Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thumbs up or down?

Would be used on a "general-purpose" AR-15 carbine, which is currently sporting its original iron sights.

Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Got one a couple of months ago. Thumbs up.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Holds zero.

Biggest benefit is that you can leave it on all the time, insteada havin to hit a switch to light it up.

Change batteries on your birthday ever other year, and you're covered.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Aimpoint is never a bad decision

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
have one that's been mounted on an AR for a couple of years now. One of my sons uses it in 2-gun matches. Not a single problem. It's clear and it's easy to adjust the dot brightness for indoor/outdoor use.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't like the mount but the sight is excellent. Get one in a package deal from your favorite mount maker and your GTG.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Thumbs up - and the mount is solid, I (unintentionally) tried to break one off over many months, and never go it done.

The knob on the mount protrudes out more than I'd like, but it held up to abuse, and never lost zero.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My buddy has one that lost zero, further inspection found the screws had loosened and it was canted. He ordered an ADM mount and it's been fine for the last 3 years or so.

The knob does suck as well... Just my opinion

P
P
Great optic! I've had one for years with no issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's GTG. I'd change the battery yearly if you leave it on all the time but that's not a big deal. We've had problems with the same mount on CompM2s. It's not bad, but I'd watch it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
I don't like the mount but the sight is excellent. Get one in a package deal from your favorite mount maker and your GTG.

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Obviously, knowledge of ARs and red dot sights isn't my forte, so I can't say that I have a favorite mount maker. I was thinking the Aimpoint PRO with the included mount would be among the highest quality "budget" red dot optics. It sounds like it might be worth spending slightly more to add a better mount. If this is the case, what are among the best "budget" mount packages for an Aimpoint PRO?

I've seen the Aimpoint PRO with included mount priced at $441 from several online dealers. The ADM package is shown at $475 on ADM's website. Larue sells packages between $515 and $573. I don't see a package deal on Bobro's website, but their Aimpoint mount sells for about $150, so the Bobro package purchased separately would be about $590.

Are there other mounts I should look at besides the three mentioned above?

How about mount heights? Is a "standard" mount best for general use? What are the advantages of a "high" mount? Are the height differences dependent upon the shooter's preference with regard to head position when mounting the stock or whether the shooter wants to co-witness the front sight?

Edited to add:

I just found this Scalarworks mount bundle for $499, but it's out of stock. Their website and product info look impressive, but I'm not familiar with this manufacturer. Here is a link:

Scalarworks

Last edited by CoalCracker; 08/07/19.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Right now Sport Optics has them for $418 but that's with the Aimpoint mount. If you can wait on a sale, likely Labor day, the mount companies usually do pretty good sales.

As for height, I can use either lower 1/3rd or straight co-witness. I kinda prefer lower 1/3 rd with a fixed front sight but if I plan on shooting irons through the dot, I like straight co-witness. Everyone seems to be different on this.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great battery life, durable, good price! Thumbs up in my book. I've had one since 2012.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use one on a work gun, a 10.5" MK18 type platform.

It is super reliable. Not expensive. No complaints.

They have been very well vetted.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Keep in mind there is a really nice guy with a new one in the box for 370 in the classifieds

I was going,to,post a question and sure I can get the answer
I have a propoint 3x that I want to mount but they don't come with a mount
What do I need to know to buy one of those? Mount that is

I am really in the dark

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (222ND, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,607
Posts18,511,623
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.