Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
https://hipowersandhandguns.com/
I have found alot of HiPower answers there.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
I shoot nothing but powder coated cast HP's in mine & it's never burped once & I've fired a lot of rounds down the barrel. Don't sell that gun!

Dick

i casted a bunch of 124grain lead buletts for 9mm/re:hi power and others, and for .380. never had any issue either.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a customized Hi Power that was made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. Had a beaver tail put on it, steepled the front and back strap of the grip, disconnected the magazine safety and a trigger job and Novak sights and the most beautiful cocobolo stocks Craig Spiegel ever made. Carried it on duty and it rests in the drawer of my night stand. I think I have had it over 25 years and fired the heck out of it. It eats every thing I feed it and shoots great.

There was a reason the Israeli special teams, British SAS, Navy Seals and FBI Hostage Rescue Team and many others used them. I think I would sell my 1911 before I sold my Hi Power and I am a 1911 guy. Cheerish that sweet pistol, nothing ever felt as good in my hands as the Hi Power grip. No striker fired pistol has the graceful feel and lines of a Hi Power.

Do a little search and you will find a big wealth of info and history on the HI Power and 9mm ammo.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The newer 9mm HP bullets typically feed with no problem in the humped barrel versions. Stay under 124grs. if you can.

If all else fails, get the Mec-Gar 13 round standard magazines. This usually will solve feed issues with the less forgiving bullets.

Also, check these people out.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've never owned a Hi Power, but I must say IMO they are one of the prettiest pistols ever. Especially the old school deep blue with wood grips. Just dead sexy.

I should google this, but I'm feeling lazy. What is a "beer can sight", as was mentioned in an earlier post?
Posted by TheKid: I have two, one was a plain fixed site gun made in 1980, the other is a 1970’s production beercan site gun.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/30/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I've never owned a Hi Power, but I must say IMO they are one of the prettiest pistols ever. Especially the old school deep blue with wood grips. Just dead sexy.

I should google this, but I'm feeling lazy. What is a "beer can sight", as was mentioned in an earlier post?
Posted by TheKid: I have two, one was a plain fixed site gun made in 1980, the other is a 1970’s production beercan site gun.

The "beercan" sight (I hadn't heard it called that, but it made sense when I thought about it) was a fully adjustable sight available on the guns of the early '70s thru the mid '80s. The rear "leaf" looked for all the world like a beer can with a side opened up, and as flimsy as it was, it worked to keep the rear sight picture in shadow (black). It was an interesting sight (my first HP had it) but it could be damaged easily, and was replaced by a Millett adjustable sight rear (an abomination by any name).

I like HPs too. I've had three Brownings and a FEG, which is a Hungarian copy, and a pretty good one, at that.

Browning does NOT recommend +P or +P+ in the High Power, and you probably shouldn't use any old subgun ammo in it, either. I have a friend who disregarded that, and then they wouldn't warrant the pistol when he sent it in. The only parts I ever broke were extractors, I had to replace a couple of them. I shot mine pretty hard.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
Thanks for the answer! Now, you got me curious and I will have to google up some pics.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by K1500
It will run with something. They always used to run with Federal 9BP, and it is an accurate (but low tech) load. Selling a HiPower is always a mistake.

As the owner of a pair of them I well know that feeling. Very Dumb move on my part

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is neither here nor there but there's a green (believe it or not a verdigris color including the grips) High Power for sale on the local Armslist that looks like it has an eight inch barrel including some kind of compensator/barrel weight thing hung on the end. Just the kind of crazy looking thing that would have been irresistible to a younger me.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Is it a Competition HP from the 70’s or 80’s? They had a funky stamped sheet metal rear sight in a big cutout in the slide, no front sight on the slide but one mounted on a barrel weight out front. I don’t think they had any holes turning the weight into a comp. Strange looking things, but the two I’ve shot were outstanding. Would love to have one.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/hiRes/719014289_1.jpg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Is it a Competition HP from the 70’s or 80’s? They had a funky stamped sheet metal rear sight in a big cutout in the slide, no front sight on the slide but one mounted on a barrel weight out front. I don’t think they had any holes turning the weight into a comp. Strange looking things, but the two I’ve shot were outstanding. Would love to have one.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/hiRes/719014289_1.jpg

That looks like it, minus the color. I'll send you a PM with a link if I can find it again.

Edited for the record, upon further review, it's probably not green, it's just the shading in the picture and my eyesight LOL.

Last edited by RufusG; 05/31/19.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,563
Posts18,510,657
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.