Hop To
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by vapodog
ya know folks.....Boddington didn't actually say anything that warrants 34 pages of comments about the 270

True, as far as the .270 goes.

But then he had to go and bring up the dreaded Creedmoor.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Are you really so [bleep] stupid you can't search for a bullet and figure out where to buy it? Seriously? God damn you are actually, no joke, for real retarded. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/161505/woodleigh-b blushullets-325-winchester-short-magnum-wsm-323-diameter-220-grain-weldcore-protected-point-box-of-50I literally have never met anyone as stupid as you that used a computer.
I am curious, why are you so mad and impolite? You could give advice to your friends on a social forum without being nasty. Praying that you get relief from whatever is really bothering you.

Reminds me of what I heard a good surgeon needs. Graying temples to give him that look of wisdom, hemorrhoids to give him that "concerned" look...

Don't know if LB has graying temples, sorta suspicious about the other matter..... blush

Agree, hope he finds relief...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by vapodog
ya know folks.....Boddington didn't actually say anything that warrants 34 pages of comments about the 270

True, as far as the .270 goes.

But then he had to go and bring up the dreaded Creedmoor.......

Like the guy who accused his pastor. "Pastor", he said, "You quit preaching and went to meddlin.."

Boddington was preaching good, then he went to meddlin... blush

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The .270 came along when there wasn't much choice in hunting cartridges. O'Connor championed it because he hunted extensively with it and got good results. It generated lots of excitement then and it still does. It's a great cartridge. It is also a long action cartridge that still suffers from bullet choice but that doesn't matter too much to the game it kills.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great short action cartridge that does everything it's designed for and then some. It has a lot of choices in bullets and is every bit as controversial as the .270 was in 1930 and still is to this day. You can get a lot of different rifles chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor that are accurate from the factory and find ammo for it just about anywhere. It doesn't mean that it's the only hunting round that will kill game.

I read the article and it's pretty good actually. I don't envy the gun writers having to come up with a decent article that will please their readers on a regular basis. Any article is guaranteed to piss someone off. The big bore boys are still alive and well and the aficionados of each cartridge are going to fight to the death for their baby. I take it for what it is, a decent article on a fine hunting cartridge.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Rainshot, well said!

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
With a .270 and a .30/06 there's nothing you can't kill in NA. The .270 for game up to moose and the .30/06 for game up to and including the big bears.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/04/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
With a .270 and a .30/06 there's nothing you can't kill in NA. The .270 for game up to moose and the .30/06 for game up to and including the big bears.
You could just forget the .270 and do it all with the .30-06.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshot
The .270 came along when there wasn't much choice in hunting cartridges. O'Connor championed it because he hunted extensively with it and got good results. It generated lots of excitement then and it still does. It's a great cartridge. It is also a long action cartridge that still suffers from bullet choice but that doesn't matter too much to the game it kills.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great short action cartridge that does everything it's designed for and then some. It has a lot of choices in bullets and is every bit as controversial as the .270 was in 1930 and still is to this day. You can get a lot of different rifles chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor that are accurate from the factory and find ammo for it just about anywhere. It doesn't mean that it's the only hunting round that will kill game.

I read the article and it's pretty good actually. I don't envy the gun writers having to come up with a decent article that will please their readers on a regular basis. Any article is guaranteed to piss someone off. The big bore boys are still alive and well and the aficionados of each cartridge are going to fight to the death for their baby. I take it for what it is, a decent article on a fine hunting cartridge.

That hits the nail squarely.
Had this response been on page one, the thread wouldn't have multiple pages. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nah, the thread would still have been just as long. Many if not most Campfire members just reader the header before responding, bypassing even the original post. They would never have read rainshot's post, even if it had been on the first page!

In fact, some posters still apparently haven't read the original post. If they had, they'd quit bitching about why a thread "about the .270" has so much stuff about the 6.5 Creedmoor.

In many ways, the Campfire is perfect example of a pure democracy, where everybody gets a vote, even those who have very little idea of what the election's about....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You could just forget the .270 and do it all with the .30-06.

True.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

In many ways, the Campfire is perfect example of a pure democracy, where everybody gets a vote, even those who have very little idea of what the election's about....

grin grin
Truth.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was looking for a new "longer range rifle" about three months ago. Love the 6.5's, have had several. Looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor, PRC, and the 28 Nosler. Looked at ballistic charts, internet, till my mind melted. 6.5 Creed is a good one, but no better than several others. Unless one buys it all in a store. Found a Sako 85 in 270 for a very good price. Have everything to reload, brass, powders, and bullets. Son has one and I reload for him. Easy choice, not that much difference between any of them. New bullets and powder have helped the 270 as well. Perhaps an inch or two out to 300 yards difference. A Deer kill zone is about a dinner plate. If I can't hit that, it is my issue not the choice of round/caliber.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Nah, the thread would still have been just as long. Many if not most Campfire members just reader the header before responding, bypassing even the original post. They would never have read rainshot's post, even if it had been on the first page!

In fact, some posters still apparently haven't read the original post. If they had, they'd quit bitching about why a thread "about the .270" has so much stuff about the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Furthermore, I wonder how many have actually read Boddington's article.

Democracy? More like anarchy at times.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 340boy
If memory serves, Boddington became a believer after killing a large bull elk in New Mexico with the 270?

Yes you are correct. I'd say Boddington's conclusion pretty much parallels what Spomer wrote a few months ago. Personally my .270's have resulted in more notched tags than other cartridge. But the 6.5 CM is a welcome diversion to something else - life is short - burn powder and dent primers.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=bigwhoop life is short - burn powder and dent primers.
[/quote]

Best advice I've seen on the 'Fire today.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Funniest post of the entire thread had to be the one calling a the 243 a varmint rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It was the context, as if the 243 was only good for things no larger than varmints.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In an article in the current issue of "American Rifleman," Craig Boddington states that, "In my opinion these three similar 6.5mms (6.5x55, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor), despite the magical properties currently attributed to them, do not equal the 96-year-old .270 Winchester as a hunting cartridge."

He then goes on to describe why in four pages. It's a good read.

For years I have a lot of respect for Craig Boddington. After meeting him years later, and listening to some of his comments on various subjects, I came to the opinion that he full of himself. His writings and musings today are for one purpose and one purpose only - MONEY.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I only go to work cause I need money too. He writes great articles. He isn’t going to please everyone. Most subjects have been beat to cshit, the 270 has been written about dozens and dozens of times. He did a great job writing that article in my opinion.

Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 1234, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,557
Posts18,531,558
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.