Print Thread
Hop To
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I always wanted to hunt Black Bear in the Fall season and am at the point to do it. I'm getting up there in age and not in fantastic shape so I am thinking of probably sitting in a stand (boring), but definately couldn't follow dogs, and not sure of spot and stalk. I don't have enough time/money for a Vancouver or Alaska hunt. I am thinking of Maine, Manitoba,Alberta, or Ontario. I guess you need a passport for Canada now?? I know there are some big bruins in Pennsylvania and Minnesota but don't know about guides. Just wondering if someone has some experience or recomendations. I've plenty of rifles to choose from, would probably take a Marlin if hunting from a stand as I have one in each 35Rem, 444, and 45/70. What say ye?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider Duwayne Adams in San Manuel, Arizona � an excellent guide and outfitter. When I hunted Coues deer with him years ago, he was 100% on bear. I think that he's still in business.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What's the name of that old outlaw that used to hunt cactus bears on the San Carlos?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you referring to Ben Lilly?

"Good enough" isn't.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nope, another old outlaw, not as old as Lilly. Worked out of Globe. It just slips my mind. Imagine that. People could never believe some of those big bears came out of the desert.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know whom you are speaking of, but the name escapes me also.

San Carlos is a beautiful chunk of land, can't wait to hunt it again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The guys first name is Nathan. I'm not saying how long it took to come up with that, let alone a last name. Maybe Ellison, but that doesn't seem quite right, but I guess it is.

Quite a contrast to SE Alaska. A guy could get warm and dry down there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be awful surprised if Duwayne Adams couldn't tell you the name, right-off.

"Good enough" isn't.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If Ont is a choice I would give Merv a ring from [url= www.mervsbearguideing I went with him a couple of years ago and cannot fault him.I rang loads of people and he just seemed "straight".I got myself a lovely Bear thats on the wall in front of me as i type this.
Good luck and post on how you got on.
Dave

Last edited by UKdave; 04/25/07.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.homestead.com/conmans/

Give this guy a think. Mike Noles is a great guy and works very hard for his clients.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
In Maine, nobody better than Dave Tobey, in Grand Lake Stream. P.O. Box 74, Tel. (207) 796-2684. If he has a spot available for this Fall, you'll get better service and attention and have more chances for a good trophy with him than anyone I've known, heard of, or read about.

The Wise said: "This cannot be done". The Fool came, and did it.
S
S
I definitely recommend Slipp Brothers, Ltd., 5834 Route 101, Hoyt, New Brunswick E5L 1Z3 (Tel. No. For Ron (506)687-4625: Duane (506) 368-7747). Ron and Duane have been trapping the area all their lives. They have 60 bait stands that they bait with meat all year. The tree stands are well made easy to get into and very sturdy. Last year Ron and Duane had 75 hunters and 50 bears were shot. There were four in our May 1st group and three of us shot bears the first night. One was a real nice Spring boar 300 pounds and well over 6 feet. You will get your bear with Ron & Duane.

Good Luck,
Silver Bear

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
www.fredlundguideservice.com

Northern BC hunting for spring or fall bears....lots of great animals and Aaron Fredlund (outfitter) is a workhorse and will make sure you have an enjoyable and successful time. He has some openigns for 2007 right now...get ahold of him and he'll treat ya right.

No passport needed for driving across the border yet....but for air flight you'll need it....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ken, Duwayne is very much in business & has expanded into other states. To my knowledge he stopped guiding black bear in Arizona. The monster in his house has hair slippage as did many shot by his clients. That & snakes & perhaps other reasons may have influenced his decision. Since he guides in other states he may may offer bear hunts there or perhaps have decided to start again with all the interest in big black bears.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I hunted with www.duckmountainoutfitters.com a couple of years ago and quite a few of my friends have hunted with them also with great success. They're in western manitoba.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One to avoid at all costs is Abbott Brook Guide Service in Maine.

Total joke. Great scenery, however, the guides (especially the owner) could really care less is their clients get bear.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've hunted with Dave Tobey and agree, he is one of the best in Maine. He's probably booked up though.

Another great guide is Bob Parker, owner of Stoney Brook Outfitters (www.stoneybrookoutfitters.com). He has plenty of good references, and usually comes up with some dandy black bear (400 and 500 pounders!). He's got excellent dogs or if you prefer, he can set you in a stand over bait. He does both Maine and NB. You can't go wrong with him.

William Clunie

William Clunie
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nick: I'm part owner in a real nice hunting concern in Maine specializing in black bear hunting. PM me if you like and I'll give you the info. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (1lesfox, 17CalFan, 163bc, 1badf350, 160user, 06hunter59, 32 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.