Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Wrong

Last edited by jmo1754; 07/10/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will be in the bleachers at the Sonoma NHRA nationals on the 26th for Friday night qualifying.

NOTHING ELSE COMPARES.

One of those things that must be seen and felt in person the be believed.
Audio and video of this spectacle is a pitiful joke.
They're at about 11,000 horsepower now with speeds pushing 340 mph.

I absolutely love the Nitro Funny Cars and have since the 1980"s

Proud NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
To put the nitro car speed in perspective, if a nitro car launches from the line as you pass it going 200 MPH in your car, the nitro car will beat you through the 1/4 mile.

TOP FUEL ACCELERATION PUT INTO PERSPECTIVE
Top Fuel dragsters are the quickest accelerating racing cars in the world and the fastest sanctioned category of drag racing, with the fastest competitors reaching speeds of 335 miles per hour (539 km/h) and finishing the 1,000 foot (305 m) runs in 3.64 seconds. Here are some fuel facts.
* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (11,000 HP) than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.
* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.
* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.
* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acce leration approaches 8 G's.
* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 480 revolutions from light to light!
* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.
* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.
0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)
0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)
6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin ‘chutes at 300 MPH An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth . . quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.
The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 3,628 seconds for the 1000' track (2018, Clay Millican). The top speed record is 336.57 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the run (2018, Tony Schumacher).
Putting this all into perspective:
You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.
The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you.
He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only cau ght, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1000 foot long race!
That's acceleration

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, was there in 88' for the first event when Amato and Oswald were rockin the track.

Haven't been in several decades but your correct there is nothing like when the surrounding hills are echoing those dragons roaring their fire. I can only imagine what its like today.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The average person cannot comprehend.
The sound, shockwaves and overwhelming violence cannot be described.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its all about the seismic waves man.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes, the bad runs are more entertaining than the good runs...

Proud NRA Life Member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I will be in the bleachers at the Sonoma NHRA nationals on the 26th for Friday night qualifying.

NOTHING ELSE COMPARES.

One of those things that must be seen and felt in person the be believed.
Audio and video of this spectacle is a pitiful joke.
They're at about 11,000 horsepower now with speeds pushing 340 mph.

I absolutely love the Nitro Funny Cars and have since the 1980"s

I sure miss those races Sal.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish we could share a few beers.

Proud NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I used to work the aid cars for the dragsters, motor cross, crotch-rocket races, etc......I’m well aware of the raw power and shear violence of those dragsters. I never could enjoy it since I knew that we’d be busy, we always were. I wasn’t a gear head but I appreciated the racers courage and the intelligence and teamwork that went into a well-oiled racing team. I marveled at the number of people willing to put themselves into harms way each race night and I cheered at the quick flight time of Airlift Northwest. We got real good at setting up an LZ and packaging up the patient for the flight to Harborview. After working there I had lost any desire for a motorcycle or race cars. I’d leave their with a head splitting headache from the noise, smell and stress...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turning it into work is tough.
A half a day is about all I can take.
Its overwhelming.
There is nothing louder.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Stood at the finish line next to the wall at the Winternationals at Pomona one year. It was not just loud, it is a physical and mental experience. You are buffeted by sound waves. If you are not used to it, it is a confusing sensation. Jim Dunn, of Funny Car Summer was an engineer on our department. My first engineer Dick Stirling was his crew chief for a while. Dunn was a character. He worked at a kind of slow station in a high hazard commercial area of Los Angeles County. The city kind of closed up at night and he could tinker with some his equipment or the car hauler. He would do duty trades and benefit time to get to the races.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Agreed. As soon as you do something for money it takes a lot of the fun out of it. I have several buddies that made fishing or hunting their career but it robbed them of the joy they once felt for it. I really did marvel at the nasty grinders that we’d clean up only to have another group ready to go once the track was cleaned up. It was the loudest most intense recreational activity I’ve ever seen. I did have a good time at the races and I learned that there’s no way I’d do what those guys did. I was satisfied sitting in the air conditioned rig waiting for the call. We did have front row seats every weekend which was cool.

Enjoy the races on the 26th. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everything you said, like always is the truth.

I too have friends that went into guiding as a profession and that seemed to ruin the love of their lives.

I hope to meet up with you some day.
Of all the people that I've interacted with on the fire for the last 13 years you are one of the best.

Thanks for being on my side all of these years.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of those facts are stretched a bit.
Such as fuel used and the 747 HP
Just sayin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn short races.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just the word "Nitro" sends a chill down my spine. If you don't get the same feeling, then you need to go to a drag race. It is awesome.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smarquez
Stood at the finish line next to the wall at the Winternationals at Pomona one year. It was not just loud, it is a physical and mental experience. You are buffeted by sound waves. If you are not used to it, it is a confusing sensation. Jim Dunn, of Funny Car Summer was an engineer on our department. My first engineer Dick Stirling was his crew chief for a while. Dunn was a character. He worked at a kind of slow station in a high hazard commercial area of Los Angeles County. The city kind of closed up at night and he could tinker with some his equipment or the car hauler. He would do duty trades and benefit time to get to the races.

Was at Firebird Raceway in Boise, ID the day Big Jim Dun in the Fireman's Quickie did a burn out in the staging lane The throttle stuck and he crashed into the souvenir stand at the end of the staging lane. I believe it killed one and injured several. Was the end of his driving career and a truly unfortunate event.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Black powder. Better

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Just the word "Nitro" sends a chill down my spine. If you don't get the same feeling, then you need to go to a drag race. It is awesome.

And the smell - sends adrenaline coursing through my veins.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,215
Posts18,504,008
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.