Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

Anybody have any experience with one? I'd be very interested in your impressions. I'm looking to go a bit lighter than my M70 Featherweights and stay with blued steel and walnut. At 6.6 lbs in 7-08, this might be what I'm looking for. Most reviews on dealer sights have been positive, but some have not been so warm and fuzzy. Would like to hear from some members of The Fire who have first hand experience. Mostly interested in fit and finish, quality of build, your impressions of the trigger and if their accuracy claims are valid, or just sales hype. Thanks, Tim

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the Ridge. Pretty decent trigger. Shoots like gang busters.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you have an M70, why not put a McM Edge on it. Mine weighs just over 7.2 lb

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
See the part in the OP where it says I want to stay with blued steel and walnut. Synthetic stocks on rifles appeal to me even less than women with synthetic tits.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 04/26/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the Timber. Very well made and very accurate but just too chunky and heavy for me.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by moosemike
I had the Timber. Very well made and very accurate but just too chunky and heavy for me.

Yeah, that was my impression from photos. The Woodsman looks a lot trimmer and is catalogued at 6.6 lbs. in 7-08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in 308. Shoots very well with almost anything. Wood on mine is gorgeous , fit and finish are excellent. The grip is just a little chunky but really a great gun for the money.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A guy at work has one, he brags on it.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I started giving the Kimber Classic Select a good hard look. I kept waffling back and forth. I just saw that Buds has the Woodsman for $699 while they're selling all other calibers for $849. I took that as an omen and jumped in. Now I'm just hoping my luck holds out with the wood lottery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's mine, shoots as good as it looks (wood looks even better in person). It's a 6.5CM and 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 100 yards are so common they are becoming expected. The 1 MOA guarantee is easy with about anything. Quality, fit and finish are very nice. Stock is pillar bedded and floated. My only gripe (minor gripe) is that the trigger has a bit of creep and they plugged the travel screw hole. That scope is now a NF SHV 3-10x40 - I think highly enough of this rifle to put the nicest scope I have ever owned on it. I've only had it a couple weeks so I have not really had a chance to work on loads yet - although I think I'm pretty close. Would really like a nice windless day to see what it is really capable of.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 05/01/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

centershot, nice piece of wood on yours. If mine looks and shots that good, I'll be ecstatic. If I can't have both, I'll settle for the accuracy. That NF is a great scope but weighs over 20 oz. I'll be putting a 12 oz VX3i 3.5-10x40 on mine. What mounts and rings are you using? Looks like Talley bases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talley rings/bases. Yes it's a heavy scope but a very nice one. I tried the lightweight route with a Kimber Hunter and Leupold and while it was light and accurate it took effort to shoot well consistently. This Bergara is easy to shoot well and still is only ~8 1/2#. I need to get some better pics of the wood, it really is nice for a modern production rifle. I may order a Timney trigger for it, then it should be perfect for my needs.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The trigger on mine is my favorite part, very crisp and set light from the factory

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 05/02/19.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Was that stock luck of the draw on an internet purchase, or were you able to cherry pick at a local gun store? Wish I had a local store that carried Bergara so I could pick from a few.

You might want to consider a Jewel trigger also. I have no personal experience with Timney triggers, but have seen some mixed reviews. Both my Jewels are sweet as Tupelo honey. Just my .02.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/02/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was on the rack at a local store - I was originally looking at the Hunter model with the green stock, then I saw this one. Guy at the store said I'll go back and look for another in the box - I said "just get the box for this one"! It came home with me right then. I have yet to see another that was even close. Most have been very plain, but most of the wood stocks I have seen were on the Timber model. - hopefully you will get lucky. Here is a little better pic of mine.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 05/02/19.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've sold a couple B-14s, and I'm extremely impressed with them. I asked my customers to give me their impressions with their performance in the field. Both said they were well balanced and very accurate. Loved the trigger.

Kelly
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to send Bergara an email about the trigger and see what they say. It's not terrible but it's not terrific either.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
I'm going to send Bergara an email about the trigger and see what they say. It's not terrible but it's not terrific either.

That surprises me. It feels great to me. No take up, no over travel. Breaks crisp and clean at about 2.5lbs out of the box.

Kelly

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.