Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
first let me note that i do not expect perfection from a factory rifle. really dont want to hear complaints about the fact yours wasnt perfect either, what i want are solutions.

my rifle is a NIB Kimber 84M in 260

my rifle most defiantly is not CRF, i have mentioned elsewhere that i am not a CRF nut. for all intents in purposes i can use the rifle as is for the most part and not worry. ive mainly hunted with Savages and Remingtons anyway. the rounds dont pop up unexpected ly and after running my dummy rounds through the rifle close to 300 times the last few nights, every single round has always gone into the chamber

heres the first problem:

first round out of the mag, millimeters after this point it pops up and under the extracter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

second round
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

third round pops up at this point
[Linked Image]

last round never pops up under the extractor
[Linked Image]

second problem...........load 4 rounds in the mag, cycle the bolt and during ejection the bolt really wants to hesitate at this point:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/rattler_mt/firstroundeject.jpg[/img]
it doesnt stop me from cycling the rifle though......i grew up shooting a SMLE and, well my bolt manipulation is quite effective grin mainly noticed it as i was watching TV cycling the bolt with the dummy rounds starting to smooth things up. this only happens with the first round out of a full mag. not huge deal but could make things interesting if im trying to work the bolt quietly as i usually pack a gun w/o a round in the chamber.

what i like about the rifle:
GREAT trigger

stock fits me perfect, my eye lines up perfectly dead even with the top of the receiver where the scopes going to be. its also the first straight stocked rifle that fits my wife fairly close. it might be our first true big game hunting rifle that will work for both of us if need be.

the gun balances for me perfectly, infact its the first real light weight rifle ive picked up that does. most of the synthetic stocked Remmy 7's just dont quite balance right in my hands. hoping a Leupy 6x36 in Talleys doesnt throw of the balance

still hate the wing safety but most of my shooting has been with Savages, Remingtons and P17's so i guess thats to be expected. the safeties on the first three just seem to work naturally. these wing safeties are just odd to work as ive got to lift my hand up and forward from normal shooting position to work it.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are not alone,this has been a problem with many 84M's.

It's a coin-flip to get a flawless feeding Kimber,especially in the 84M series.

From what I have been told/heard the new long action(8400) Kimbers are meant to be the best/sweetest of the bunch?

Taking my rifle for a walk
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yeh, was aware of that when i offered to take one in trade but after handling one in a shop i like the fit of them enough that i was willing to work with them as a base.........should any 'smith familiar with tuning a Win 70 or Mauser be able to fix it up? near as i can see its more than likely the feed rails arent quite right and holding the rounds to long before letting them pop up for the most part

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When only one round is left and the bolt is all the way back is the cartridge even in the magazine or tilted down in the front or back>

What part of the bolt does the rim touch? Does the extractor push it forward or the bolt face?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........i cant make it do it now.....think i figured out the problem with that 4th round, musta been a high spot on the follower.....damn rifle was constantly doing it before but now its refusing to.....i can see a spot twords the rear of follower thats defiantly more "polished" than the rest......guess theres something to be said for dummy rounds and cycling them through the action a few hundred times grin

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Mine was also a .260 hanging up, especially the second round feeding from the left side. I sent it back to Kimber and it now runs flawless and shooting sub moa groups with partitions and Scirocco IIs....Turn around was less than a week and everyone was real easy to deal with. I think if they took and extra 5 minutes on each one their returns and complaints would cease. Still alot of rifle for the money.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
going to wait to shoot it before i consider shipping it off..........since i want Talleys for it im not going to bother with the windage ones sent with the rifle......should prolly throw those in the classifieds

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 340Wby
From what I have been told/heard the new long action(8400) Kimbers are meant to be the best/sweetest of the bunch?

I have had the 84M Montana and the 8400 Montana in a WSM. Nice rifles. Sold both for little personal isms. I currently have the 8400 LA Montana (25-06) now and simply can't say enough about it. Love it!

I hope all the feeding issues work out for you rattler. I think the 84M is a very nice rifle. It was just too light for me. I just could not steady mine (that's really my issue, not the rifle's.) Keep working with it.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rattler
going to wait to shoot it before i consider shipping it off..........since i want Talleys for it im not going to bother with the windage ones sent with the rifle......should prolly throw those in the classifieds

You could always trade it off on a Sako.............

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Poor option . . .

He stated in detail how nice the rifle fits and feels.

Guaranteed the Gucci Sako stock won't.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
never have warmed up to Sako's Sam grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Poor option . . .

He stated in detail how nice the rifle fits and feels.

Guaranteed the Gucci Sako stock won't.

Tongue in cheek.

I like their sunglasses too(Gucci), of course I'm a pimp...............

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
never have warmed up to Sako's Sam grin

The stock(personal fit) on the Kimber is why I don't own one, that and the feeding/accuracy problems...............grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Have had no feeding/accuracy problems with the ten or so Kimbers I've owned (lost count).

Owned a Finnlite and a 75 Hunter too, but they didn't stick around long.

I like light fast-handling rifles, and cannot abide tupperware stocks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never owned or shot a Kimber so I must admit I have zero experience concerning them. I'm just recalling several posts I have followed here at the Campfire regarding issues with them.
To each his own.......
I really like the concept/design behind the rifle and hope to hunt with one someday.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The bolt hang-up is probably occuring because there is enough play in the bolt to allow the right botl lug to catch on the square edge of the bridge when (the bolt) is pushed up by the force of the cartridges (mine have done that as well). If you slightly chamfer the action bridge at this contact point the problem will be much reduced

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yeh, was aware of that when i offered to take one in trade but after handling one in a shop i like the fit of them enough that i was willing to work with them as a base.........should any 'smith familiar with tuning a Win 70 or Mauser be able to fix it up? near as i can see its more than likely the feed rails arent quite right and holding the rounds to long before letting them pop up for the most part

Stick with it Rattler,a Smith will nip it in the butt quick smart.

Myself & my buddy have had these problems.A Smith will fix what Kimber missed.GOODLUCK.

Taking my rifle for a walk
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My Montana in 270 WSM would feed OK fast but hang up slow. I had a smith work on it including modifying the feed ramp and radiusing? some of the edges towards the chamber as well as modifiying the feed rails. I think he squeezed in the front of the magazine as well. It's quite a bit better in terms of smoothness, but...

Only the first round from a full magazine is as I understand it CRF, to my untrained eye looks perfect. The second one is close but the rim of the case doesn't quite get under the extractor. The last round is pushed and not grabbed at all. For some reason my impression is that a stiffer spring might help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Piss poor quality control.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 43 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,917
Posts18,518,767
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.