Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I just don’t understand the allure Everest holds for “thrill seekers”. Everything is all roped and laddered up, just follow the giant Disneyland line up the mountain. There’s no personal accomplishment other than being able to afford a good guide and walk uphill in an oxygen depleted environment.

The other thing that really grates on me is that most of the people that climb it are of the vegan, liberal-progressive, greenie variety. They’re the type of people that support idiots like AOC and fear that global warming is going to wipe out mankind yet those same people have no problem leaving their trash and feces in what was once a pristine environment. They somehow justify their pollution and the ruination of a mountain that they revere because it suits their agenda. Since they can afford the $20-$50,000+ it costs to hire a guide they justify and excuse their despicable destruction of that sacred place because they can. They’ll come back here to the states and lecture us about their “amazing feat” and how connected to Mother Earth they are while conveniently leaving out the fact that they left hundreds of pounds of crap behind them polluting the mountain forever. They’re the type of hypocrites that believe the ends justify the means ONLY FOR THEM.....everyone else must abide by a completely different set of rules, rules that will be defined by the liberal mountain climbers and foisted upon the masses. Their lectures about the sacredness and beauty of Mt. Everest always conveniently omit their contribution to the destruction of that beauty.

I was recently reading an article about a bunch of mountaineers and Sherpa teams that, with the aid of helicopters, removed several TONS of trash from basecamp alone.

Excellent post!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Rob Hall?

Rob in all his climbing experience , gave into the wishes/influences of his client rather than his own better prof. judgement.

When a stranded Rob made radio contact he asked the silly question;' 'Won't somebody come and help me?'...

what's not often mentioned, is that two sherpas [that summited two days before and were exhausted],
did leave camp IV (26,000 ft) in an attempt to assist him down, apparently they got to within 700 ft of
the Sth Summit(28,700 ft) with Robs position just below the Sth summit, but they were forced to turn back.
..they came to within like a couple hundred feet or less of his position. but even had they reached him they
themselves may not have been in an able bodied condition to help him, ..its possible all three could have perished.

Three Sherpas also set off from camp IV toward Scott Fischer and Makalu Gau 1200 ft away...Fischer was found dead
and left on the ledge, while Gau was brought down.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I've worked with three people that summited Everest.

Never met anyone that completed the Pac Trail.

I'd rather do the PCT. It honestly seems more impressive.

I think regular people can hike the PCT as long as they are in reasonably good health, and are determined enough. I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail a few years ago.

I think climbing Everest would be an enormous challenge and a big personal accomplishment. Even guided it takes good lungs and stamina and courage.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'd rather go hunt cape buff or grizzly with a bow

It's cheaper as well to do those

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by JeffyD
You don't have to travel halfway around the planet to die on a mountain: Mt. McKinley, Alaska, summer of 1967 - the Wilcox Expedition. Seven members reached the top but were caught in a wicked storm on the way down. Never found, they're still up there. I bought the book, "The Hall of the Mountain King", by survivor Howard Snyder, in 1975 and it still resides in my book case.

Denali. Please. Yep, just a nit to pick.

In 1967 it was Mt. McKinley.

Last edited by JeffyD; 05/24/19.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
People wanna climba mountain.

They ain't botherin anybody else.

Leave em alone.

If the trash on Everest becomes a problem for me, I'll deal with it.

I promise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plastics in the oceans is a bigger issue than oxygen bottles and bodies on the mountain. .. grin

I get a laugh when people say a mountain is 'sacred'.

Where is the official boundary in all that called the Himalayas that separates a sacred rock from the not sacred?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somehow I just can't feel bad for a vegan libtard , polluting hypocrites dying on Mt. Everest......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
There was an HD picture you could zoom around I saw awhile back. The amount of trash up there is crazy.

And, climbers have to step over bodies of people that have died (and been left) on the mountain. Google "Bodies on Mt. Everest" for some pix.

Here's a You Tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQeSoRAjuY

these images are reason enough to not gamble on an ascent!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by 16bore
There was an HD picture you could zoom around I saw awhile back. The amount of trash up there is crazy.

And, climbers have to step over bodies of people that have died (and been left) on the mountain. Google "Bodies on Mt. Everest" for some pix.

Here's a You Tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQeSoRAjuY

these images are reason enough to not gamble on an ascent!

If those bodies is liberals, I'm gonna book a trip.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There's an estimated 200 bodies up there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
At least I died doing what I looooooooooooooooooo................

and a minute later.......................oooooooooooooooove SPLAT!

The last documentary I watched about one guy that fell & died stated that his buddy, while trying to sleep, could hear the fallen comrade moaning & crying out for help all night. For some reason he made no effort to find him.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What a pity to spend so much money and time to get up Everest and have it turn out like that; trash and crowds frown

Really there’s only one endeavor left on Everest.....

.....the first guy to get laid up there 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
What a pity to spend so much money and time to get up Everest and have it turn out like that; trash and crowds frown

Really there’s only one endeavor left on Everest.....

.....the first guy to get laid up there 😎
It's been about 65 years since Hillary made it to the top. I'm guessing that your endeavor was done a long time ago.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
At least I died doing what I looooooooooooooooooo................

and a minute later.......................oooooooooooooooove SPLAT!

The last documentary I watched about one guy that fell & died stated that his buddy, while trying to sleep, could hear the fallen comrade moaning & crying out for help all night. For some reason he made no effort to find him.

I’d not be too critical, the way I understand it, conditions are so surreal up there that the guy who made it back would almost certainly die trying to find the injured guy in the dark and even if he did find him, would be physically incapable of rendering aid.

I do recall though that a few years back two Brits passed on making the summit by opting to save the life of an incapacitated climber instead.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You don't have to travel halfway around the planet to die on a mountain: Mt. McKinley, Alaska, summer of 1967 - the Wilcox Expedition. Seven members reached the top but were caught in a wicked storm on the way down. Never found, they're still up there. I bought the book, "The Hall of the Mountain King", by survivor Howard Snyder, in 1975 and it still resides in my book case.

When I moved to Fairbanks in 1976, it was Mt. McKinley, in Mt. McKinley National Park.

It's always been McKinley to me, and ,imely always will.

In '76, Denali was favored by the natural, hippy, crowd.

I guess it's caught on since then.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
I seen a movie where the guy lived in school bus and played with bears, then one day they ate him.

I believe thats 2 difffrent movies. Treadwll and I can't recall the others name right now.

Further up the thread. You are correct; McCandless (bus; “Into the Wild”.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
3 more today. It's up to 10 now this season. That's a record. The latest was a Brit to got to the top, then dropped dead after only 150 meters going back down. This has become an international joke.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

When I moved to Fairbanks in 1976, it was Mt. McKinley, in Mt. McKinley National Park.

It's always been McKinley to me, and ,imely always will.

In '76, Denali was favored by the natural, hippy, crowd.

I guess it's caught on since then.

I grew up with McKinley as well; always thought that the Denali "insisters" were a bit pretentious. (I could be wrong - I have been before.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
3 more today. It's up to 10 now this season. That's a record. The latest was a Brit to got to the top, then dropped dead after only 150 meters going back down. This has become an international joke.

Not sure how 10 fatalities would be considered a record. There were 15 deaths in 1996.......12 in May, and 3 more in September.

The avalanche in the Khumbu Ice Fall killed far more in 2014, as did the Earthquake in 2015.........most in Base Camp.

Last edited by GrandView; 05/25/19.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (1_deuce, 673, 79S, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 21 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,498
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.