Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Are either of Eleanor's rifles in the Museum? I remember a 7x57 that was her main rifle,and a 30-06 that she used for big/dangerous game.

7x57
[Linked Image]

Both 7x57 and 30-06
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here's another of O'Connor's favorite rifles, a .30-06 on a Mauser action he called his "pet of pets," being aimed by Chet. It's in the same case as the .270 (and a 28-gauge side-by-side and a custom .458 Winchester), so we weighed it too. It went right around 9 pounds, and Jack used it for some sheep hunting, as well as a bunch of other stuff. In fact he took a 43+ Dall ram with it, which is also in the museum, so he did not strictly use light rifles even for mountain hunting.

[Linked Image]

Interesting how close that front ring is to the turret.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Last weekend we attended the big annual celebration at the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage & Education Center in Lewiston,Idaho. We've done several now, and the Center itself is a great place, with a bunch of Jack and Eleanor's trophies and many of their hunting guns. There's also a small gun show on Saturday that includes a bunch of REALLY nice hunting rifles and shotguns, which itself is well worth attending.

On Saturday evening there was a smaller get-together for the folks who run the place, plus invited guests. One of the nifty things that happened was Chet Fitzegerald (Campfire member Chetaf, and member of the board of the Center) managed to get one of the glass display cases opened. We could actually handle and weigh Jack O'Connor's favorite .270, a custom based on the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester action, along with a few other guns. Chet brought a very accurate digital scale, and it turned out the rifle weighs a hair over 7 pounds, 15 ounces.

Several of us got to handle it, including Eileen, who said the rifle was a little heavier than she prefers--but balanced so well she'd definitely hunt with it!

[Linked Image]

Last weekend we attended the big annual celebration at the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage & Education Center in Lewiston,Idaho. We've done several now, and the Center itself is a great place, with a bunch of Jack and Eleanor's trophies and many of their hunting guns. There's also a small gun show on Saturday that includes a bunch of REALLY nice hunting rifles and shotguns, which itself is well worth attending.

On Saturday evening there was a smaller get-together for the folks who run the place, plus invited guests. One of the nifty things that happened was Chet Fitzegerald (Campfire member Chetaf, and member of the board of the Center) managed to get one of the glass display cases opened. We could actually handle and weigh Jack O'Connor's favorite .270, a custom based on the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester action, along with a few other guns. Chet brought a very accurate digital scale, and it turned out the rifle weighs a hair over 7 pounds, 15 ounces.

Several of us got to handle it, including Eileen, who said the rifle was a little heavier than she prefers--but balanced so well she'd definitely hunt with it!

Was that with of without the pink electrical tape on the muzzle ??
The devil made me say that? SORRY wink

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Wow, that would have been a worthwhile visit. Too bad Jack wasn’t any smarter than shooting a 270 with a Leupold scope. I’m sure he would have learned a lot more about guns and stuff if he could have viewed the Campfire before he made so many mistakes...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Poconojack,

Yeah, that's ring placement is supposed to be a no-no these days, but O'Connor wrote that .30-06 was one of his most reliable rifles, always retaining over long periods.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Seems like it would depend on the design particulars of a given scope. Like optimum rear ring placement on 6x Leupolds being a bit different than other Leupold models

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those are some great looking rifles. Lots of character. In my opinion, synthetic stocks simply can’t have the character of walnut.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No telling what the torque on that ring is though. Wonder too, how forgiving a steel tube vs aluminum is when over-torqued moderately above recommended. When did scope manufacturers switch from steel to aluminum anyways?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
GunDoc,

I dunno if Brad often takes the rifle out in public, and let's other people shoot it. He lived on the other side of Washington state from the O'Connor Center, and the rifle is generally locked up in the display case so visitors can look at it.

Here's a photo the buttplate. It's a little smaller than many steel buttplates of the era:
[Linked Image]

I was typing faster than I was thinking. "Often" was a poor word choice. I remember reading and seeing pictures that the rifle was "out in public" for the unveiling of the JOC tribute rifles, perhaps at SHOT or the NRA annual meetings? I remember reading a thread or article where Bradford was going to take it hunting (antelope?) and was confirming zero. I've read a few other articles wherein people had the opportunity to shoot it.

You are right that it probably isn't "often." My point is that it happens at least occasionally, and I do applaud the concept.

On a similar note, it seems the caretakers of Duane Allman's Gibson Les Paul "Gold Top" sometimes allow it to be taken out in public and played. I applaud that as well.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw and handled the rifle at the RMEF Show, in Reno, last year, I believe.
It was an awesome experience.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Poconojack

Here's another of O'Connor's favorite rifles, a .30-06 on a Mauser action he called his "pet of pets," being aimed by Chet. It's in the same case as the .270 (and a 28-gauge side-by-side and a custom .458 Winchester), so we weighed it too. It went right around 9 pounds, and Jack used it for some sheep hunting, as well as a bunch of other stuff. In fact he took a 43+ Dall ram with it, which is also in the museum, so he did not strictly use light rifles even for mountain hunting.

[Linked Image]

Interesting how close that front ring is to the turret.

I’d bet that nothing on any of Jack O’Connor’s guns was ever torqued.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gringo Loco,

The big transition from steel to aluminum tubes took place in the 1950's in the USA, but in Europe it took considerably longer. I know some European scope companies were using steel tubes (at least as an option) into the 1990's, and maybe a little later.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you sir.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
That rifle is completely inadequate, I'm shocked any user would take game with it. Where is the 26 inch tube chambered in .300 ClavicleKiller, with at minimum 4x-20x 50mm? I mean, how would you make those frequent 600 yard shots?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prm
Those are some great looking rifles. Lots of character. In my opinion, synthetic stocks simply can’t have the character of walnut.

prm

I understand. I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate Blued Steel and Gorgeous Walnut.......

However, over time people and 'character' change.

There was a time Model A s and T s and 32 Ford's were top of the line.

WHO wants one for a Daily driver today ? ?

Today I appreciate Synthetic stocks that are STABLE and S S . Taste Change.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Maybe even JOC would turn in his version of a 270 for something lighter in stainless.

By Job, I think you're onto something there !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I need to head down there next summer. A bit of a drive from Sandpoint but it looks very worthwhile.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would have loved to have gone to that.

I was taught to be a Jack O'Connor fan, by my father who had been inspired and admired the man for decades. I was a Jack O-Connor fan without having ever read anything the guy wrote when I think about it, but my father taught me about it - the superioty of the Mauser action, the pre-64 Winchester, the .270 cartridge and more, scopes, and stock design and high velocity over bullet weight, his love of hunting jackrabbits in the desert - also the importance of the right bullet type, which drive my father to reload cartridges when it wasn't common to do so, and to teach me how to do it.

It was only once the internet came along and it was easier to get books from overseas, or read old articles online, that I got to read the man, and I found my naive regard was not misplaced. The man's hunting life spanned the most interesting period of hunting history in many of the places he hunted, and he thought the hunting rifle worthy of true appreciation in its own right, like I did.

I was taught to be an Elvis fan as well, and when I went to the USA a few years ago I went to Graceland. I wish I could have gone to the JOC centre as well, but I didn't know about it at that time.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 06/21/19.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Enjoyed reading your post JB and the ensuing comments. Like many here I have read quite a few of Jack O'Connor's magazine articles and books and certainly his writing influenced my taste in rifles to some degree. Thinking back, also recall how we would refer to Jacks writings when sitting around the fire after a days hunt and talking about our "dream" rifles that we were planning to build. Hope I get an opportunity to visit the Hunting Heritage & Education Center in Lewiston, gotta add that one to my list.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Maybe even JOC would turn in his version of a 270 for something lighter in stainless.

By Job, I think you're onto something there !!

Jerry

Maybe a Kimber in 6.5 CM

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.