Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone not fishing in grizzly bear/mountain lion country carry while wearing chest waders? If so, which handgun and method of carry works for you? No offense to those in bear or lion country, but I'm not looking to strap a large caliber revolver across my chest if I can help it. smile

How about a small, lightweight auto or revolver simply placed in the outside zippered chest pocket of my waders?

Thanks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even in bear country I often carry some smallish pistol in an accessible pocket or inside the top of the wader in a clip-on holster.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobmn
El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster

That looks like a fine holster, but I would most likely leave it at home. I usually wear a vest loaded with fly boxes, tippet spools, leader wallet, etc., and having a gun and holster of that size under all of that other stuff seems like a recipe for me not wearing it and going without.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Can you put it in your underwear, so you can shoot your nut like the white trash guy managed to do??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
How about a small, lightweight auto or revolver simply placed in the outside zippered chest pocket of my waders?

I've just threaded the holster onto my wader belt. I wear the Simms waist highs most of the time and it works out fine. My days of deep wading are over.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Hill People Gear Kit Bag. Good for a gun and other assorted stuff you want handy.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No offense to those in bear or lion country, but I'm not looking to strap a large caliber revolver across my chest if I can help it. smile

What I found was the most popular amongst the guides I worked with in Alaska's coastal brown bear country was a short barreled, pistol gripped 12 gauge slung over their back.

Seemed handier and much quicker than dickin' with a handgun, less need for accuracy to boot.

The bears we'd see that were at a distance or didn't come upon you as a complete surprise were never the issue.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What is your worry while fly fishing...two-legged varmints? Figure it out yet?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pugs

I've just threaded the holster onto my wader belt. I wear the Simms waist highs most of the time and it works out fine. My days of deep wading are over.

Thanks. I would prefer not to open carry, if possible. It's not uncommon for me to be fishing in places like state parks, along hiking and biking trails, in sight of residential areas, etc. Regardless of how adamant we are about our right to bear arms, there is no question that open carry can make other folks uneasy. I would rather just go about my business without drawing attention to myself.

Several years ago I hiked to a popular scenic spot along the Appalachian Trail in PA. I had been carrying a .357 revolver on my belt for two days prior on the hike, but decided to leave it in the vehicle that day. I'm glad I did. The overlook was crowded with Plain Sect folk, including many women and small children. I would've felt very out of place walking around with a firearm on my hip in plain view that day - like open carrying at Disney World. Some people who carry aren't bothered by such things, and that's great, but it's not for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
What is your worry while fly fishing...two-legged varmints? Figure it out yet?

I'm not really worried much, but I do occasionally come across some sketchy-looking people while fishing. I've been fishing my entire life without carrying a weapon, and usually don't give it a second thought. Just considering options....

Art's advice seems to be what I'm leaning toward.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 05/26/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anyone not fishing in grizzly bear/mountain lion country carry while wearing chest waders? If so, which handgun and method of carry works for you? No offense to those in bear or lion country, but I'm not looking to strap a large caliber revolver across my chest if I can help it. smile

Thanks.

Sounds like you figgered it out already. Minus the big carnivores, a pocket gun is fine I think. Nobody wants to get shot, even a little bit.

Here, thankfully, our constitutional carry allows open carry of defensive handguns while hiking, hunting or fishing. Hunting handguns must always be carried openly, however.

All kinds of characters walk the trails of my local WMA, due to its proximity to a former vacation community that now has mostly full-time residents, some of them pretty rough. I never go there without at least one firearm, two during hunting season.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/26/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think a pistol on a cop's hip or a fisherman is going to scare anyone with a brain. I never open carry in town, but always in the forest or fishing. Never ever had any issues. I have goofy labs, so they incite bears, racoon, etc. I think people should see guns have a place literally.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Terryk
I don't think a pistol on a cop's hip or a fisherman is going to scare anyone with a brain. I never open carry in town, but always in the forest or fishing. Never ever had any issues. I have goofy labs, so they incite bears, racoon, etc. I think people should see guns have a place literally.

Funny you mention that. Once, about 25 years ago or so, I saw a raccoon awkwardly bumbling through the forest in broad daylight. Luckily, he was on the opposite side of the stream and didn't seem to notice me. There were no smartphones or Internet back then. Otherwise, I would've created a post here on the Campfire - "How to Dispatch a Rabid Raccoon while Wearing Waders without a Weapon."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Hill People Gear Kit Bag. Good for a gun and other assorted stuff you want handy.

+1 on this. Works great and easy access....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SGT26
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

+1 on this. Works great and easy access....

It looks to be just a bit too much extra going on while wearing the waders and fishing vest. The waders already have suspenders, and the vest has all sorts of tools and tippet spools hanging from it. Adding another harness and bag in the same area seems like a PIA.

When I am fishing familiar waters, I can get away with a minimal amount of gear, and the HPG bag would probably work. However, I don't fish nearly often enough to get "dialed in", so I end up carrying too much stuff "just in case". Dry fly collection, nymph collection, streamers, terrestrials, sink tips, etc.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 05/26/19.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just wear pants under my waders and carry iwb per usual. Not the fastest to get to but it’s there and secure.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Buy an LCR in 22LR or .38 Special.

Put in the available pocket.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.