Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not the sharpest tool in the shed (prob’ly runs in the family).

In his 60’s, medically retired, living off SS and a modest pension. Lost everything, sold everything to meet expenses and hang onto the house. Sold off his four-wheeler too. Now can barely walk, needs an ATV to get into the woods to hunt. Credit blown, wants to borrow $6,000.

Finds a site on the web, they deposit an ostensible check in his account, ask him to go the same day and draw $800 of it in prepaid WalMart cash cards and provide the necessary numbers to them for “loan-insurance” or some such. He does, the check they deposited bounced, my relative is out $800.

More to the point his account at the bank is now -$800 because he was already broke.

His wife found out after the fact, closed her husband’s account, reported the number ncident to the local Sherrif’s Dept.

I’m surprised the bank let my relative draw on the just deposited “loan” check at all as the company in question had already been Red-flagged by the BB Bureau.

So now his account balance is lower than -$700. This guy has had strokes and ain’t all there.

Does he have any way out, any legal recourse?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be surprised if he did. No government entity suffered a loss so they couldn't care less, but if they have something to gain by prosecuting the scammers then it might happen. I do think hell would freeze over first though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sad deal

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
This guy has had strokes and ain’t all there.

First, have his wife take away his access to the internet. He can't be trusted for one second on the internet, obviously. He'll do it again, and again, and again, unless he's not allowed to touch a keyboard.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hate to hear that about him.

The chances of any sort of recovery are slim to none.

He obviously needs someone to help him manage his affairs now.

The thugs that do that to elderly/incapable people are lower than snakechit. mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
love'em or hate'em, but Wells Fargo fraud unit has saved my arse a couple of times.

literally, the last time the potential was for a five figure loss.

county, state was involved. they have no clue.

it had nothing to do with the internet.

it was digital assignments.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Boy his wife was pissed, they call her husband again, some number from Ohio, she puts it on speaker phone, the guy has a heavy Indian accent. She at least got to call ‘em “a bunch of fuqqing sand niqqers” , she said the sad part was tho they could hear another guy in the process of scamming some poor lady the exact same way.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
800dollars insurance on 6 thousand? Jay-sus

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds like he doesn't need to be in the woods with a gun anyway since you said he ain't all there.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They sold off his guns too, wife won’t let him get any more, bought him a crossbow instead (legal for him where he is).

Sad part is she was controlling the money, budgeting spending money into his account, just had no idea he could be scammed into a negative hundreds of dollars like that (me either).

Other sad part is, she has been budgeting towards being in a position to get a four wheeler in a couple of years anyhow, she needs one too to bring in firewood.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MLC
Sounds like he doesn't need to be in the woods with a gun anyway since you said he ain't all there.
In my state you can be crazy and legally blind and buy a hunting license. These scammers call me all the time and I take up as much time with them as I can. I have a name and social security #, address, phone number, credit card # and every thing they might ask for written down on an envelope by the phone so I can tie them up for a while and keep my story straight. They get kind of huffy about it when the credit card won't go through. One of the funniest is the Reverend Mannaseh Jordan who calls with a long diatribe about the money I have coming if I will remember the number 47 and send him $47.47 or 100.47 or even 1000.47 and send it so he can get a spell off of me. I really enjoy talking with them and trying to get my card to go through.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Not the sharpest tool in the shed (prob’ly runs in the family).

In his 60’s, medically retired, living off SS and a modest pension. Lost everything, sold everything to meet expenses and hang onto the house. Sold off his four-wheeler too. Now can barely walk, needs an ATV to get into the woods to hunt. Credit blown, wants to borrow $6,000.

Finds a site on the web, they deposit an ostensible check in his account, ask him to go the same day and draw $800 of it in prepaid WalMart cash cards and provide the necessary numbers to them for “loan-insurance” or some such. He does, the check they deposited bounced, my relative is out $800.

More to the point his account at the bank is now -$800 because he was already broke.

His wife found out after the fact, closed her husband’s account, reported the number ncident to the local Sherrif’s Dept.

I’m surprised the bank let my relative draw on the just deposited “loan” check at all as the company in question had already been Red-flagged by the BB Bureau.

So now his account balance is lower than -$700. This guy has had strokes and ain’t all there.

My Mom got caught up in all of this. Thanks to an on the job bank employee I got a call. Since I insisted with my mother to be on her account I had the right to close the account and that is what I did. The fuggers were from Jamaica. I hate every last person on that god forsaken $hithole island. I had some help from the local police chief but he can't go to Jamaica to arrest anyone. The FBI is supposed to help us out but they were too busy investigating the Trumps to help out just an ordinary citizen.

Your cousin is SOL.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m sorry he lost money, sorry bastards

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get some sort of scam via junk email spam 3 or 4 times a day.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's a Jamaica scam that didn't work out too well. This guy had friends in high places.

BUSINESS
Jamaican phone scammer picked the wrong 90-year-old: A former FBI director
By TOM JACKMAN
| WASHINGTON POST |
FEB 12, 2019 | 8:20 AM
| WASHINGTON

Jamaican phone scammer picked the wrong 90-year-old: A former FBI director
William Webster, seen in 2002, is a former director of the FBI and CIA, the only person ever to hold both jobs. He's also a former federal district and appeals court judge. When he called a phone scammer back, the FBI was listening in. (Lawrence Jackson/AP)
The caller with the Jamaican accent told the 90-year-old Washington man he had won $72 million and a new Mercedes Benz in the Mega Millions lottery, but the man needed to send $50,000 in taxes and fees to get his money. He also told the Washington man he'd done his research on the top winner.

"You're a great man," the Jamaican man cajoled. "You was a judge, you was an attorney, you was a basketball player, you were in the U.S. Navy, homeland security. I know everything about you. I even seen your photograph, and I seen your precious wife."

The Jamaican's research didn't research everything. He didn't learn that the man he was calling was the former director of the FBI and the CIA, the only person ever to hold both jobs. And he didn't know that William Webster would call him back the next day with the FBI listening in. In that reverse sting, Webster obtained the man's real name and email address, while stringing him along and never quite committing to sending the $50,000.

"It's going to take me a few weeks to come up with it," said Webster, also a former federal district and appeals court judge. "I'm as anxious as you are to get the money, but it's going to take me a while to do it."

"You can pay a part in the meantime," parried the caller, later identified as Keniel Thomas.

"How much is a part?" asked Webster.

"You can come with about $20,000 in the meantime," Thomas said in the recorded call that is part of the court record.

The conversation was one of many calls that Thomas made to Webster or his wife, Lynda, in 2014, including one in which he promised a bullet "straight to the head" of Lynda.

Thomas was then charged in 2014 with attempted extortion. But Thomas wasn't arrested until late 2017, after he landed in New York on a flight from Jamaica. He pleaded guilty in October and faced a prison term of 33 to 41 months under federal sentencing guidelines. But with Webster and his wife in the courtroom, U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell on Friday added another 2½ years to Thomas' sentence, giving him nearly six years to serve. Howell said that the scam qualified as "organized criminal activity" and that Thomas posed "a threat to a family member of the victim."

"The threat of death to another person is a most serious crime," Webster told the judge, "for which Mr. Thomas is about to pay. ... We truly hope that word has spread into the criminal community of scammers that our Federal Bureau of Investigation and other law enforcement agencies are clamping down on such predatory behaviors."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
LMFAO

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
LMFAO

Of course you are, on account of you work hard at being an a$$hole <"shrug">

I am wondering why you posted easily identifiable photos of your young son on that "malicious stranger" thread.

Not something I woulda done.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In my state you can be crazy and legally blind and buy a hunting license.

Impaired people ain't always overtly so. This guy still drives well and holds rational conversations.

Mostly I'm impressed with his wife, going on forty years, fiercely loyal and protective towards her husband through his hard times. I only wish mine had stuck with me like that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Use of 'cloned' fake caller ID numbers showing as a U.S.A. and even a local call is standard practice with offshore scammer operations anymore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We truly hope that word has spread into the criminal community of scammers that our Federal Bureau of Investigation and other law enforcement agencies are clamping down on such predatory behaviors."

When they prey on royalty.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.