Hop To
#13872123 06/04/19
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Who has one?

Friends say its the best Glock ever.

What say you?

WA State is in the throngs of semi-automatic gun control madness, and I want to get one more Glock before the trigger date (July 1).

I'm certain it will get overturned, but what a pain in the butt (Google WA Initiative 1629).

Last edited by David_Walter; 06/04/19.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm sure it's a fine Glock, but I cannot imagine how it could be better for IWB carry, or shooting, than a Glock 17.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Get one. Of the 5 glocks I currently own, the 45 is my favorite to shoot. Love the balance of it, very soft shooting. The extra leverage you get from the longer grip and the 19 length slide is noticeable. Just my $0.02.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
David, I've been thinking more about the G45 myself. Interested to hear your thoughts if you pick one up.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm headed to Fairchild tomorrow, and the Exchange has Glocks. I'll get a price on a 45 if they have them. Maybe get me one....

EDITED:

The base does not have one in stock, and the military exchange does not have the Glock MIL/LE blue label pricing anyway.

It's ponderous.....

Last edited by David_Walter; 06/04/19.

John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you will like it unless you have usually small hands.

I have a 19x, which is functionally, the same gun & I like it a lot..................definitely carries a little easier than a 17 since it has the shorter slide.

The G5 triggers are an improvement over the previous versions, IMO; I just changed the connector on mine & it's better than any of my G3's & 4's that have had a fair amount of tuning done to them.

Good Luck with your search.

MM

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Who has one?

Friends say its the best Glock ever.

What say you?

WA State is in the throngs of semi-automatic gun control madness, and I want to get one more Glock before the trigger date (July 1).

I'm certain it will get overturned, but what a pain in the butt (Google WA Initiative 1629).

Your state initiative aside, you should definitely consider buying one--especially if you favor the Glock platform.

For several years, I had hoped that Glock would build a pistol by mating the G17 frame to a G26 slide, but alas, it likely won't happen.

Meanwhile--the G19X, and G45, are a huge step in the right direction--despite the cries of many who instead wanted a G17 slide mated to a G19 frame. Many were glad to see the two offerings happen, and in my opinion, they are moving closer to their slogan.

I think these two pistols are really nice offerings, even though I'd eventually like to see it go one step further, as noted above.

A few obvious differences between the G19X and the G45 are:

The G45 does not have the small lip on the front strap of the grip;

The G45 has a slightly beveled mag well, along with a slightly forward protruding base pad;

Of course the G45 has the forward slide serrations;

And, the Glock brand rear night sight on the G45 is slightly taller, with a wider notch, making it easier on aging eyes, or in slightly lower light situations...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

For several years, I had hoped that Glock would build a pistol by mating the G17 frame to a G26 slide.

Would you mind explaining the rationale behind that? I can see the reverse, i.e., a Glock 17 slide on a Glock 26 frame. That way, you'd get the full benefit of the 17 slide/barrel (which is IWB anyway, so doesn't print), and the enhanced concealability of the Glock 26 grip. What's the attraction to the opposite way?

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, if the 17 slide on a 26 frame melts your butter, you gotta be tickled at the thought of a 17L slide on a 26 frame...GML

Glock Mares Leg

Dave

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RDW
Well, if the 17 slide on a 26 frame melts your butter, you gotta be tickled at the thought of a 17L slide on a 26 frame...GML

Glock Mares Leg

Didn't say it did. I said I could understand that more than I can understand the reverse. Although, a 19 slide on a 26 frame would be pretty cool.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wondering how you are certain it will get Overturned? This is Washington.....nothing gets overturned.

Co Worker has one. Ive handled it but not shot it. I WILL own one soon. But a G34 Gen 5 MOS will be following me home today. Then a 43X. Just the feel of the extra grip length screams that it is gonna be soooo easy to drive and shoot lights out

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah. A19 slide on a 26. Less grip to print under a shirt. Now open carry, I will take a 17.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
Yeah. A19 slide on a 26. Less grip to print under a shirt. Now open carry, I will take a 17.

The 17 is my EDC IWB. Some printing if I bend down to reach something on a lower grocery store shelf, or something like that, but most would assume it was a cell phone.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

For several years, I had hoped that Glock would build a pistol by mating the G17 frame to a G26 slide.

Would you mind explaining the rationale behind that? I can see the reverse, i.e., a Glock 17 slide on a Glock 26 frame. That way, you'd get the full benefit of the 17 slide/barrel (which is IWB anyway, so doesn't print), and the enhanced concealability of the Glock 26 grip. What's the attraction to the opposite way?

A person has to realize that "concealed carry" isn't always a reason for having a particular rig:

Sometimes, the reason may simply be that a given individual may want the rig more for range time, or shooting a few matches, etc.

I also recognize the fact that many individuals have many varied preferences--we don't all like the same thing.

All that aside, a G17 handle mated with a G26 slide, would have dimensions very close to the HK P7 M13, something I've used for 32 years, and really like--although the G26 slide would be 1/4 inch shorter than the P7 slide.

I thought the Glock platform being close to the P7 in dimension might be good medicine. As it is, the G45 slide is only about 1/4 inch longer than the P7 slide--so they're fairly close right now....

The Glock M 45 is a real winner.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
My interest in the G45 is based on a combination of two things:
- The G17 frame feels better in my hand than the G19, although I carry the 19.
- The G19 slide cycles a little faster, or can run on lighter loads reliably for quick shooting. Note the difference between fast cycling and soft shooting; the heavier/longer slides shoot softer but a little slower with more muzzle dip when they return to battery. More noticeable in the really long slides and it's a very minor difference, but it's there.

I expect the combination of those two things in the G45 will provide a very quick handling pistol that feels really good in my hand. I'd probably use it more for GSSF matches and not carry it much if at all.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The G45 is giving the time-tested 17 and 19 a run for their money...

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Wondering how you are certain it will get Overturned? This is Washington.....nothing gets overturned.

Co Worker has one. Ive handled it but not shot it. I WILL own one soon. But a G34 Gen 5 MOS will be following me home today. Then a 43X. Just the feel of the extra grip length screams that it is gonna be soooo easy to drive and shoot lights out

They put everything including the kitchen sink in there. It'll be overturned.

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll likely grab a 45 and add it to the fray...…………………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been carrying mine since about February of this year. Nothing to dislike about this pistol. I previously carried a G19 for about three years, but the full sized frame on the G45 suits my mitts just fine. I did install Trijicon HD sights and a 3.5 pound connector. Other than that, I just shoot the thing. Very pleased with it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I've been carrying mine since about February of this year. Nothing to dislike about this pistol. I previously carried a G19 for about three years, but the full sized frame on the G45 suits my mitts just fine. I did install Trijicon HD sights and a 3.5 pound connector. Other than that, I just shoot the thing. Very pleased with it.

Can you tell me how you are better served by the 45 than by a 17? I like to hear the various answers I get to this question . Thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.