Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
More nooks and crannies for road salt and chemicals to get into, then the rust begins.

NEVER GIVE UP
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My truck has steps , 4 of 'em

[Linked Image]

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm holding out for the elevator...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I replaced my 2005 GMC 2500HD last year with a 2018 GMC 2500HD Duramax in the Denali package. Awesome truck. But I use it as a truck. Took it to Newfoundland and my wife and I brought back 2 bull moose. Between crop damage deer hunting and regular deer hunting, no less than a dozen deer took a ride in the back. Building a house on our 68 acers so the truck is used for a variety of chores.
Regular tail gate. It's what I want, nothing more.
I keep my vehicles clean inside and out. (My 2005 was spotless and no rust in the MI rust belt). The new tailgate is going to collect blood and stuff, salt spray, etc. It might be ok for football games and the urban assault vehicle but it's not for me. YMMV.

JD338

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
The more there is...the more there is to go wrong...

Coming soon to a pickup near you...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
... The hitch issue is real. The solution is to remove your hitch insert when you aren’t using it. That also happens to be the law in many states...

Good law.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see it as a bad thing. It's purely an option, and GM still offers the standard tailgate. I doubt many fleet buyers of 'WT' work trucks will opt for them, but if you are an older gentleman that could use some help getting into the bed, they are there for the taking. Where I live, even the full time farmers trade their trucks every three to five years, so even they probably won't wear the fancy tailgates out.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new 350s with the step and handle (all manual) are about as far as I'd care to go down that road. The old company 350 I'm diriving carries a stepladder all the time, both for under the hood AND for loading, unloading. It's a TRUCK that gets used for WORK. All those gimmicks would just get broken within days, or plugged with dust, or frozen shut at the worst possible time. No thanks.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
All those gimmicks would just get broken within days, or plugged with dust, or frozen shut at the worst possible time. No thanks.

That tail gate has way too many moving parts to be used in an actual work environment. It will be easy to find out of its practical or not, see if its offered in the next model year.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
The new 350s with the step and handle (all manual) are about as far as I'd care to go down that road. The old company 350 I'm diriving carries a stepladder all the time, both for under the hood AND for loading, unloading. It's a TRUCK that gets used for WORK. All those gimmicks would just get broken within days, or plugged with dust, or frozen shut at the worst possible time. No thanks.

but if the truck isn't used for WORK......its ok....right?......bob

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by 6mm250
The truck makers had to do it. Trucks are getting taller.

It's not so much that they are taller for ground clearance either , just taller from the bottom of the bumper to the top of the tailgate , or the bottom of the bumper to the top of the hood.

It's just to make 'em look bigger & badder going down the road. A person 6'5" can't stand flat footed on the ground and reach into the bed of a lot of today's trucks so now they're putting steps on 'em to climb up in the damn thing.

Mike

I’ve noticed that. I have a Ford that the radio antenna drags the garage door. I need a ladder to wash the damned thing. It’s ridiculous really.

My present F-350 is a good 4" taller than the one it replaced, but I attribute that to the FX-4 package.. I need a step-ladder to check the oil - which would be a ton easier if they didn't place the dipstick in the center of the engine near the firewall.. Geez.... And thank God it has the tailgate with the step available so I can at least get into the bed w/o doin' a high-jump... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah trucks are getting taller, higher off the ground. 18" and 20" wheels are the standard now. That new tailgate doesn't have anymore hinges than your cab door or really anymore crevices and everyone seems to have that rust problem worked out. Ford still having problems keeping paint on the hoods, but mostly bodies last a long time now. Sales numbers will solely dictate if this will be an option in the future. It does appear to be a handy feature. Most 4WD trucks are used like sedans most days and rarely used as a rough hauler these days.Most everyone has a trailer or two to use to haul most stuff. I have three different trailers to keep from beating up the bed of my truck that I use regularly.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
I have three different trailers to keep from beating up the bed of my truck that I use regularly.
Same here... I have five trailers that are used for various chores.. I don't mind $2000-$5000 units getting heavily used/beaten up a bit, but I do not like beating the crap out of a $70K+ truck bed.... I just leave the 5th wheel hitch in there 90% of the time.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
just don't drop the chevy gate now with a ball in, It will Dent your gate. kind of a design flaw missed on there side. Google it. lots of videos about that now.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Internal combustion engines were gimmicky at one time.

LOL
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DMc
I'm holding out for the elevator...

Some feller by the name of Tommy figured that out many moons back.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But will it work with the bumper dumper (with optional clip-on TP holder)?

[Linked Image]

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (160user, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.