Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
odoh Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Several guys at the range have varying options on the best/accurate method of shooting from the bench. Some promoted the barrel rest, others frame or butt/grip rest. Which method provides consistant results?

Thanks in advance

Note: This post may contain mispellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post
~ Smartfix
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
anytime you rest on the barrel your putting upward pressure on the barrel.

for myself I have a carpet wrapped 4x4 block maybe 10inches long, on top of that I use another piece of carpet rolled tight and wrapped it duct tape, that maybe 4inches diameter. I always rest the handgun on the frame right in front of the trigger gaurd. I'm sure their's alot of other ways but that works for me and cost almost nothing to make.

also found a 50cal ammo can upside down with the carpet roll on top also works when I can't find the block.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Differnt type of handguns like differnt types of rest, hence the differnt opinions that you have encountered

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I use a combo of bull bag, sand bags, and old towels. I build a little wedge in the sand bags on the bull bag with the gun and, then I cover the bag areas where I'm going to get side blast at with a few layers of old towels or narrow carpet stips. Then I push the gun up into that area so that only the frame is touching bags and the barrel is extended out from the pyramid of bags, unencumbered. If it's not a revolver, but an auto or single shot, you don't have to worry about side blast, just forward from the muzzle around, so those areas in front of, to the sides of, under, and a little behind, need covered too, to keep the bags from getting ruined. I support my hands with bags to steady that end. It makes a pretty solid rest for me.

I support my 10.5" 460 and 500 that way and it works as good as any purchased pistol rest I've tried. Not to say bags are free, just the opposite is true, but they are more versatile than anything else a guy can invest in to shoot off of.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Actually, to be more consistent with shooting on and off the range, use a rest to rest your forearms / wrists. Allow the pistol to be held and recoil naturally in your hands. The rest under your wrists will allow a very steady sight picture and allow natural recoil to take place so your point of impact doesn't change when shooting afield.

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

IC B2

odoh Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
"BTW - Isn't my grandson beautiful?"

Yes he is ~ but isn't that why he is a 'grand' son? smile

Last edited by odoh; 04/29/07.

Note: This post may contain mispellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post
~ Smartfix
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by odoh
Several guys at the range have varying options on the best/accurate method of shooting from the bench. Some promoted the barrel rest, others frame or butt/grip rest. Which method provides consistant results?

Thanks in advance

In my experience - whatever you do consistently will provide consistent results. I find resting the barrel easier to do consistently than resting the grip. The difference between rested shots and off-hand shots from a handgun will not be enough to matter unless you're doing bullseye competition. And if that's the case, you'll be able to see any difference and correct your sight adjustment accordingly.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In addition to that - some shooters may argue my point that it makes little difference, and if they have a problem with "consistently" flinching or leaning on the trigger from recoil anticipation, they may be right (for themselves). If you are grouping significantly different from your barrel-rested groups at normal handgun ranges (or beyond, for that matter) it is most likely that your free-hand shooting is flawed. This is assuming that your barrel is "rested" and not somehow held fast (clamped, downward pressure, etc) to a rest.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like to really extend my arms and almost "lay" on the table using a Block rest and sandfilled old jean bags hotglued together,especially when using the Magnums or a really lightweight toy.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 20 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.