Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I had been on the waiting list for one of the new Ruger Wrangler revovlers for a few weeks now. Decided I wasn't going to get one for a while and ordered a SS Single Six Convertible 5.5" revolver. Literally 15 minutes later my phone buzzs and I check it, Smokey Mountain Guns have the Wranglers in stock. I call them and they had got in 200 in last week and had 39 left. I went ahead and ordered a Bronze colored one. Picked it up today at my FFL and couldn't be more impressed with it. Just as tight tolerances as the Single Six I picked up today and shoots about the same size groups also. Didn't get to play with it a lot, about 92 degrees at my place today and am going back at it in the morning. But first impressions is a whole lot more gun than the $179 it took to get it to my house. By the way, Smokey Mountain Guns are really great people to deal with also. The lady who answers the phone with questions and orders is very knowledgeable and helpful. Even called me back to make sure everything was like we talked about.

GB1

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
By the way, I would think twice before buying more than one gun the same day. Didn't know it, but another form has to be filled out and this one goes to county sheriff with serial numbers and description of firearms purchased. Never ran into this before.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 06/28/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am still waiting to find one around here. They go as fast the the LGS gets them in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
By the way, I would think twice before buying more than one gun the same day. Didn't know it, but another form has to filled out and this one goes to county sheriff with serial numbers and description of firearms purchased. Never ran into this before.

I learned this several years ago. A small county sheriff might care but I don't know what the big departments do to track this.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Played with one that had just come into a chain outdoor shop the other day. They wouldn't take the trigger lock off for me but I wiggled the cylinder some and checked out the cylinder/barrel gap.

Gave me the impression of being a very solid little revolver. The side of the hammer looks a bit weird but damn. For under $200 bucks it's pretty good if they all shoot like Chuck's.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fingered one a few weeks back.

Better than I expected. Trigger was meh...but if it shoots well, it’ll be a winner.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Got truck gun written all over it.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Fingered one a few weeks back.

Better than I expected. Trigger was meh...but if it shoots well, it’ll be a winner.

The trigger on this one measured right at 3 1/4 # before I shot it and barely had any perceivable creep to it. Not a bad trigger at all for a new gun. The only real issue and not really much to complain about was some cylinder pin tolerance. You can feel the cylinder move if you shake the gun. Not much , but it is there. None at all in the Single Six and it does have a better trigger. Probably just not as much time spend fitting and polishing on the $179 compared to the $550 gun. But for some reason I'm more stoked about the Wrangler than the Single Six. Guess I just expected the Single Six to be the quality of firearm it was, wasn't expecting what I got with the Wrangler for the money. Been a long time since I thought I got more than what I paid for.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 06/28/19.
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Played with one that had just come into a chain outdoor shop the other day. They wouldn't take the trigger lock off for me but I wiggled the cylinder some and checked out the cylinder/barrel gap.

Gave me the impression of being a very solid little revolver. The side of the hammer looks a bit weird but damn. For under $200 bucks it's pretty good if they all shoot like Chuck's.

Yeah, I don't know what the reason for the recesses in the side of the hammer. They don't do anything and would have to be impossible to tell any difference in weight savings for no more than what metal is missing. Not done like that on the Single Six.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to get my mitts on one just for giggles. For some reason, nobody nearby has been able to get one in. Had a couple shops tell me there's a lot of people looking for them.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kwg020
By the way, I would think twice before buying more than one gun the same day. Didn't know it, but another form has to filled out and this one goes to county sheriff with serial numbers and description of firearms purchased. Never ran into this before.

I learned this several years ago. A small county sheriff might care but I don't know what the big departments do to track this.

kwg

A copy goes to the BATF.
It's been the law since 1968.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61426/download

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/fact-sheet/fact-sheet-multiple-firearms-sales

"The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees to report multiple sales or other dispositions of handguns to the same purchaser. In accordance with 18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3), the sale or disposition of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time or within five consecutive business days of each other.

In August 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was authorized by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) under information collection 1140-0100 (Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Certain Rifles - ATF Form 3310.12) to initiate similar reporting requirements on the multiple sale or other disposition of certain rifles from licensed firearms dealers in the four border states of Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas."

Last edited by Snyper; 06/29/19.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

A copy goes to the BATF.
It's been the law since 1968.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61426/download

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/fact-sheet/fact-sheet-multiple-firearms-sales

"The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees to report multiple sales or other dispositions of handguns to the same purchaser. In accordance with 18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3), the sale or disposition of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time or within five consecutive business days of each other.

In August 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was authorized by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) under information collection 1140-0100 (Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Certain Rifles - ATF Form 3310.12) to initiate similar reporting requirements on the multiple sale or other disposition of certain rifles from licensed firearms dealers in the four border states of Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas."

I have bought two suppressors in the last year and had to take paperwork to the county sheriff. My FFL probably said BATF and I just heard county sheriff. My wife says I have selective hearing, but I don't know because I can only hear her now and than. wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 68 invisible), 14,516 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,146
Posts18,542,568
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.