Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Does anyone know if this round is no longer made?

What's the story about no one having any of these Winchester Power-Points for sale?

Been hearing for months that folks cannot find any to buy! And today when perusing the MidwayUSA site, the item description for these rounds said, "out of stock, no backorder."

So ..... Who knows the "skinny" on this ammo?

Thanks for your responses. cool

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Check your nearest K-mart. The one here was stocking Power-points and Dynapoints recently...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Went ot my local K-Mart and couldn't find any!

Your K-Mart either had/has old stock, or knows the "right people." Not my local blue store. cry

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Seems Winchester makes limited production runs lately. Too busy making ammo for Iraque I guess. And if you do find the new ones they may not be like the ones you're used to. Happened to my s.i.l recently. Always shot Power Points, after looking high and low he finally found a brick of recent vintage. Poor accuracy and numerous duds from same gun. He now shoots Aguila and Fiocchi with results comperable to
the original PPs.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Cossack, thanks for the reply.

Can you please include more details on those other rounds you mentioned? Thanks!

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
StubbleDuck, I too lamented the fact P-Points vanished off dealers shelves and wern,t replaced. I recall at the time someone posting that winchester had moved thier rimfire plant. P-Ps allways gave me great accuracy nearly as good as some of the really spendy target ammo. I found some new production power-points late last fall at my fav gun store and bought two bricks. I have not encountered any duds like Cossack has. It's getting to be prime g-squirrel shooting season here so I hope I can find more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably should put this in the "pet peeve" thread at the general campfire site, but it really annoys me when manufacturers make product changes without any explanation or announcement. John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I understand that Win moved it production to a brand spanking new facility in Louisisana, but lots of problems developed, like making ammo for the war effort, Hurricane K, etc.

Winchester Wants to sell Power Points, it just can't get around to it with a war on.

I switched to Federal/American eagles, which are prtty cheap and shoot extremely well in my CZ 452.
BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Probably should put this in the "pet peeve" thread at the general campfire site, but it really annoys me when manufacturers make product changes without any explanation or announcement. John

You got that one right! John.

Something that bugs the heck outta me is how vendors decide what we should and "will buy!" One recent example is televisions. I'm looking for a new one and don't give a damn about "HD-T.V.!" But the industry is changing (as much as I wish it wasn't so) and new T.V.'s are quite expensive compared to the old analog-style "tube-T.V.'s." And once the type of signals change in about two years, a viewer will have to buy "a box" to enable old technology (TV's)to use the new signals. Congress even handed these new monopoly powers to the T.V.-industry!

But Tinnchester Power-Points? I hope the new facility gets up and running.

When Tinnchester re-designed the 'AA' shotgun hull, I thought it was because some "suit" said it had to happen. however, what it was actually is that the tooling and machinery that made AA-type ammo wore out!, so the change was legitimate.

Hope that's the case with Power-Points.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Stopped by my local dealer this afternoon, he had eight bricks of Power Points on the shelf, I took home two.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have never been a fan of federal ammunition but I like their 38 gr .22lr gameshok load it sells for a hair over two bucks and shoots inch groups at fifty yds with two of my rifles.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A few boxes of Power POints have now arrived in Oregon. But I am not gonna buy them. The American Eagles shoot real well, and are cheaper (14 bucks for 400 rounds vs. 24 bucks for 500 rounds) Also, the CCI Velocitors shoot minute of Nitria at 100 yards too.

Maybe the loss of Power Points was good for me.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 1/2 bricks now that they got scarce. Won't be long before things return to normal, but they are coming out with a new and improved PP. New glossy flyers to boot. A little more speed, but as to what else is new, can't say.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Midway had them in stock a week or so ago, finally. I just got a bunch of bricks from them last week. Looks like they are out of bricks now! Sorry about that. I was down to my last 1/2 brick and they are the best 22lr varmit load I've found.

Matt
P
P
Winchester moved the plant that makes Power Points to Alabama (I think thats the right state) and had problems getting everything running.
There are some starting to show up at this time but I heard that they did not shoot as well as the older lots although I have not shot any myself. I would like to hear how the new lots are working for anyone out there shooting them. I checked with the ammo supplier I use and she expected them to be in the $200.00+ range per case. I still have over a case that I paid $135.00 for, about two years ago. No more plinking with Power Points....

Papa Bang
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, plant moves etc. yadda yadda... I have 3 + bricks but the old stuff. The new and "improved" may be sold in 50 round plastic boxes which of course means higher price.

The only real shortage in ammo that I know of is 223 production by federal. ATK the parent Co. has other Mil contracts which may be vulnerable if they don't fulfill the 5.56 contracts. No idea why wolf and Bear 223 is so scarce.

TM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 50 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.