Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I spotted a 1952 model FN with a custom stock that ain't any to good . It has a left side vertical wing safety and the push button floorplate release. It's very smooth, I was thinking for the money I couldn't get hurt $245. Heck it might even shoot who knows/ Anyone know more about this action model?MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The FN's are some of the best of the Mauser actions- especially the commercial FN's you find on the aftermarket rifles like the Sears and other models. I've found the best way to convert one so it is truly useful is to dump the shroud and safety and replace it with a Mark X shroud. Then put an aftermarket trigger with a side safety on and you have everything you need for a custom action. They are extremely smooth, cycle well and eject well, and there are tons of 98 Mauser parts and accessories available...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For myself I don't like the side safeties that require the stock to be opened up. Just leaves a hole for crud/snow to get in, besides being just a trigger block safety. I also don't care for enclosed triggers, if given the choice, for a hunting rifle.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know how good they are, but I did purchase a Dumoulin Mauser Action from Sarco 3-4 years ago when they had them on sale for $299

Have not decided what to build with it yet. Seems to be a well built piece of equipment.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah, Owl a bud bought 2 of those Dumoulins, he turned the first into a 7x57 still has the 2nd in a box. This FN is a commercial sporter no thumb cut and has a cocking piece low swing safety on the left side. Couldn't see a name on it but the trigger looked a lot like a Timmney. It is very smooth. The barrel on it looks original and all that but it's a 25-06 and that don't fit.? If it was put together back then. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than Sunny Hill and Blackburn, what are other options for a 98 hinged bottom?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Other than Sunny Hill and Blackburn, what are other options for a 98 hinged bottom?

Duane Wiebe

http://www.customgunandrifle.com/products/bottommetal/mauser-bottommetal

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice looking rifles......

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
After commissioning a number of custom rifles over the years, this is my personal take on the posters question:
The reason for building a custom rifle is so you can have it “your way”. What I am willing to spend money on in terms of hardware, chambering or style, the next guy might turn down at a fraction of the cost. It usually means you wish to have something not generally available. There are lots and lots of used custom rifles for sale far below replacement cost. Why not buy one of them and save some time? The answer is usually “because it has “______” or it doesn’t have “________”. Back to the same thought as before. A custom.rifle is a reflection of the buyer’s values. “ I want a .275 Rigby in English Walnut - not a 7 x 57 in Claro.” If you are a Mauser fan, then build on a Mauser and so forth. I cannot tell you what your perfect custom looks like. Look at at lot of customs and pay attention to what speaks to you.

John

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Try to find a Mark X TG, they were hinged.
Also Argie 09s and Verguiero TGs were hinged.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since there has been no shortage of opinions posted on the usual routes you can take, I'll tell what I would do given my circumstances (kinda old and impatient, and somewhat limited resources). I'd take a hard, first-hand look at the Mauser M03s. In the pictures,mthey look very nice, and have some interesting features that I like. Start around $4500 IIRC.

Another option is one of the fancy kipplaufs from several makers. Accurate, and very, very light and handy.

Have fun.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=texasjohn]After commissioning a number of custom rifles over the years, this is my personal take on the posters question:
The reason for building a custom rifle is so you can have it “your way”. What I am willing to spend money on in terms of hardware, chambering or style, the next guy might turn down at a fraction of the cost. It usually means you wish to have something not generally available. There are lots and lots of used custom rifles for sale far below replacement cost. Why not buy one of them and save some time? The answer is usually “because it has “______” or it doesn’t have “________”. Back to the same thought as before. A custom.rifle is a reflection of the buyer’s values. “ I want a .275 Rigby in English Walnut - not a 7 x 57 in Claro.” If you are a Mauser fan, then build on a Mauser and so forth. I cannot tell you what your perfect custom looks like. Look at at lot of customs and pay attention to what speaks to you.

I think texasjohn nailed it. I prefer pre 64 Mod 70's and Kreiger barrels with either very nice American Black Walnut or English, but that's just me.
Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pre64 comes with a lot of parts that would have to be added to a M98 including a hinged floorplate and 3 pos. safety.

I bought a JC Higgins M50 this week for the FN98 action with no clear plan forward. Already have a Dakota 3pos. safety but will concentrate on getting the action completed before deciding on the rest. Will probably be either a 7mm Mauser or 30-06. Maybe not.

Don’t shoot your Higgins. I shot mine and now hate to rebarrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brownell used to sell an Aluminum hinged bottom metal from PAWS.
These were light weight.
I got a number of these. Others were available from Sarco or Numrich and I got those too.

In dollars per ounce of weight savings, they were the low hanging fruit.

This Parker Hale for $50 is an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Hal...d-floorplate-trigger-guard-/264321700144

Many require work.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Don’t shoot your Higgins. I shot mine and now hate to rebarrel.

It's a 270 and I have lot of loading stuff here for it. I may try it out. This project is going to be long term while I gather parts. All I have is the safety so I have a long way to go before it needs to be torn down.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just built one on this receiver for my nephew's HS Graduation...

[Linked Image]

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One I'm currently in the process of building on a Brno Mauser
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just looking for opinions (pros & cons) from those who know.

Budget?

Hint...………………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Brownell used to sell an Aluminum hinged bottom metal from PAWS.
These were light weight.
I got a number of these. Others were available from Sarco or Numrich and I got those too.

In dollars per ounce of weight savings, they were the low hanging fruit.

This Parker Hale for $50 is an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Hal...d-floorplate-trigger-guard-/264321700144

Many require work.

Thanks .... I saw those but think that I want to stick with all steel for this project or if I need to save some weight can do it as an ADL style.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bt8897
One I'm currently in the process of building on a Brno Mauser
[Linked Image]

WOW!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (01Foreman400, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.