Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I think I heard somewhere the .270 is gay ? Anyway, it's about the only remotely popular centerfire cartridge between .22 and .30 that I've never owned and I haven't missed it a bit.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by smokepole

BC?? I thought it was all about SD??

Depends on whose wife you ask.

Smokey. I don’t think H n S is talking ‘bullets’ grin

Jerry

What else would he be talking about?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Isn't that ED or am I mistaken? whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
True, very few wives could answer that question correctly. But I do know a few who could pick up a Creedmoor, a .270 WCF, a .243, or a .338 and just go kill big game with it.

They woudln't even know the correct SD of the bullet they were using, dumb broads.

But some would know BC when they saw it. Others wouldn't.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Jerry

Since I was replying to Lama Bob, dick size fit into the discussion well.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Jerry

DUH !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Jerry

Since I was replying to Lama Bob, dick size fit into the discussion well.

What does his wife say?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer:
Good evening to you sir, I hope that this finds you and Eileen well and keeping warm enough - if you've been getting the cool nights we've been getting as of late.

While I'm not able to read the article in question at present, I did break somewhat with 'Fire tradition and read the entire thread.

After reading it, I recalled a somewhat similar discussion we had here a few years back when I'd asked about tissue damage differences between the .270 and 6.5x55.

Here's a link to anyone interested in the exchanges back then, or just a walk down memory lane at the 'Fire with some members no longer with us involved.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9248055/1

Anyway after that thread I did unscrew the unusually slow twist .270 barrel and had a smith up the valley make up an adapter so a nearly new '96 barrel could be installed on the commercial between the wars Mauser 98 action. As I recall I was going to make it into a 6.5CM, but components were scarce on this side of the medicine line then, though that's absolutely changed now.

Since we've had a few really tough winters in a row up here, both the whitetail and mulie populations have plummeted, so we've been getting less bullet testing in than we'd like, but come this fall our eldest daughter and I will be up in the hills doing our best to rectify that. grin

Thanks once again for sharing your considerable and varied knowledge with us John, I very much appreciate and enjoy it.

All the best to you and Eileen as we head into summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good morning, Dwayne! Yeah, we've been getting the same cool nights, and even days. Yesterday it even snowed again--but just a little, not enough to stick.

Its interesting to go back and read that thread from five years ago. The one thing that I still bring up when talking rifling twist and tissue damage was the way the same 55-grain Tipped Varmageddon bullet lifted and separated prairie dogs when fired at 3100 fps from a 1-8 twist .223, and definitely did NOT do the same sort of damage when started at 3800 fps from a 1-14 twist .220 Swift. Unlike most big game hunting, where tissue damage is often an "example of one," without much real analyzing of bullet placement, that PD "test" involved hundreds of examples within a couple of days.

The other thing I'll note is that Eileen and I have pretty much switched to monolithics for pronghorn hunting. The meat is so good, but the animals are relatively small, with 40 pounds of boned meat about average from mature bucks, that we want to lose as little as possible, especially when bullets infringe on the shoulder area--as they sometimes do because of a little wind-drift. And we also don't care if a pronghorn runs 50+ yards after a monolithic lung shot, since they live out on the wide-open prairie.

Interesting to hear the 6.5 Creedmoor has apparently invaded BC as well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
comerade,

The difference between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the WSM's 20 years ago is there was at first a MAJOR boom in WSM sales, especially the .300 WSM. In fact the first year the .300 WSM appeared I went on an industry hunt with the round (as did almost every gun writer in the business) and came home with a partial box of ammo. One of my local acquaintances heard I'd actually shot a .300 WSM, and not just at targets but GAME, so stopped by. He was so enthralled I volunteered to give him a round. He actually had to lean against a wall after I placed it in his hand.

But five years later the trend was on a downhill slide. While the .300 WSM is still a common factory chambering, the other SFBM (short-fat-beltless-magnum) rounds have diminished considerably in popularity.

In contrast, the 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced in 2007 without much publicity, because it was designed as a target round. Three years later enough hunters had tried it to discover it worked very well. So had similar 6.5 rounds for a long time, but the major difference was the 6.5 Creemdoor did it in affordable accurate rifles, with affordable accurate ammo.

Unlike the WSM's, sales of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo and rifles have continued to INCREASE over the dozen years since it was introduced. More and more rifle companies continue to chamber it, and more and more ammo companies continue to produce both target and hunting ammo. The only other cartridge that had such sustained staying power since I started hunting was the 7mm Remington Magnum.

If you think the 6.5 Creedmoor is a "fad" similar to the WSM/SAUM/RCM magnums, the sales trends do not support your guess.

Myself, I am happy you review these things with objectivity, John.
I don't really believe the 6.5 C.M. is a fad. I do think we will see so many new developments , to keep the industry going forward.
I don't have a need for one of these, or any of the short / fats or long range shooting .
Bullet development is so interesting these days and appears to me that it is changing the rules , little guns do big things these days.
Cheers

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

What does his wife say?

I am only speculating, but I am guessiing she agrees that Bob is a Substantial Dick (SD).

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

There isn't any dangerous game in most of North America, so bumping into old griz isn't a consideration for most American and Canadian hunters.

Exactly. It's about 600 miles from where I typically hunt to the nearest grizzly as the crow flies. If I was somewhere I needed a grizzly stopper and still wanted some long range big game performance from the same load I'd use the 8mm WSM with 220gr. Weldcores (it was born for that application). If I was just worried about stopping a grizzly and not hunting a deer species at the same time, I'd take the .50-110 or .416.

The 6.5mms and to a lesser extent the .270s are suitable for elk sized game. The 6.5s do it far better, but then we knew that.

You're high. I should just stop there, but before I do, I'll point out that a 8mm 220 Weldcore has a BC of .355. Now, that would be great for "long range big game performance" if that was a G7 BC, but it isn't; it is a G1 BC.

You're telling me I'm "high" yet you're too stupid to read a bullet catalog? There are two 220gr 8mm Weldcores. The one for the 325WSM has a BC of .448 and is suitable out to about 500y which is a reasonable compromise for a bear stomper bullet.

Seriously, you're a blithering retard.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/01/19.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

There isn't any dangerous game in most of North America, so bumping into old griz isn't a consideration for most American and Canadian hunters.

Exactly. It's about 600 miles from where I typically hunt to the nearest grizzly as the crow flies. If I was somewhere I needed a grizzly stopper and still wanted some long range big game performance from the same load I'd use the 8mm WSM with 220gr. Weldcores (it was born for that application). If I was just worried about stopping a grizzly and not hunting a deer species at the same time, I'd take the .50-110 or .416.

The 6.5mms and to a lesser extent the .270s are suitable for elk sized game. The 6.5s do it far better, but then we knew that.

You're high. I should just stop there, but before I do, I'll point out that a 8mm 220 Weldcore has a BC of .355. Now, that would be great for "long range big game performance" if that was a G7 BC, but it isn't; it is a G1 BC.

You're telling me I'm "high" yet you're too stupid to read a bullet catalog? There are two 220gr 8mm Weldcores. The one for the 325WSM has a BC of .448 and is suitable out to about 500y which is a reasonable compromise for a bear stomper bullet.

Seriously, you're a blithering retard.

If I can't buy it, it doesn't exist, Bob. You can quote whatever catalogue you masturbate to if you want to. Since it is not for sale, nor on their website...well, enjoy stroking it. And when you're done, perhaps answer my questions. After washing your hands.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Are you really so [bleep] stupid you can't search for a bullet and figure out where to buy it? Seriously? God damn you are actually, no joke, for real retarded.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...grain-weldcore-protected-point-box-of-50

I literally have never met anyone as stupid as you that used a computer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If I can't buy it, it doesn't exist, Bob. You can quote whatever catalogue you masturbate to if you want to. Since it is not for sale, nor on their website...well, enjoy stroking it. And when you're done, perhaps answer my questions. After washing your hands.

It's not on their website? Try this link:

http://woodleighbullets.com.au/bullet-lists/traditional/264-333-list

Bullet catalog number 64G.

Catalog:
http://woodleighbullets.com.au/images/downloads/woodleigh_bullets_2019_catalogue.pdf

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are you really so [bleep] stupid you can't search for a bullet and figure out where to buy it? Seriously? God damn you are actually, no joke, for real retarded.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...grain-weldcore-protected-point-box-of-50

I literally have never met anyone as stupid as you that used a computer.

Still haven't answered my questions, Bob. But I appreciate you brushing up on your abusive behavior while your wife stays with her sister. Can't have you getting rusty. Your son finally come out of the closet? Just another question for you to answer. I can send you my address if you feel the need to beat on someone while the wife is away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote]
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Sakos are great guns.

As a result of reading this thread, I think I'm gonna get a single shot 6.5 Grendel. It's the one in the middle. The cartridge, not the rifle!

laugh laugh laugh

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Are you really so [bleep] stupid you can't search for a bullet and figure out where to buy it? Seriously? God damn you are actually, no joke, for real retarded. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...rain-weldcore-protected-point-box-of-50I literally have never met anyone as stupid as you that used a computer.
I am curious, why are you so mad and impolite? You could give advice to your friends on a social forum without being nasty. Praying that you get relief from whatever is really bothering you.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ya know folks.....Boddington didn't actually say anything that warrants 34 pages of comments about the 270

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hastings
Are you really so [bleep] stupid you can't search for a bullet and figure out where to buy it? Seriously? God damn you are actually, no joke, for real retarded. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...rain-weldcore-protected-point-box-of-50I literally have never met anyone as stupid as you that used a computer.
I am curious, why are you so mad and impolite? You could give advice to your friends on a social forum without being nasty. Praying that you get relief from whatever is really bothering you.

I'm perfectly polite up until people start insulting me, and even then I'm only rude to those who do. But I have no interest in being nice to some mental deficient who's too stupid to read a bullet catalog, and to impolite to defer to those around him who are smart enough. Life is supposed to be tough for people like that.

Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,564
Posts18,531,693
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.