Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thats barely one safe full smile I keep finding reasons for another one.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, that doesn't include all the rifles that are on loan from various manufacturers--or Eileen's rifles. (Or shotguns, rimfire rifles, handguns, muzzleloaders, air rifles, etc. I don't put any limit on those because I don't tend to "over-buy" them, but if I let myself go on centerfire rifles, the house would soon start leaking rifles.)

That said, I am now only one above my self-imposed centerfire rifle limit, having shipped two out to buyers in the last week. However, another one is headed this way...and it's not a loaner from a manufacturer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been bit by the custom bug. Just had a Manlicher in 6.5x55 finished and am starting load development and swore it was the last one. I have a fondness for single shots as well and the smith came up with a Winchester High Wall action. This is a new action from a company out west and for the life of me I don't remember the name but a half round half octagon barrel in 38-55 will be fitted and the whole thing dressed up in a nice piece of English walnut.with the appropriate case coloring of metal to finish it off. By the time this is done I'll have the 6.5x55 dialed in and ready for whatever comes along.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mule Deer's comment is correct, as are roundoak and irfubar (sorry if I missed anyone else). Here is O'Connor himself in his book, The Big Game Rifle published in 1952:

"As I write this I have just finished sighting and tuning up a beautiful little mountain rifle which was custom made to my specifications. Tom Burgess, East 823 Sinto Avenue, Spokane 13, Washington, did the metal work, fitting a light 22-inch 7mm barrel to Czech VZ-24 action. He altered the bolt handle for low scope mounting, thinned it down to neat and graceful lines and saving a little weight. He streamlined the trigger guard, hinging the floor plate and put a quick release button on the forward part of the guard. He fitted a Dayton-Traister trigger and Sukalle safety, mounted a Weaver K-4 on the Buehler top bridge mount. Russ Lenoard, also of Spokane, made a trim and handsome stock for it, beautifully shaped and needed."

Note that the VZ-24 is a large-ring action, which is what is shown in irfubar and roundoak's posts.

And much later, in the Gun Digest 1974 article "Forty Years with the Little 7mm," he wrote, "Before long my wife latched onto it. I had the stock shortened and a recoil pad installed. This 7x57 has been her favorite rifle ever since." The article also includes a photo of said rifle (see irfubar's post) with the caption, "Mrs. O'Connor's 7x57 Mauser, metalsmithing by Burgess, stock by Russ Leonard. Shown here with Buehler mount and Weaver K4, but it now carries a Leupold 3x."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to be responding late to this party, but I just came across it. I can't say for certain that the rifle in question did not belong to the O'Connor's, but if it did, it is not one that they used much, if any. I did not see any reference in the ad stating that it was Eleanor's rifle, though I might have missed it.

The photos posted by roundoak show the two rifles that Eleanor used for most of her hunting life. I made both photos when I had the rifles at my house. Buck Buckner brought them by on a visit and allowed me to quickly photograph them. She used the Burgess/Leonard 7x57 for the vast majority of her hunting. The other rifle, a .30-06, was made for her by Len Brownell . She used it on a couple tigers in India and at least one elephant in Africa that I am aware of. She didn't use it often as she thought it was too heavy and kicked too hard.

TT

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess he re-worded the auction.Maybe Eleanor Roosevelt's or Eleanor Rigby's. laugh

Last edited by sqweeler; 06/03/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

Originally the ad did state that it was Eleanor's rifle. Brad O'Connor got wind of it and contacted the seller, who changed the ad.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks John. I was wondering how the rifle and Eleanor got mixed together. By the way, today is Brad's birthday.

TT

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will be seeing him in about 10 days at the O'Connor Center's annual big weekend!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

Give Brad and everyone else my regards. I had to turn down my invite once again unfortunately. One of these days I'm going to have to show up at one of the outings or the old crew will think I've croaked.

Have fun.

TT

Last edited by tsquare; 06/08/19.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe Eleanor Rigby once owned it..............

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 35, 9 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,253
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.