Hop To
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone might be able to help. I have a friend who recently bought a mauser 98 bolt action second hand and has been happily firing away with it. I had a look at it on the weekend, and with an empty chamber, it is difficult to open when closed. Lifting the bolt is fine, but pulling the bolt back is really sticky. After it has moved a short distance it moves very freely, as it should.

Has anyone else had this happen or know what the cause may be? I personally haven't had this happen with any of my rifles so have no experience to offer him. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just for the fun of it, if it has a scope base in the front ring, check that the mounting screw is protruding just a wee and is rubbing on the locking lug.

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"I have a friend who recently bought a mauser 98 bolt action second hand and has been happily firing away with it."

So it works OK when loaded and firing but not when cycled empty?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Remove the striker and check with the empty bolt. If it is still sticky, you will have eliminated the bolt sleeve and cocking piece as the cause and you can proceed from there. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The follower may be dragging on the bolt too, but I've never experienced such resistance that I'd describe as "hard". I suppose it's possible the action may be warped a bit or bowed by pressure from the screws holding it in the stock.

I'd pull it apart, check to see if it still binds, disassemble the bolt and clean it inside and out, then lube the striker spring with Dri-Slide or other non-gumming lube, then apply lithium grease to all contact surfaces on the bolt: back of lugs, camming points, sear, etc. I'd do all that even if there was no sign of trouble; do it to my new rifles too.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The screws in the rear base can also cause bolt-sticking on a 98, partly because the bridge is relatively thin. The thickness can vary slightly due to various factors, even polishing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The screws in the rear base can also cause bolt-sticking on a 98, partly because the bridge is relatively thin. The thickness can vary slightly due to various factors, even polishing.

That's what I was thinking. I have a CA Ridgeline that was binding with a 6X SS on top. The scope was bent just enough to actually bind the action a bit upon opening the bolt when it was torqued down. Put a new scope on it and it works as it is supposed to.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Try loosening the rear action screw and see if it still does it. Could be a bedding issue and it doesn't take much to bend and bind a 98

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thank you gentlemen, i will pass on your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,905
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.