Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tomt53
I have a pound of unopened RL 26, I don't dare use it for fear of never finding it again!!!!

Just genuflect your loaded rounds in front of the R26 canister and they will have increased mojo.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
H1000 works just as well.....

that being said... I have like 10 to 12 pounds of it...

one 8 lb keg and then singles...

picked it all up when it was being sold for like $22 a pound at Sportsman's Warehouse...
the 8 pounder was like $125 or so....

stocked up mainly due to the price....

this was after sending 3 pounds of it to one of my campfire buddies...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience with RL-26 is the same as Jordan's: Very consistent velocities, accuracy and POI in a wide range of temperatures, from below zero Fahrenheit to above 90.

Am also a great admirer (and user) of H1000, again because of actually testing it in a wide range of field conditions for accuracy and veloicity.
But 26 can get a little more zip out of certain cartridge/bullet combinations, due to being double-based.

Like Jordan, I tend to pick powders by actually testing them in rifles at various temperatures, instead of guessing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Like Jordan, I tend to pick powders by actually testing them in rifles at various temperatures, instead of guessing.

Well, if you remove all conjecture & subjectivity, what’s left to dicker over?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Good point, haa

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My experience with RL-26 is the same as Jordan's: Very consistent velocities, accuracy and POI in a wide range of temperatures, from below zero Fahrenheit to above 90.

I think what some or most of what I was seeing at 90 plus degrees is that I had a too hot load to begin with. They ejected fine only had slightly flattened primers (yes voodoo) it is just the velocity I was getting was in the Bob Hagel range for the 6.6x55.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Where do you get "super unstable with temp" for '26. I've read it wasn't the best, nor the worst, overall not that bad.

DF

It's right in line with most double base non-stabilized powders. Depending on the application it generally clocks in at over 2 ft/s per degree of instability which is enough to take a load outside of a velocity node with only a 10-20 degree variation from the temperature it was developed at.

Well designed temp stabilized powders like the Alliant RL16/23/ARCOMP series or the more recent Hodgdon Extreme powders can stay on the same velocity node over a 100+ degree swing.

Am also a great admirer (and user) of H1000, again because of actually testing it in a wide range of field conditions for accuracy and veloicity.
But 26 can get a little more zip out of certain cartridge/bullet combinations, due to being double-based.

What a surprise.......Llama Bob has no clue what he's talking about, once again.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Where do you get "super unstable with temp" for '26. I've read it wasn't the best, nor the worst, overall not that bad.

DF

It's right in line with most double base non-stabilized powders. Depending on the application it generally clocks in at over 2 ft/s per degree of instability which is enough to take a load outside of a velocity node with only a 10-20 degree variation from the temperature it was developed at.

Well designed temp stabilized powders like the Alliant RL16/23/ARCOMP series or the more recent Hodgdon Extreme powders can stay on the same velocity node over a 100+ degree swing.

What a surprise.......Llama Bob has no clue what he's talking about, once again.

You noticed... grin

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tejano,

I knew the editor of one of the magazines Bob Hagel wrote for regularly, and he said more than one of Hagel's rifles ended up with chamber expanded so much the barrels had to be replaced.... :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Tejano,

I knew the editor of one of the magazines Bob Hagel wrote for regularly, and he said more than one of Hagel's rifles ended up with chamber expanded so much the barrels had to be replaced.... :-)

Yeah, but look how much fun he had... grin

DF

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Guys Powder valley has reloader 26 in 1 pounders instock, 429 as of this post............good luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Guys Powder valley has reloader 26 in 1 pounders instock, 429 as of this post............good luck!

Thank You!

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
213 left

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Finally!!! Thanks guys!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Powder Valley website now shows "out of stock."

429 one-pound bottles sold in less than 24 hours. I wonder when more will be available.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1badf350, 32 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,981
Posts18,499,644
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.