Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think it would look better at the other end. I have a nice English double with a butt plate nicely inletted at the top with a widows peak (?) don’t if that is the proper name but it looks really good.

I don’t know how to add a photo.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I like the ebony schnabel but not the angled joint, an inletted ebony wedge like on Winchesters is classy looking too.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MnFn
I think it would look better at the other end. I have a nice English double with a butt plate nicely inletted at the top with a widows peak (?) don’t if that is the proper name but it looks really good.

I don’t know how to add a photo.

Figure it out! Love to see it. (Yes, widow's peak.)

I've done ebony butt plates, grip caps, and forearm tips so I'm prejudiced in that regard. As long as they're done tastefully they add nothing but class, IMO. I never worked with buffalo horn, another classy add on.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I like the ebony schnabel but not the angled joint, an inletted ebony wedge like on Winchesters is classy looking too.

I thought the same thing, but after looking more closely I think the photo is at an angle, not the joint.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Personally, I think an ebony schnabel tip looks kind of dumb. Were it me I would put a narrow wedge of ebony into the existing schnabel. That is an elegant touch I've seen a lot on European guns, and American single shot rifles. If you do end up re-creating a schnabel make it as small as you think is right, and then make it smaller. We Americans have never mastered the schnabel as well as the Germanic 'smiths did.

I've done ebony grip caps on a couple rifle stocks and am rather fond of that look. One word of advice there that I learned the hard way: keep it a low profile as the temptation to do a big bulbuous cap is strong and ends up unbalancing the lines of the stock. Since it's essentially a long grain to long grain glue joint you can epoxy it on and forget about it forever and ever, amen.

What he said...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
I've had this picture saved for so long I don't remember where I found it. Classy way to do an ebony schnabel.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,616
Posts18,511,798
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.