Print Thread
Hop To
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
For some reason both computer (laptops) I'm running at work will no longer play youtube video's in my chrome browser. It will play them just fine with internet explorer and until a week ago played them just fine when using chrome. What gives? Anyone know? I've tried all the fixes I could find and none of them worked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a Chrome issue. If it's anything like Firefox there's a nightmare of obscure settings to wade through. An easier way might be to reset Chrome to default settings. Google "reset chrome to default settings"

Oops, just caught "at work." That's ambiguous, if you have IT people ask them. Could be corporate policy not to allow videos and if so you don't want to be messing around.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably just obsolescence.

I use a few computers that run Windows 2000 out of necessity (they're used to run special testing software), and it's getting to where they are useless on the internet. You can't run the latest browsers on them, and many websites just won't render on older browsers.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Caught my eye because I'm using 7 Pro. I usually use Firefox but keep Chrome on the drive for compatibility testing. Youtube video plays fine so it's not compatibility (unless it's something totally obscure). More likely settings.

There are moves to stop media autoplay which most find terribly annoying. but I think the OP would've figured that out.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Probably just obsolescence.

I use a few computers that run Windows 2000 out of necessity (they're used to run special testing software), and it's getting to where they are useless on the internet. You can't run the latest browsers on them, and many websites just won't render on older browsers.

Yep. MS, Google etc. etc. have been gearing up for the funeral of Win 7 on Jan 1. Backwards compatibility is a thing of the past.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know people hate it but move to windows 10. It works fine if you learn how to use it. Biggest problem was I had to replace some of the programs use because they would not run.
If you do not want to do that then buy a Mac. Mac is a lot less trouble.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I caught the running at work statement. Depending on how big a company is and its corresponding IT department, you may well simply be locked out of Internet sites like YouTube.

The same IT department can also be running a keystroke logger... Just saying! Some companies don't allow much other than "work related" activities on company computers. Even more so if it's a government computer system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, outfit I worked for would let you go anywhere (anywhere decent at least, didn't try indecent) but limited on downloading files. If you tried to download an executable for instance a nice person at corporate IT would pop up on the screen and ask if she could help you. Legitimate downloads within corporate policy OK but of course they were defending the system against viruses. Particularly important now with ransomware (though any IT guy worth his salt would insist on 100% air gapped backup. There's even a Star Trek: TNG episode where that was critical.)

Which explains a lot.
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I guess I should have added that other laptops running Window 8.1 and my chrome book work just fine. No IT guys here, but many think I am. LOL

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Get rid of Windows and get a MAC. Upgrades are free, backward compatible, on-line help is free (you wouldn't have to ask on the Fire), the on-line people are Americans, and if they can't fix it right then, they make you an appointment at the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store. BTW: MACs run the Microsoft Office suite and updates to that are free too.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22
I guess I should have added that other laptops running Window 8.1 and my chrome book work just fine. No IT guys here, but many think I am. LOL

Reset to default settings yet? Somehow my Firefox settings got scrambled and that was much easier than spelunking the settings (about:config).

Since Chrome still supports Windows 7 it has to be that particular installation of Chrome that's screwed up.

Which explains a lot.
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I haven't yet, but getting ready to try.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
All Right!!! It's working so far nighthawk. Thanks a bunch.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Update to the latest version of Chrome

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Scott62
Update to the latest version of Chrome

I thought I did. I'll recheck but I just reformatted again and reinstalled Chrome. It still was not allowing youtube to play.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool. Appreciate knowing what happened, too often one is left wondering.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
depending on the error message follow the step in one of the results :

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fix+for+chrome+youtube

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Get rid of Windows and get a MAC. Upgrades are free, backward compatible, on-line help is free (you wouldn't have to ask on the Fire), the on-line people are Americans, and if they can't fix it right then, they make you an appointment at the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store. BTW: MACs run the Microsoft Office suite and updates to that are free too.

Did you read the OP's post - it is AT WORK.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.