Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In the process of building a new home and have a room picked out that will be my gun/reloading room. Looking to make it NICE and would love to see what you guy have and get some input. Pics would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

I'll get the size later, should be in the 12 x 18 area though. Cement walls on 3 sides, no windows.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

A friend of mine’s brother built a new home, put his walk-in gun vault beneath his sidewalk to his front door. Most would never suspect that beneath that concrete is a vault, and as it is not part of the house “footprint”, with a concealed/disguised entry from the basement ..... a darn secure set-up! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First thing I’d do is figure out where I could put a nice window in one of them cement walls.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have built a few.

I build them much like a gun store or pawn shop. Visit a gun store with 1,000 guns.

I put tags on the guns that shows:
a) make
b) model
c) cost paid
d) date bought
e) date of manufacture
f) any gunsmithing needed
g) serial number
h) private sale or FFL

I build up a spreadsheet of the same information. Store it on a thumb drive that is stored in a fireproof safe in a different building. If your house burns down or is burglarized, this can be used in the insurance claim.

For rifles and shotguns:
1/2" dowels on 5" centers that protrude 5.5"
Shelves that are 8.5" deep

For handguns, handgun racks on bookshelves.

One guy has a dozen sheet metal gun safes, bolted together, where he puts the guns when on travel.

One guy has a dehumidifier in the concrete basement. This one pumps out the water with a garden hose.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you thinking something like knotty pine paneling for a rustic look? How about floor covering, DO NOT carpet, PIA when you drop a tiny part on the floor, spill a bottle of solvent or get a little moisture in the basement. I built a similar gun room once upon a time, I was acquainted with a contractor who was overhauling a large kitchen, I got all the cabinets for hauling them off, worked fine, looked good, price was right.

Last edited by jnyork; 05/28/19.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Floor will be some kind of laminate. Thinking some kind of Tongue and groove for the walls. Other than that I’m open to suggestions

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Upon reading this post, the first thought I have to share is that you may wish to wait a while - maybe quite a while depending on circumstances with new construction - before you keep/store firearms in a room with new concrete walls. It takes a while for the concrete to fully dry/harden and quite a bit of the moisture can stay in the enclosed area. A vent with fan and even a moisture-removing sack of crystals dripping into a container (to be emptied frequently) may be helpful in such conditions. The room size you mention seems quite good for the purpose (at least for my purposes with such space) and I would manipulate various layout ideas with your primary uses/storage needs/preferences in mind. I have enjoyed an excellent (for me) self-designed room space of this sort for many years and am in the process of relocating the whole deal. So, am thinking hard about future needs/activities before laying out a new space. It's a fun project - hope it is of high enjoyment for you and that your result is great..

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks CCCC good looking out! Ill run a dehumidifier till the heat goes on for sure.

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow!!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I want to be gbp's friend

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sure hope all you ham heads that post pics on this thread have your Exif data disabled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do cement on six sides if you can. Add a vault door. Section off shelves/closet in the gun room for non-gun priorities that you want to protect. If done right, it's a storm shelter, safe room, vault room, and fireproof. Cost to do during the build is significantly less than after you've moved in.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
I sure hope all you ham heads that post pics on this thread have your Exif data disabled.

What does that mean? Are they watchin ya?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by slumlord

What does that mean? Are they watchin ya?

Here we are having problems with farmers being burgled and having their firearms stolen...mostly a Victorian thing.

Mostly seems to be black african and middle eastern gangs from the cities that are tooling up.

And Vic cops and gov are too busy denying to actually go after the crooks...looks like that from here anyway.

Last edited by JSTUART; 05/28/19.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice room gbp. How many long guns do you have room for? What are the dimensions of the room?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
An oversize portable air purifier and a separate dehumidifier are good investments. My gun room has reinforced walls and a level 7 tornado shelter door for security. I originally had carpet on the floor, but as previously noted, small parts and spent primers can be hard to find. Subsequently went with a Prego floor. An anti-fatigue mat is worth having if you expect to spend much time standing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
A couple of leather club chairs and a small library plus room for a little good whisky would fit right in for when you just want to sit and chill with a buddy.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My gun/reloading room is just an old store room behind the garage but I've found this sign on the door to be the best addition I've made to it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like that sign ! .......... But in the interest of domestic tranquility I probably wouldn't hang one on the gun/reloading room door.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,296
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.