Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
After reading the article about the Big Eyes, I really am starting to mull this one over, it seems that the "Big Eyes" set up is much better for the hunter and it seems that a spotter is more geared toward rifle range work. So if you had to choose one, would you but a spotter or the Big Eyes?

[Linked Image]
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
24 views and nothing, come on some has to have an opinion

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I HAD tio choose one, assuming I was hunting wide-open country, make mine the Big Eyes, no doubt.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I beleieve that the big eyes or the way to go for long peoriods of view.My only question is for back country hunts are they more a of problem to pack in?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am heading out the door for a afternoon of bruin hunting but will give you my thoughts on this as I use both.

Running

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Mark what was the consensus?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by phoenixdawg
After reading the article about the Big Eyes, I really am starting to mull this one over, it seems that the "Big Eyes" set up is much better for the hunter and it seems that a spotter is more geared toward rifle range work. So if you had to choose one, would you but a spotter or the Big Eyes?

I've got em both and use em both quite a bit, have had a spotter of some sort for eons and the 15x56 Swaro's for about 6 years or so.

For micro mgt of horns and skulls the spotter is the way to go. By this I mean if you're under the gun to give a best guess as to what a G1 is or H is or whatever to a client and or if you really want to know for yourself then the spotter is the way to go. The big eyes can be used for this kind of thing if the critter is within fairly close range. But, once you get out there it won't hang with a good spotter even with the help of a doubler.

Now for extended periods of glassing and for finding and glassing up game there is no way a spotter can come close to competing with a set of big binos on a tripod! The big glass is tons more user friendly in terms of ease on the eyes and also in terms of being able to stay behind it for long periods of time.

For me, one the keys to finding game is to be able to stay behind glass for extended periods of time, by this I mean up to 3-4 hours (and many days up to 10 hours or so) at a time from one place glued to the glass. No way can one do this with sub par glass.

I use a doubler and some times two of them, so when I go to set up to glass I just lay it out beside me and I can get it put on very quickly if I need to.

The spotter and tripod will be lighter and hence easier to port over hill and dale.

Bottom line, I use a pair of 7x42 Swaro's no stop and then will have either my big Swaro's or a spotter with me and or both. It just depends on what my mission is for the day. And yes some times my pack does get a bit heavy via glass...grins

On spotters I have 2 of them both are Leupold and I will be adding a Leica to the pile this next year. One of my Leo's is the old hard body fixed 20 and it is one super piece of glass and if you could find one I would say latch onto it. The other spotter I have is the big Leo variable, it is nice but not the living end for me.

Glass is no place to scrimp, if one needs to I suggest they sell a rifle or two or three to own the best, whatever it takes.

Thoughts comments and or questions?

Does this make sense?

Thx

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Me too. Spotters are for looking at something you've already found. Binoculars are for finding game. In other words, scanning with a spotter will eat you up in a hurry.
For what it's worth, I've found that magnification is highly over rated. A sharper 8X, for instance, will more easily show you stuff than a 10X.
If you don't really want to carry a tripod, check out the better 12X50 class stuff. Unlike the 15X binos, the 12X class are usable w/o a tripod. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E-I've used my 7x42 Swaro's for years, and during guiding from time to time I would for a bit catch a bit of flak from a client about the guide using underpowered glass. It was always a very short amount of time...grins!

I do agree that the 12's can be hand held and the 15's really can't for the most part.

However IME a tripod is the only way to go for solid systematic glassing.

I know it costs me weight to go with a tripod, but for me and at the level I hunt and or guide I will gladly carry the extra 3 or 4 lbs that the tripod will give my pack.

For me it is a need and not a want.

Mark D

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a doubler?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan no igonorance at all, just not informed about them is all.

The doubler is basically screwed into the threads that go around the outside of the eyepiece.

Essentially it makes a 15 into a 30, it works pretty well under some light conditions but you do loose some clarity with it. Swaro sets it up to use the doubler on one eye or the other.

I've used one doubler on one eye piece and then another one the other eyepiece. It is still a 30 then but both eyes can be used as such, even though they say it isn't supposed to work.

It does for me.

Mark D

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Rick / Mark - what light weight tripods would you recommend to go along with the "Big Eye" glass? In your opinion, are the Swaro's worth the extra $'s over the Minox's? I see the Minox demos are priced at $749.00 Thanks

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
TiLug:Forgive me for throwing my two cents in,and I can't comment on the Minox, but those 15X Swaros are flat awesome. In wyoming and Alberta, bucks we knew were just bucks through 10X's leaped out in detail through the 15's so you could tell what they REALLY were.They're fantastic and well worth the price of admission, even if it hurts to pay for them.I look at it this way;every $750 you pay for less glass adds $750 to the top-end glass you will eventually buy anyway....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TiLug
Rick / Mark - what light weight tripods would you recommend to go along with the "Big Eye" glass? In your opinion, are the Swaro's worth the extra $'s over the Minox's? I see the Minox demos are priced at $749.00 Thanks

The Slick 444 Sport 2 is what I use along with a Jim White adapter, it is one top notch rig!

As far as the Minox goes agin the Swaro. I look at this way if one is big serious about this (as I am, some years I've spent close to 180 days afield) then slam dunk no contest go the way of Swaro! Now if one is gonna play around with them a bit and are not really what I would call serious then the less expensive Minox brand could warrant a look see.

I'd say compare the 2 and see what your eyes tell you, then go home and sell a couple of guns if you have to to get yourself into a set of Swaro's.

Do it right the first time is my motto.

Mark D

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 04/27/07.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks Mark, agree with ya on doing it right the first time... Guess the little Missss and kids can pitch in for fathers day:)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Minox are a spectacular value in my opinion. I mean spectacular. They really are, optically, 98% the glass the Swaro is ... or at least the ones I've compared have been. They are quite a bit heavier, bigger, and bulky, however. But at that $749 price .... Man that's a smokin' deal!

However, I went with the Swaros, and would again, for all the reasons mentioned above. The optics are better, and lots of $$ for incremental improvements in quality is nothing new to me in optics. Also, they are lighter, smaller, and the quality is apparent all around. I am not a rich man; I can only afford to buy things once. I went Swaro.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smart move there Rick.

Mark D

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not my first rodeo, Mark, and I know myself well enough to know that I was going to end up with the Swaros anyway, so why fight it? grin

I tried them all, including the 12x, and Swaro got the blue ribbon ... and my money.

rb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man I tell you I had to come about my education the hard way as well. There is no free education is there.

By the way PM me if you would like some help as to where to apply for special elk/deer tags being as you've draw the Montana tags.

Mark D

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
ok so here is what I gathered and by the way I appreciate all the insight, for really seeking out game, "big eyes" are the way to go.

Spotters are great, but really only great for looking at things once they have been found.

Minox is a great bargain, but the Swaro is best in class.

If you can afford both, it is worth owning both, but having to choose one or the other, the Big Eyes win.

Am I right or wrong?

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 257man, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,690
Posts18,534,494
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.