As Leroy, (RIP) would say: "Sure after they swim in the Crisco Lake"

Last edited by Torg; 05/10/19.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bluegill is great.

Always been pretty popular for eating but getting popular at bars around here recently and it blows the traditional cod fish fries away in my opinion.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bluegills, Crappies, Sunnies, great eating, among my favorites. Small ones are a pain to fillet however.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Bluegills, Crappies, Sunnies, great eating, among my favorites. Small ones are a pain to fillet however.

Cook the smaller ones whole.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Been catching a bunch of hand sized bluegill, but have never eaten them. Are they worth messing with or keep turning them loose?
Gut/clean/scale. Remove head. Oil then flour both sides. Pan fry in oil.
They are as good as they come for fried fish, but you might find a light coating of Aunt Jemimah white corn meal is better than flour.

Golden fried fish needs Yellow corn meal, as do shrimp and fried oysters afaic.

[Linked Image]

we always had them deep fried in cornmeal, just excellent.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been catching a bunch of hand sized bluegill, but have never eaten them. Are they worth messing with or keep turning them loose?

[Linked Image]

That one is a bit small, I don't keep em that small unless they swallow the hook. They are very good eating. Fried in a seasoned corn meal mix after dipping in an egg , milk and mustard solution is good stuff. The big ones can be ( butterflied ) and this is basically filleted but they still have the skin and the tail but no other bones. I specifically seek them out on some of my fishing trips.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was fishing some lillypads once, i had about 10 thick pumpkinseeds on a stringer, had been a few mins before the next good keeper got hooked.

Pulled up that stringer and there was a FAT cottonmouth sucking on the last fish on the string. I only noticed it after nearly grabbing it. 😬

Meh

I dropped the whole thing and paddled on. 🙀

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Best to catch them,other sunfish, crappies through the ice and early spring. They are excellent fried. They get wormy when the water warms tho.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Poach the bony little bastards and break the meat out of the bones.Pick the bones out. Then use them for fish cakes. Out of cold water they are pretty good. Out of warm water they taste like swamp water. Bass...pretty much the same thing. Serve the fish cakes with a sauce made out of ketchup, Mayo, some Old Bay ,thin a bit with water and whatever......

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I was fishing some lillypads once, i had about 10 thick pumpkinseeds on a stringer, had been a few mins before the next good keeper got hooked.

Pulled up that stringer and there was a FAT cottonmouth sucking on the last fish on the string. I only noticed it after nearly grabbing it. 😬

Meh

I dropped the whole thing and paddled on. 🙀

Ya coulda had snake for dinner!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Gut/clean/scale. Remove head. Oil then flour both sides. Pan fry in oil.
They are as good as they come for fried fish, but you might find a light coating of Aunt Jemimah white corn meal is better than flour.

Golden fried fish needs Yellow corn meal, as do shrimp and fried oysters afaic.

[Linked Image]

will agree with the cornmeal for fish but flour mix for oysters and shrimp or breadcrumbs or cracker meal or spacial k cerial crushed up for shrimp and oysters

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I catch a lot of them to use as catfish bait on jug lines. Sure catch some big ones that way. Around here the bigger Bluegills come from Meridian state park and Lake Whitney. Yes I usually skin them, dip em in a batter made from Mesa flour (corn flour) and egg then either pan fry or deep fry. Fine tasting fish.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by lostleader
Best to catch them,other sunfish, crappies through the ice and early spring. They are excellent fried. They get wormy when the water warms tho.

This. At least in Minnesota.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can't believe this is even a thread. Bluegill's are great eating no matter what time of the year.

Pan fish like gills, crappies, sunnies etc. are probably the easiest fish to fillet boneless. Crappie is my personal fave because they're bigger but bluegill's are great too.

If you want GOOD pickled fish, pickle bluegills. Thank me later.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I can't believe this is even a thread. Bluegill's are great eating no matter what time of the year.

Pan fish like gills, crappies, sunnies etc. are probably the easiest fish to fillet boneless. Crappie is my personal fave because they're bigger but bluegill's are great too.

If you want GOOD pickled fish, pickle bluegills. Thank me later.

Pickled northern...tops.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 5sdad

No.

Have you ever eaten bluegill ?
Do you like Fish ?

Agree w/ another poster: Corn Meal is better than flour > IMO

Jerry

Yes and yes - but I don't like bluegill or crappie, especially if the skin is left on. Tilapia are worse than either. I just don't care for the taste. Walleye and northern are fine.

Last edited by 5sdad; 05/10/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just finished eating some bluegill fillets for supper. They are good. Walleye crappie and bass are better.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bluegills are great,, also around here we have goggle eye or warmouth bass and small mouth bass, very good an fresh tasting,,Northern hogsuckers and golden redhorse(yellow suckers) are king if you know how to prepare and cook em

I AM AMERICA!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Too small even for bait.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Sweet meat fried crispy in corn meal with garlic potatoes

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,285
Posts18,525,686
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.