the feeling that a particular cartridge is just right is as good as any reason to choose any one cartridge from a long list of capable cartridges.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
The reason nobody compares inside 300yds, give or take, is that there are probably 50 cartridges that all work equally well. Dead is dead.

True. For every head of game that's taken at long range.....and for the sake of argument I'll use the 300 yard mark.....there are many, many more taken at ranges of less. I'd even go out on a limb and say that for every deer shot at 300 yards or more, there are a 100, and maybe more, shot at less than that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Meanwhile the 6.5mms carry on as the superior big game rifles.

((chortle))

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks to the miracles of twist rate and resulting bullet supply, 6.5CM stomps factory .270 for larger game and longer range despite a smaller case. .

This coming from a guy who says 100 % of 600 yard shots are "unethical," along with other nonsense. Quite the skill to be able to talk out of both sides of your mouth at once:

Nice try though - long range hunting is the land of excuses to cover for unethical behavior laugh

And unless the animal is asleep, there's ALWAYS a chance it moves. And I've yet to encounter an "long range hunter" that restricted themselves to shooting bedded animals, so don't even try that nonsense.

You're as FOS as a Christmas turkey.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Steve, I like ALL of this post ! I tried to emphasize the parts that really resonate with me.

Originally Posted by Steve692
The Creedmoor's (LONG range only) ability to ALMOST do as much is pure and simple..................BULLET ballistic coefficient.

Compare apples to apples with bullets of similar/same BC and it will be slower, lighter and have less of literally everything than rounds of greater capacity and especially less than those also having a larger bore (no matter how small).

It's pure and simple physics. Numbers dont lie (but load data sure as hell does). >*>*>*

!_!_!_!_!_!_!_! (It seems the hunter of today sure is tender.....??) >!>!>!>!>

For normal and average hunting conditions it will always be "fast.flat and hard" that prevails

The 6.5s are standing on the pretense of the high BC >>>bullets<<<< being superior.........not the cartridges.
Steve

hummm, Fast, Flat, & Hard >> where have I heard that ? confused > laugh laugh

I'd like to point this out ! I've read & HEARD what some of us 'older' guys have said, With age and or physical injuries SHOULDERS can't tolerate recoil as they did. I HEAR THAT !! It is understandable.

For others ? ? ? waa cry waa cry waa cry

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Due to a large bore diameter I have a very low ballistic coefficient but my wife thinks penetration is just fine.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Originally Posted by mathman
In my view the 6.5 Creedmoor has many charms quite applicable to the occasional shooter who shoots his deer inside 200 yards.

Yeah, like a 243 varmint gun loaded with noslers in deer season, huh?

A 243 loaded with 95 grain Ballistic Tips is a deer slayer, a fair bit more than a varmint gun.

Have you seen how a 260 Remington loaded with 129 grain Interlocks or 125 grain Partitions handles deer? If so I doubt you'd have much negative to say about the ballistic twin 6.5 Creedmoor.

Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 204guy, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,549
Posts18,531,457
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.