Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went to pick up a rifle I had dropped off at a local shop for a cut crown, which they'e done for me in years past. This is what I find upon inspection.

[Linked Image]

There was a uniform ring, about 1/8" deep, all the way around the inside of the bore. Crud came out when I swapped it with a q-tip and the pic was taken after swabbing the loose crud. The ring was still rough to the cotton swap and pulled fibers. The guy at the counter said a machinist had done the crown, as the prior gunsmith was no longer at the store. The store owner said he and the machinist would take a look at it this week and call me. Aside from the crown issue, it looks like the bluing has been affected on the exterior. Not the sort of job I've gotten from this shop in the past. Ideas as to what is going on with the ring of crud there?

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Imbedded compound of some sort????
Galvanic reaction of some sort from a tool they used to center things up while cutting?
Chatter/ heat ring mark?

Tell em thanks for the hack job work
And fugging up your bluing also.

Find another person to do work for ya or find out where the prior guy
went.....

Fugg it.......

Fix it with a brass oval head chucked into a corded drill
With valve grinding compound and recess another smaller crown deep enough to do away with that ring.
The chucked brass bolt will center concentric to the bore while spinning automatically.
You will have to use 2 or 3 as they wear down fast.

I have done it on several rifles and posted pics up of it on here before.
Put a double up peice of 4 ot steel wool on top of a fresh oval brass bolt to polish the new crown
With a little point of the doubled up steel kinda into the bore about a 1/8 th inch
Spin the fugg outta it with light to medium pressure for about 10 to 15seconds
Check with cotton , repeat if needed.

It will pass a cotton test....

The new cut crown immediately around the bore itself might be at the most about 1/16 th to 3/16 th wide ring depending on depth ya gotta go to make that ring go away and expose pristine rifling.
Might be a 3 to 5 degree angle at most
Different bolts have different profiles

Google it up on you tube.
"Drill and bolt crown barrel job"

Dont be hesitant to do the job yourself!!!
You cant fugg it up
It is easy, but messy
Wear eyepro.
Plug your bore about a 1/2 inch below the muzzle.
Use plenty of valve lapping compound.

You can unfugg this your self and it will look professional
with professional results.

JMO......

Last edited by renegade50; 04/30/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
.........." The guy at the counter said a machinist had done the crown,......"
I'm calling BS.. No machinist would do that... I'm betting the store owner tried it with a hand tool, couldn't do the job, gave up and blamed it on this so-called machinist..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow just WOW. That was done by a Shoemaker, a term my Dad used when describing a botched job.

That said, I bet he trained under the guy that did my last crown job on a really nice 700 Mountain rifle mad

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You need to take that back to where it was done, asking here the answers will only be guesses at best. You are owed an explanation and a proper re-do at the very least.

Last edited by gunswizard; 04/30/19.
IC B2

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the insight, guys. I left the rifle at the shop and they are supposed to get back to me. I'm not paying for that cut/crown job, as it appears to be more of a hack job. The ring in the bore is not something I've seen before.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Send it to Redneck. He will fix it and do it right.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
You need to take that back to where it was done, asking here the answers will only be guesses at best. You are owed an explanation and a proper re-do at the very least.

Why allow an obvious hack the opportunity to really cluster things up? Cut losses and run...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JPro
Appreciate the insight, guys. I left the rifle at the shop and they are supposed to get back to me. I'm not paying for that cut/crown job, as it appears to be more of a hack job. The ring in the bore is not something I've seen before.

Paying for what has been done is nothing compared to what you may be paying for what WILL be done,,,

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Why allow an obvious hack the opportunity to really cluster things up? Cut losses and run...

This goes without saying

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

This...^ ^ ^

Only thing I can speculate, someone forced a brass plug into the bore to indicate the bore in concentric. He didn't even chamfer the edge. FŪCKIN HACK!

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Sent a rifle to a self-professed expert gunsmith from Texass, with a gunsmith certificate from Trinity State College...

Supposed to chamber and install 6.6x55 Douglas barrel.

Extracted first case looked like a stop sign - ridges longitudinally down side of case - I was naive, had no clue on Earth what in the heck could even cause that - until I sent the rifle to a REAL Gunsmith recommended by Sinclair when it was still Sinclair (Dan Dowling in Colorado) and he cut the CHATTERED chamber off and re-chambered and installed it - FOR FREE.

Rifle was beautiful after that.

When I told the Texass gunsmith what I learned, he called me a damned Yankee...

I only deal with REAL gunsmiths now - not blowhards.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Rust, from an attempt to cold blue the crown.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dakotagun
Rust, from an attempt to cold blue the crown.

Thats what I was thinking as well.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No matter the buildup of the crud at the ID end of the barrel, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT crappy tool work (as it appears to be in the picture) on the OD of tee barrel?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just another guess to add to the pile here- It almost looks like the "machinist" used a counterbore and that is the ring the pilot left in the bore . Also agree the bore is bad enough but that bullsh!t on the outer diameter of the muzzle looks like absolute hammered cr&p! I wouldn't even think about letting the same guy put his sticky fingers on it again....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sheister
Just another guess to add to the pile here- It almost looks like the "machinist" used a counterbore and that is the ring the pilot left in the bore . Also agree the bore is bad enough but that bullsh!t on the outer diameter of the muzzle looks like absolute hammered cr&p! I wouldn't even think about letting the same guy put his sticky fingers on it again....

I could see a pilot damaging the tops of the lands, appears the markings are at the root of the grooves. Most bores, that's .004" per side. That would been one hell of a press fit.

The cold blue is plausible, but damn the ring is awful concentric...

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They gave me a call and said they had it ready. I stopped by and it looks like night and day, like maybe two different people had worked on it. I'm wondering if one of the other employees tried to do the work the first time. There's always different counter guys there, so I have no idea. Told the fellow that waited on me that the first crown job looked like somebody was drunk. This is more in line with what I'd seen before at this store. Bluing was even, all the way around.

[Linked Image]

Passed the q-tip test with no fibers pulled from exiting the bore. We'll see how it shoots, and I'll likely use the other shop in town next time around.

Last edited by JPro; 05/03/19.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Looking at it with 4X magnifier, even from several hundred miles a way I can tell that looks like what I would expect, ID and OD.
I would love to know how they created the abomination they passed on to you the first time

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have seen quite a few crowns like that. Even have two of them myself. One on a rem 700 222,
and one on a FN commercial mauser barreled in 243. Both shoot quite good. Both 1/2 inch or sometimes
less with reloads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.