Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My daughter, who is 25, wants a handgun for home protection (she's not married, and no kids are around). She has a good amount of experience with handguns. After a good deal of thought, I believe a .38 shooting +P's would be perfect. She strongly prefers a revolver, rather than an auto, due to the revolver's simplicity and reliability, and I agree with this idea. I'm thinking something like a Ruger LCRX, or a Smith 442, would be the ticket. Thoughts (other than an auto)?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’d get a S&W revolver with 3” barrel. I believe it’s a model 60. I have one in my safe. To lazy to dig it out.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You said " home protection " so why have a short-barreled revolver if concealment isn't an issue. A better choice would be a S&W K-frame such as a 15, 19, 66, etc. with a 4" barrel.

RS

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Was thinking smaller frame for a woman. But nothing wrong with a 4”.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RipSnort
You said " home protection " so why have a short-barreled revolver if concealment isn't an issue. A better choice would be a S&W K-frame such as a 15, 19, 66, etc. with a 4" barrel.

RS

^^^This^^^

Less recoil and easier to aim than a j frame.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought 2 police trade model 10's for my daughters this year.
10 and 16, they won't be taking them soon, and I paid a bit too much,
But they keep going up in value.

Any decent swc is going to be nasty to be shot with, and the loads get better from there.

The heavy barreled guns are really nice to shoot, and grip styles and shapes are available
to make anyone happy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
6" K-frame with a tritium front based on your OP.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The first thing I though was a Ruger SP101 in 38 or 357 shooting 38 special loads and a set of Hogue grips.
The extra mass makes them a bit easier to get extra shots off and a set of grips sized a bit smaller will likely help control.

Let her choose what fits!

Good luck!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
RipSnort has it right, a 4" K-frame in 38 Special or if a 357 Magnum is selected, the medium velocity Remington 125gr medium velocity Golden Sabre is a very controllable load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveman
My daughter, who is 25, wants a handgun for home protection (she's not married, and no kids are around). She has a good amount of experience with handguns. After a good deal of thought, I believe a .38 shooting +P's would be perfect. She strongly prefers a revolver, rather than an auto, due to the revolver's simplicity and reliability, and I agree with this idea. I'm thinking something like a Ruger LCRX, or a Smith 442, would be the ticket. Thoughts (other than an auto)?

A 4" model 10 or 64 sounds perfect for home protection. Maybe something different for CC.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Make sure she shoots whatever she plans to buy first. For me personally i hate shooting the lightweight j frames with the stock grips. The metal piece going up the middle of the grip beats the web between my thumb and first finger and is quite uncomfortable to me after a few shots of even mid level 38 and forget about 357! I actually prefer to shoot my 44 Super Redhawk and Taurus Tracker over these little j frames. I do however love my SP 101's in 38, 357, and 327 Fed mag. I know better grips can be had for the j frames, but in my experiences with newer shooters, especially females is that once a particular gun "hurts to shoot" or "kicks to much" they will always remember that and will be hesitant to use it and struggle with shooting it accurately going forward, regardless of grip upgrades etc.

Last edited by marktheshark; 07/17/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Should also add that i recently went through a similar situation as the OP with my sister. Wife and i had her shoot the following from my collection over a few weeks:

Smith 637 38
Smith Bodyguard 38
Glock 19,26, 43 9mm
Ruger lcp 380
Ruger Lcr 38
Ruger lc9s 9mm
Ruger sp101 38
Taurus g2c 9mm
Sig p365 9mm
Smith shield 9mm
Smith shield ez 380.

She disliked all the revolvers we tried and ended up liking the shield ez the best, manipulated and shot it well and went and purchased one. My wife also has hated every revolver she has had in her hands, snubbies the worst. She usually carries either a Shield EZ or a Purple taurus g2c. Not a huge fan of the 380 as a defensive round but wife shoots the Ez extremely well and my sis is getting there with continuing practice, so shot placement with quality ammo should do the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small, lightweight revolvers suck for occasional shooters. For that reason, the guns usually end up in the nightstand drawer and rarely see the light of day, much less a shooting range. Bigger revolvers are somewhat better, but still not great for rapid fire.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
RipSnort has it right, a 4" K-frame in 38 Special or if a 357 Magnum is selected, the medium velocity Remington 125gr medium velocity Golden Sabre is a very controllable load.

You nailed it. On the gun and the ammo.

More people need to know about that round.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Home protection:

Ruger LCRX3" in .357 Magnum...reason is it weighs a little more than the .38 Special as the frame is steel instead of aluminum. Load it with whatever she feels comfortable shooting. Excellent grips and the DA trigger pull is much better than the S&W J-frames...

Any 3" S&W K-frame with a round butt. Model 10, 13, 64 or 65... The round butt has more grip options for those with smaller hands. Have an action job done with a 13# trigger return spring and teach her how to shoot double action. (These will be used guns)

Ruger GP-100 3" or 4".... Excellent sights and can be easily changed out including night sights. Lots of grip options and usually a very good DA trigger pull... This would be my #1 choice...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Since she will not be carrying, but will likely keep it in her nightstand, the 3 or 4-inch barrel does sound like a better choice. They are definitely easier to shoot more accurately. I'll have to look around to see what is available for a reasonable price, but it seems that the longer barrels cost a good bit more than the snubbies..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

First off, don't make the all too common mistake of picking a revolver that's optimized for concealed carry if its mission is home defense. That's like choosing a backpacker's cooking set for your kitchen cooking needs. Makes no sense whatsoever. You don't want to be cooking your daily meals on a lightweight, portable, alcohol stove, and (for the same reason) you don't want to choose a lightweight, compact, five shot revolver for home defense. If it's for home defense, you can afford to be luxurious in your choice, and get an all-steel, mid-sized, revolver, like a K-Frame S&W or a mid-frame Ruger, with a four inch heavy barrel. These types of choices are many times easier to shoot well, enjoyable to shoot, and easier to manipulate than any revolver optimized for concealed carry.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dale06
Was thinking smaller frame for a woman. But nothing wrong with a 4”.

Nope. Small frame revolvers are not designed for small framed people. They are designed to maximize all-day concealed carry (at the expense of shootability).

Since that's not an issue she needs to deal with, she has the luxury of choosing something easier to handle, like a mid-frame, all-steel, four inch barrel, revolver.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Davemen,
JMO---training is more important than equipment. "...a good amount of experience...."? Some people have 10 years experience, others have 1 years experience repeated 10 times...don't let simple range-time be a criteria for determining someone's ability to judge what's best. A revolver may be the way to go for her, however shooting it competently is not a matter of "simplicity"---it's considerably more difficult than an autoloader and reliability isn't a black and white issue (a stoppage with a reliever usually requires recourse to a gunsmith). I'm sure that you know that and have probably already taken that into consideration.

Getting involved with a group like "Babes with Bullets," or "Girl with a Gun" would be far more important than whatever piece of equipment you and she decide upon IMO. A lot, if not most of the shooting schools (Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, John Farnam, etc.) have women's only classes. I've learned the hard way that spouses and parents (irrespective of their shooting creds) are often the worst people to train and equip their children or significant other. Again, I'm sure that you already know that and have taken that into consideration.

I'm guessing that if you talk with any of the participants here on the campfire that have been behind the counter in a retail gun shop environment, they'll caution you about her picking a gun because it "feels" comfortable. "Handling" and "shooting" are different phenoms---and "comfort" changes when shooting. Letting a relatively new shooter pick a gun because if "feels" comfortable at the gun counter is like letting Stevie Wonder pick your home decor.

JMO-YMMV----however, were I buying a revolver for defense right now, the new S&W 19 Performance Center carry comp would be my choice---alittle pricey maybe, but a sweet package.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

First off, don't make the all too common mistake of picking a revolver that's optimized for concealed carry if its mission is home defense. That's like choosing a backpacker's cooking set for your kitchen cooking needs. Makes no sense whatsoever. You don't want to be cooking your daily meals on an lightweight, portable, alcohol stove, and (for the same reason) you don't want to choose a lightweight, compact, five shot revolver for home defense. If it's for home defense, you can afford to be luxurious in your choice, and get an all-steel, mid-sized, revolver, like a K-Frame S&W or a mid-frame Ruger, with a four inch heavy barrel. These types of choices are many times easier to shoot well, enjoyable to shoot, and easier to manipulate than any revolver optimized for concealed carry.

Good advice. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.