las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Wow.... Hopefully it gets "good" again, I'd like to hit it once or twice...

I thought you hated AK and everyone who lives up here?

I'd like a big king, the weather sucks generally, and it appears from the last time I was up there, "in 91" , most Alaskans still think they're bad men..... Though my taste of Alaska was pow which is mostly druggies and tramps....

What in the hell were you doing down in the mtn view neighborhood?

Trying to find Spenard? smile

Last edited by las; 05/01/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Alaska Sports Hall of Fame
LES ANDERSON’S WORLD RECORD KING SALMON

The Biggest Fish Story
The fish of everyone’s dreams was caught by Soldotna auto dealer Les Anderson early on the morning of May 17, 1985, much to his own shock. Anderson and partner Bud Lofstedt were fishing for early-season king salmon on the Kenai River, the world-famous Alaska salmon stream, when Anderson hooked up for the fight of his life.

Anderson, 68 at the time, was using a spin-n-glo and salmon eggs, and the powerful chinook the bait attracted had the muscle to pull Anderson around in his little boat. Three times Anderson reeled the fish up to the side of the craft, but it was too large to haul in. Finally Anderson subdued it by leading it to land.

Once Anderson and Lofstedt gazed upon the full size of the monster lifted from the water, they realized it was imperative that it be weighed as soon as possible before it dried out and too much poundage was lost. Big fish, they thought. But they didn’t know if it was the biggest king of all. They rushed it to a scale in town where onlookers who had heard tell of a giant catch were already gathered. Anderson’s king salmon weighed in at 97 pounds, four ounces — a rod-and-reel world record that still stands.

For the rest of Anderson’s life — he died in 2003 — he was introduced to people as “the man who caught the world-record salmon.” Sometimes, for short, Anderson’s memorable catch was referred to as “the big fish,” with everyone knowing which fish was being talked about.

Today, the mount of Anderson’s record catch is on display at the Soldotna Visitors Association building.

– Lew Freedman

http://alaskasportshall.org/inductee/les-andersons-king-salmon/

That's a bit different than the story I've heard. I'd heard he drove the fish around in his truck for a few hours before someone convinced him to go get it weighed on a certified scale.
But it's still a hell of a fish, especially for a May fish.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad and I fished the Kenai twice with a guide back in 2003 and 2005. Early June....First day on the water on our first trip in '03, first bite of the day... my dad reels in a 48" monster. estimated to be 65-70# by the guide. It was catch and release for the big kings that year, so he went back in the water. We caught a lot of fish that week, tossing 40#-ers back to keep fishing all day (our guide knew he was out all day with us in the boat).

Tons of fun, was just thinking I want to go back. For kings and halibut. I caught a salmon shark the one day halibut fishing, probably 15-20' long. That was hard on the back laugh

Lots of great memories from those trips!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CJC73
My dad and I fished the Kenai twice with a guide back in 2003 and 2005. Early June....First day on the water on our first trip in '03, first bite of the day... my dad reels in a 48" monster. estimated to be 65-70# by the guide. It was catch and release for the big kings that year, so he went back in the water. We caught a lot of fish that week, tossing 40#-ers back to keep fishing all day (our guide knew he was out all day with us in the boat).

Tons of fun, was just thinking I want to go back. For kings and halibut. I caught a salmon shark the one day halibut fishing, probably 15-20' long. That was hard on the back laugh

Not sure what kind of shark you caught, but the shark was not a salmon shark at that length. Longest salmon shark in the literature was 10' by a researcher, Hall, in 1973. I have seen many pictures of sharks called salmon sharks from AK up to 14'. When experts look at sharks that length they say they are other species. There are several they can be confused with. And that is not by way of taking anything away from your shark...

Sleeper sharks are hard to confuse with salmon sharks, but they are the most common big sharks caught on rod and reel and confused, though there is no excuse for that.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The Biggest Fish Story
The fish of everyone’s dreams was caught by Soldotna auto dealer Les Anderson early on the morning of May 17, 1985, much to his own shock. Anderson and partner Bud Lofstedt were fishing for early-season king salmon on the Kenai River, the world-famous Alaska salmon stream, when Anderson hooked up for the fight of his life.

Anderson, 68 at the time, was using a spin-n-glo and salmon eggs, and the powerful chinook the bait attracted had the muscle to pull Anderson around in his little boat. Three times Anderson reeled the fish up to the side of the craft, but it was too large to haul in. Finally Anderson subdued it by leading it to land.

Once Anderson and Lofstedt gazed upon the full size of the monster lifted from the water, they realized it was imperative that it be weighed as soon as possible before it dried out and too much poundage was lost. Big fish, they thought. But they didn’t know if it was the biggest king of all. They rushed it to a scale in town where onlookers who had heard tell of a giant catch were already gathered. Anderson’s king salmon weighed in at 97 pounds, four ounces — a rod-and-reel world record that still stands.

For the rest of Anderson’s life — he died in 2003 — he was introduced to people as “the man who caught the world-record salmon.” Sometimes, for short, Anderson’s memorable catch was referred to as “the big fish,” with everyone knowing which fish was being talked about.

Today, the mount of Anderson’s record catch is on display at the Soldotna Visitors Association building.

– Lew Freedman

That's a bit different than the story I've heard. I'd heard he drove the fish around in his truck for a few hours before someone convinced him to go get it weighed on a certified scale.

The other version is the one I heard mostly...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

The Biggest Fish Story

– Lew Freedman

Thats the way I heard it too Steve. That he knew it was big, but unaware (obviously) it was a WR. Certainly lost some H2O weight.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just heard today the Columbia River summer Chinook season will not happen.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
At the time of the catch, Les owned "Les's Y Chevron." His fish did indeed ride around in the back of his truck (under a slightly damp gunny sack not sized to match the length of the fish) for at least 5 hours. I had driven over to his store and found several old cronies talking about the fish and there was no talk of a world record. Taxidermy was on their mind and several possible names of same were being light-heartedly "argued" about. I believe it was a local pharmacist (Mr. Earl Mundell) that convinced Les to have it weighed. Seems Earl had a certified scale that would do the job. I do not know if they took it to Earl's place or not. I do know there was a group of codgers placing side bets on the Chinook's weight. Most were in the 70 pound range. I can only imagine the shock on all of their faces when it hit the bottom side of the 100 pound scale! I was pissed that I had to head to work as it certainly was gonna go as high as 85 pounds😉

Les was a quiet talking fella and a gentleman of the first order. He was a hometown baseball fan and that's where I met him in 1967. Next door to his service station was the MJB drive inn. Les had sponsored a milkshake for any little leaguer that hit a homer. Had a fortunate (lucky) game and hit three. Les came over and introduced himself and shook my hand. Took an immediate liking to this fella. He never once said anything about the sponsorship and yours truly did not find out about it for 2 more years.

Les enjoyed fishing for Kings but's his biggest piscatorial enjoyment came from catching Cohos. We fished them together three or four times in the years prior to the big fish. The twinkle in his eye gave away his excitement each time he got a bite. Les would make the funniest laugh when one took out line or jumped! For the most part of my memory I do not recall ever seeing anything but a smile on Les' face. That's how I will always remember him. The hat on his head in the above picture went wherever he went. If it could only talk about all the adventures it had seen...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Was wondering if you were in-residdnce at that time, Mark.

Thanks for the addition and recollection.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Just heard today the Columbia River summer Chinook season will not happen.

Ya appears most rivers on here he west coast are fuucked this year.... only bright side is coho..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by CJC73

Not sure what kind of shark you caught, but the shark was not a salmon shark at that length. Longest salmon shark in the literature was 10' by a researcher, Hall, in 1973. I have seen many pictures of sharks called salmon sharks from AK up to 14'. When experts look at sharks that length they say they are other species. There are several they can be confused with. And that is not by way of taking anything away from your shark...

Sleeper sharks are hard to confuse with salmon sharks, but they are the most common big sharks caught on rod and reel and confused, though there is no excuse for that.

My apologizes, I mixed them up. Yes it was a sleeper. No excuses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"I'd like a big king, the weather sucks generally, and it appears from the last time I was up there, "in 91" , most Alaskans still think they're bad men..... Though my taste of Alaska was pow which is mostly druggies and tramps...."

So a visit to POW 28 years ago, and you know how "most Alaskans" are..............do us a huge favor, and go to Chile to catch your king.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by akjeff

"I'd like a big king, the weather sucks generally, and it appears from the last time I was up there, "in 91" , most Alaskans still think they're bad men..... Though my taste of Alaska was pow which is mostly druggies and tramps...."

So a visit to POW 28 years ago, and you know how "most Alaskans" are..............do us a huge favor, and go to Chile to catch your king.

LOL!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
LOL!!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wanna go to Chile!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow.... Hopefully it gets "good" again, I'd like to hit it once or twice...

I thought you hated AK and everyone who lives up here?

I'd like a big king, the weather sucks generally, and it appears from the last time I was up there, "in 91" , most Alaskans still think they're bad men..... Though my taste of Alaska was pow which is mostly druggies and tramps....

With such a wide depth and breadth of knowledge regarding the small and biologically homogeneous state of Alaska I’d say you should get a job at Frommers or Milepost. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Why thank you ace...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akjeff

Hey he was like 15-16 yrs old.. he didn't knows any better..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
16 and "knows" enough to "knows" it was a [bleep], hell it's so great it's consistently 1st or 2nd for the most suicides in the nation!!!!! Great fuucking place!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 41 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,109
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.